#1 Kimmy913

Kimmy913

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Hello Guys,
I am new to Celiac. I was diagnosed in June. I am doing much better being Gluten free! I am 20 years old going on 21 in less than a month! I am looking forward to my birthday, but not to excited because I would like to have cake like every other year. Does anybody have suggestions of cake, should I buy a store bought mix or does anybody know of any gluten free bakery's in NJ? I have heard about the Betty Crocker Cake mix but I can not fine them in a store near me. Does anybody have any suggestions!? Also What should I do about the Icing? I don't think the Icing is gluten free. Well if anybody could help that would be great.
Thanks!!
Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nasalady

nasalady

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

Hello Guys,
I am new to Celiac. I was diagnosed in June. I am doing much better being Gluten free! I am 20 years old going on 21 in less than a month! I am looking forward to my birthday, but not to excited because I would like to have cake like every other year. Does anybody have suggestions of cake, should I buy a store bought mix or does anybody know of any gluten free bakery's in NJ? I have heard about the Betty Crocker Cake mix but I can not fine them in a store near me. Does anybody have any suggestions!? Also What should I do about the Icing? I don't think the Icing is gluten free. Well if anybody could help that would be great.
Thanks!!
Kim

Hi Kim,

I just used the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix for my son's birthday and it was REALLY good!! I seriously don't think anyone could tell it was gluten free!

I couldn't find it in the store either, so I ordered it online (send me a PM and I can tell you where I got it). For a two-layer cake I had to use two boxes because each box only makes one layer or 12 cupcakes.

For the icing, I just bought some powdered sugar at the grocery store and followed the directions on the back to make buttercream frosting. The powdered sugar contains only sugar and cornstarch, and for buttercream frosting you will also need milk and butter. There are lots of recipes around for gluten free cakes and frostings though, including here on this site, if you don't want to use Betty Crocker.

You live in New Jersey....do you ever drive in to the Big Apple? Because there is a gluten free bakery called Babycakes NYC that is supposed to be fantastic! Might be too far to go though.

Well, whatever you do, I hope you have a Happy Birthday!
JoAnn
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#3 wildwood

wildwood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:45 AM

Hello Guys,
Thanks!!
Kim

I could not find the Betty Crocker mixes at first either, but it was because I was looking in the gluten free/health food section of the store. All of the stores in my area actually stock them in the same area as the regular cake mixes. I have only tried the yellow cake mix once and it was good. Just be aware it only makes half of what a box of regular cake mix will so you may have to buy two boxes. A little pricey in this respect. I have not tried any of the other mixes.

#4 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Kinnikinnick white and chocolate cake mixes are fabulous...again, no one could ever tell they were gluten-free. I personally like homemade frosting better than store bought, so we make buttercream and chocolate. And it keeps really great in the fridge and makes an excellent dip for "graham" crackers or animal cookies or you can just dip your finger in it and say the heck with the cookie part! Not that I'd ever do that! (I prefer a spoonful myself!)

#5 Kimmy913

Kimmy913

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hey!
Thank you everybody!!!
I will keep my eyes out and I think I will try to make the frosting myself! "wildwood" I am taking it you live in Wildwood NJ? So all the stores around you sell it. I am in wildwood every other weekend because we have a shore house down there.

Yes I do go to the big apple! I usually go about 3 times a year! I would have to out the bakery.
Thank you everybody for all your help. I will update you guys on how it goes.
Thanks and thanks for the birthday wish!
Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: