This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Had An Allergy Test, Distraught!

snipe12

snipe12 Rookie

I have just had an allergy test and I am deeply saddened by the results. I just can't catch a break these days.

It seems I am allergic to not only Gluten (as if that diet isn't hard enough) but also Wheat, Oats, Yeast, Soy, Dairy.

I went gluten free for about 3 or 4 months and I was coping but in the end I just gave up as I wasn't 100% sure if I was allergic.

Now that I have the results back there is a reason I lost so much weight.

I am just so depressed right now. A gluten free diet is extremely hard and pretty much takes a lot of effort especially if I plan to go out for dinner. To top it all off I now also have to avoid yeast so no more Alcohol, not even vodka or wine which is bad enough but I am only 24 and enjoy going out. I don't care about the dairy since I have been avoiding as a choice anyway.

So f**ked off right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Hang in there it will be ok.

Did they say how sensitive you are to these things? Some people in my family are sensitive to certain things but if they eat them in moderation they can tolerate it just not if they go pigging out on it. You may be able to have these things in moderation.

You mentioned you were not only allergic to gluten but wheat,oats, etc as well. Wheat and Oats are a part of gluten(from the post you wrote I'm not sure if you knew that...you might have but I'm just clarifying that)

Dairy sensitivity can come frim celiac...I used to be lactose intolerant on and off my whole life..when I went gluten free and my intestines healed then I was fine with all of milk.

Good luck :D

ianm Apprentice

Be glad you know at 24 what the problem is. It is much easier to pick up the pieces at 24 than it is at 36 when I finally found out what was wrong. The gluten-free diet takes some getting used to but in time it becomes a habit. Breaking your old eating habits are the hard part. Once you have achieved that you will wonder what the fuss was all about. I have discovered so many new and better things to eat that I just don't miss the stuff I can't eat. Keep at it because it will pay off when you are older.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Don't let avoiding alcohol stop you from going out. I know, it's not the same being completely sober (and I mean that in the good way - I don't drink often, but enjoy the times I do), but sometimes your mindset can get you 50% of the way there. (I'm trying to be "it's not all bad" - sorry if you're still in the mode where this make you more angry, I know it takes a while to get past that. I also know it'll come back.)

BTW, I'm curious with the yeast allergy, why vodka would also be out, since it's not fermented? (I know that wine runs the risk of developing some yeast during the aging process, but vodka's distilled...)

One other way to look at it - out of those five things that you're allergic to, you already had eliminated 60% of them. You solved 60% of your problem before, so you already know that solution! (I'm really pulling on anything here...)

kvogt Rookie

I have to be concerned about yeast too, so I contacted my favorite bourbon distiller regarding yeast content and was informed that yeast does not pass through the distillation process.

snipe12 Rookie

Thanks KaitiUSA, I was only kind of half aware about the oats. For some reason I thought they did contain gluten but was not the same kind so I thought some people could tolerate it but a friend tells me that oats just have a lot less gluten which is why a select few can tolerate it.

I had also heard the same about dairy but to be honest I don't really like having milk anyway so not that bothered.

tarnalberry, alcohol is a big thing for me. I am not that confident when I am out and about and the alcohol relaxes me a lot so that I have a much better time.

BTW, I'm curious with the yeast allergy, why vodka would also be out, since it's not fermented? (I know that wine runs the risk of developing some yeast during the aging process, but vodka's distilled...)

Really, it is amazing how much crap is on the internet. I knew gluten couldn't get through the distillation process from a post I read on this forum and other research which is why I always drank vodka, whisky or wine but I thought the yeast would be a problem from stuff I read. I will have to check in to that one but it will be great if it is still ok to drink.

Thanks for all your messages.

kabowman Explorer

Most of the vodka's I found are made from grain and DO make me sick. I haven't tried the potato vodka yet.

I have similar problems and CAN drink Rum and Tequilla - however, I make my own mix with lemon/lime and mix the rum with tea. These are the ONLY two I have found that don't bother me - give them a try and it is now margarita season!!!! Perfect for sitting on the deck. I have even taken my mix into bars/grills and just ordered shots with a glass of ice (then added my safe to drink stuff).

I can eat fruit as long as it isn't too ripe and freeze anything baked before it gets a chance to grow yeast.

All vinegar has yeast = no condiments. I have yet to find one that doesn't make me sick.

Tomatoes have similar yeast - try to see if you can eat. I can eat them, but in small doses, once or twice a week, but NEVER back-to-back!

Good luck - watch out for the soy, it is in everything!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

snipe12 Rookie

kabowman, thanks for the info.

As we both have very similar allergies can you give me a basic idea of what you eat. I would really appreciate it. Just struggling at the moment for ideas.

kabowman Explorer

My diet consists "mostly" of:

- Plain meat (salt/pepper/garlic/herbs/lemon)

- Plain veggies (ditto)

We only use olive oil (100% pure) at home. I eat meat and veggies at every meal. I add in potatoes or rice for lunch and dinner. Snacks are carrots, rice crackers, potato chips made in canolla, sunflower, olive oil. That is the bulk of my diet. We add lemon to fish and chicken a lot. Use herbs for flavor.

This is a very limited diet and difficult to adjust to but once you do adjust, and you start adding in the herbs, those make a huge difference. If I don't cook - I don't eat. You can still have corn so your diet may not be as restrictive, I think corn is in more than gluten and soy combined.

I make my own soup stock because I haven't found any that don't make me sick. That will add a lot to your cooking too.

No butter/margarine - all contain dairy or soy. To bake, substitute oil in liquid or solid form, depending on how it is in the receipe.

I treat myself occasionally to bread and mixes from the health food store for variety. Just read ingredients and be happy when you do find something that works.

Hope this helps - let me know if something is unclear or if you have more questions...

tarnalberry Community Regular

There is a thought that ghee may be acceptable for those who are casein intolerant. I'd never suggest someone with an anaphylactic milk allergy try it, but less severe allergies... it might be worth it. (Ghee is produced from butter, but has all the solids (and hence all the protein) separated and removed (by heating and skimming, not by adding chemicals). Of course, that's a personal call, and while I have some in the fridge, I haven't used it in a while, 'cause I'm paranoid. ;-)

You might also try heading over to the Gluten-free Casein-free groups on Yahoo. There are a couple of groups of parents of autistic/spectrum kids who use the Gluten-free Casein-free diet to help their kids. They have a number of Gluten-free Casein-free resources, and since many of them are soy free as well (some yeast free too), they're familiar with the sort of restrictions you're going through. I know there is at least one GFCFSF margerine... but I think it's for passover only, and they're sold out. :-(

As for the alcohol thing... The self-improvement kick in me wants to say "well, that confidence is something you can work on naturally... maybe having to do it yourself and not rely on the alcohol will help you grow as a person" but... well, wishful thinking is only wishful thinking and doesn't make ourselves change over night. (I know I'd have a hard time getting out on a dance floor... :-D)

Guest nini

I know it feels like your world has come to an end, as you know it, but really, this is the start of a brand new life of feeling better! As a wise woman said to me "have a cookie" Enjoy Life Foods has a line of products that are free of all common allergens, I believe free of all the ones you listed.There is also the Sun Flour Baking Company that makes yummy gluten-free cookies.

Cookies make everything better!

Guest nini

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

both of these companies have yummy treats, so don't feel so down and HAVE A COOKIE!!!!!

enjoy life foods cookies are yeast free, but stay away from the bagels and bread

sunflour baking company also makes products with wheat, but they are very careful and I haven't had any probs with cross contamination.

SabrinaLuvsGluten Apprentice

I wanted to say that its a good time to maybe find passover margarine that is free of dairy/soy/ and corn!!! There is Mothers margarine, kosher for passover, and Migdal kosher for passover. My son is allergic to all 3, so I really look foward to passover so that these products are available.

SabrinaLuvsGluten Apprentice

I wanted to say that its a good time to maybe find passover margarine that is free of dairy/soy/ and corn!!! There is Mothers margarine, kosher for passover, and Migdal kosher for passover. My son is allergic to all 3, so I really look foward to passover so that these products are available.

Archived