This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Need Help For My Trip To France

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Hi- I am desperately trying to find any information I can on gluten free dining in Cannes, France. Can anyone help? I dont speak french & dont know where to look

thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jonnyb11 Newbie

Hi, when are you going? or have you been?

Generally in France its pretty easy. if you stick restaurants that are not 'chains' they will usually make everything onsite. You can ask if suases have Gluten, or wheat (Ble) or flour(farine). It helps to at least try and speak French as you will get a much better reaction. Its a Frenc thing, if you speak English right away they will close up on you. If you try and speak some French they will be as friendly as they can generally help you out. Well thats my experience.

Most of the major Hypermarche will stock some gltuen free stuff. I find Scharr to be the best.

Stear clear of 'industriel' stuff, or mass produced processed crap and you should be ok. Its quite easy to eat gluten free here. You obviosly dont get al lthe choice but when do we?

Hope this helps a little

Jonnyb11 Newbie

almost forgot check this site out

www.afdiag.org

there is a page you can print out at take to restaurants etc, it has two columns Autorises (allowed) and interdits (forbidden).

this may be useful also

• 3 weeks later...
jasonD2 Experienced

Im going to Cannes in 2 months and am paranoid that Im gonna starve to death. I am going to ship a box of nonperishable foods to my hotel but it would be a damn shame if i couldnt sample some of their native cuisine. i dont speak a word of french and have no idea where i can eat or shop and what to look for. there are limited resources on the web and most of them are in french. can anyone help? since 95% of french cuisine is dairy and wheat i feel like im gonna be screwed no matter what. shouldi just assume that i will be ingesting gluten on this trip, try to enjoy myself and heal when i return?

Mango04 Enthusiast
shouldi just assume that i will be ingesting gluten on this trip, try to enjoy myself and heal when i return?

No.

I responded to one of your first threads about this a while back. I've had great luck in France (gluten, dairy and soy-free, and I don't speak French either, and I didn't have a kitchen).

You shouldn't expect to be able to eat the local cuisine, but there should be enough food for you to eat there.

• 3 weeks later...
jasonD2 Experienced

ive complained on here repeatedly about my business trip to France and how im gonna handle the food situation. If you saw what I was doing to plan for the trip you would all think im nuts...im actually shipping a box of food to my hotel so I will always have backup food and am carefully & elaborately planning what type of food to bring for the long ass flight.

Fortunately or unfortunately i was also recently diagnosed with candida & bacterial overgrowth, so ive been on a strict candida diet for 1 month and I may have to break the diet just to survive on this trip. finding safe food is gonna be challenging enough, but with the added stress of avoiding sugar and carbs i just wont be able to survive. My question is will going back on my carb/sugar diet for 7 days reverse all the progress that i already made? I will still continue with supplementation and obviously not binge on sugar...but ill be in france so i'm gonna wanna have some good wine and chill out a bit

thanks

missy'smom Collaborator

You're not nuts, I've done the same. Ordered food from an online store and had it delivered to the place I was staying overeas. Had around 18 hrs.+ enroute to my destination-took 3 flights and one bus trip before I got to where I was going, paid alot more for an airline that had gluten-free meals, took backup emergency meals and snacks, just in case of layovers, flight changes etc. Made it through just fine and didn't even need most of my emergency back-up. Was glad that I had food/ingredients delivered to my destination, but didn't need all of that either and ended bringing alot home. Made it in one piece and was just fine. Been there done that. It does feel a bit nuts the things we go through sometimes though and you catch yourself thinking "who does this!?" But then I think of the people out there who are putting junk in their bodies everyday and feeling miserable(and I've been there too) and I think it's worth what I go through to enjoy what I can in my life and feel as good as I can.

Before leaving, I made a decision to chose to enjoy the things that I could( and knew in advance what they might be) and I did. There were planety of negatives that came up, many non-food related, but it was still worth it.

As we speak, I'm "elaborately planning" meals for a road trip next month. I have additional restrictions too-even the timing and portions/balance of my meals. You're not alone.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
GFinDC Veteran

Hi Jason,

I suggest you get some DPP- 4 or DPP-IV enzyme. It won't make you able to eat gluten on purpose. But it may help with minor cc issues. And some Pepto Bismol for the road too. I think you would do well to take at least one of these DPP-IV before you eat at any restaraunt or maybe a couple before eating. And then maybe take a few here and there throughout the day if you think you got some gluten. This stuff isn't a cure all but I do think it helps a little. And people in our situation can use a little help after all. Vitacost ships pretty fast so I think you would have time to get some before your trip. I just ordered 4 more bottles and got them in about 3 days. There may be other suppliers out there too I just haven't looked for them myself.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the sights and sounds of France! I'd love to go there someday as I paint for fun and it seems like a great place for that. Very scenic and romantic views. Take lots of pictures Jason and try to enjoy the visit!

Open Original Shared Link

DILIROTH Newbie

Hi,

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to visit Cannes but I have heard that they are much more accommodating to English speakers.

If you are staying at a large hotel they will probably have a breakfast menu. If you can tolerate eggs, you can always order omelets and also they usually offer these for lunches. Usually there will be a staff member at the hotel that speaks English. You can also email ahead and ask them for suggestions. If you can tolerate dairy

• 4 months later...
Cookie--Monster Newbie

As you dont speak French, this site has free language cards you can print out and take to the restaurant with you explaining the dietary requirements. They have them in 48 languages, including French. Beware though some sites try to sell you these...

Open Original Shared Link - they're down the bottom of the page

Archived