23 replies to this topic

#1 CeciliaCeliac

CeciliaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone heard of the link between type O blood type and Celiac? A friend was told by a doctor that since she had type O blood, a gluten free diet might help her. Any news?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Dr.Adamo has book eat for your specific blood type. SOme believe in this & others totally disagree. O type is the oldest blood type , way before grains were introduced . O bloodtypes are meat eaters not grain eaters.
In years passed I never ate much meat but before celiac I was told I needed to eat some meat or more meat. After I learned to eat more meat I started to have more energy & felt a bit better. I now eat meat almost daily not alot but the appriorate amount.
hth
mamaw

#3 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

I agree with mawmaw. Some say a type O person is more likely to have celiac than others, particularly if you are of north European extraction (since 33 % of north Europeans have the gene potential to get celiac--that and Italians probably due to interbreeding during Roman times as well as Viking incursions previous to that). Type O is the oldest blood type from pre-Agrarian times and thus developed before grains became such a large part of the human diet. No matter what, type O's seem to do better with eating some meat rather than be a vegetarian.

Glutenous grains were introduced to North Europeans roughly 1200 to 1500 years later than in the rest of Europe.

The original "bread basket" was in Mesopotamia. Back then barley was the first glutenous grain used. It and the early forms of wheat had far less gluten than what is produced today. Ironically grain produced in the north has more gluten in it due to the shorter growing season.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#4 jststric

jststric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

I read that Blood Type Diet book and I am also O negative. According to the book O's are the ones that need to be the most limited to be "optimal". And much of what it said seemed to ring true about the foods that I have become intolerant of. I am the carnivore also. I always thought it was because I grew up in the midwest, lol. I have no idea about the supposed link between Celiacs and O blood-types, but it IS an interesting read and it DID have me pretty much correctly pegged.

#5 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:27 AM

I'm AB+. It would be interesting to take a poll to see if there is anything to this. My guess is no.

#6 daphniela

daphniela

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

My blood type is A+. If O blood types are more susceptible to Celiac, then that would make most the population of the world Celiac. It could be possible. There are more type O's in the world. O+ is the most common blood type. O- is the rarest.

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

My blood type is A+. If O blood types are more susceptible to Celiac, then that would make most the population of the world Celiac. It could be possible. There are more type O's in the world. O+ is the most common blood type. O- is the rarest.

While O- is rare than O+ and A+, it's not the rarest. B- and AB- are much much rarer.

As for the blood type diet, IMO it's pure nonsense.

richard

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

There was a poll a while back, I'm not sure if it was this site or the delphi site. The bloodtype diet is head -on for some & others it is totally off. I'm O- as well as daughter, brother & we all are celiac..... I do know how much better I am without wheat & gluten ...
I also know many medical professionals that do not eat wheat or gluten because it has been so altered that most do not digest it properly. If only we were cows with a couple of stomachs to digest this poison!!!!
I know we will never go back......

mamaw

#9 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

It would be interesting if there was real scientific studies behind these claims.

I do know that while many in my family either have celiac or are gluten intolerant, I am the only one that has type O blood--and I am a lot more sensitive than the rest of them.

Nevertheless, we all are related to everyone else, so its a bit of a genetic stew at this point as to whose blood type is what and whether or not they have celiac!

Meanwhile if you are North European or Italian, your chances go way up to have celiac; and in my opinion if you have type O blood too, it makes it even more likely. However I could well be wrong! No matter what though, being a vegetarian for such a person might be difficult at best.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#10 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Well, My sister the celiac is a Type A+, as is our dad, and myself. All gluten intolerant, and I am much more severe in my intolerance's then either of them.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hee! I'm O+, Italian (on both sides) and Celiac.

I don't think there's much to the Blood Type Diet, though.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

Has anyone heard of the link between type O blood type and Celiac? A friend was told by a doctor that since she had type O blood, a gluten free diet might help her. Any news?

From a post by Mother of Jibril in an earlier thread:

"....according the American Red Cross, here's the prevalence of each blood type in the US population:

O pos - 38%
O neg - 7%
A pos - 34%
A neg - 6%
B pos - 9%
B neg - 2%
AB pos - 3%
AB neg -1%"

O+ is the most common type.

Please understand that there is absolutely NO clinical research that proves that this diet is valid.

The Blood Type diet was developed by a naturopath named Peter DíAdamo. This guy is NOT a medical doctor...he has a doctorate in naturopathy. His book, Eat Right For Your Blood Type, says the key to weight loss lies in a humanís blood type.

Which is absolutely ridiculous, if you ask me. You might as well base your diet on your eye color.

Don't get mad at me now! :P

I have A negative blood, and I have celiac disease. I do best on a low carb diet. I know this because I've tried literally everything. I know what D'Adamo recommends that I eat based on my blood type and it would NOT be good for me to follow his diet.

OK....that's my rant, and my 2 cents worth. I just don't want to see people get confused with stuff like the blood type diet.
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#13 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

For Me I did not stop eating wheat because of his book! I was gluten free way before I read his book & Again I think some may fall under his theory by fluke!
For another family member it is way off, not even close!
I have one celiac gene & 1 gluten intolerant.....
I can't say I buy into the book..........
mamaw

#14 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

P.S. Everyone is descended from the same group of hunter-gatherers, and that likely means everyone will do best on the "paleo diet". Which means meat, veggies, and fruit. Period. No grains.
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

P.S. Everyone is descended from the same group of hunter-gatherers, and that likely means everyone will do best on the "paleo diet". Which means meat, veggies, and fruit. Period. No grains.

I know I do :D And in many ways, not just digestive.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: