4 replies to this topic

#1 neylanagrace

neylanagrace

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Can a person with Celiac's be an organ donor do you think? No, I'm not planning on kicking the bucket.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 The Fluffy Assassin

The Fluffy Assassin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

Can a person with Celiac's be an organ donor do you think? No, I'm not planning on kicking the bucket.

Short answer is yes: http://answers.hrsa....amp;p_topview=1
(quite a URL that is). Now, whether we'll have any organs fit to donate when we're done with them is another question.
The fluffy assassin? My cat, Amelia. Just fluffy, really.
About '02, lactose intolerance hit. Quit gluten in late '07. Immediately had better energy, less anxiety.
By '09, no lactose intolerance, but I gave up dairy 7/18/09 anyway (and in August soy). Restarted dairy, Nov' '10; stopped for good, December.
9/12/09 Wound up in the emergency room with what turned out to be hypothyroid symptoms. Resolved quickly when I got my iodine levels up. If you're on a whole foods diet, make sure you get enough iodine. Believe me!
PS: Fluoridation sucks.
PPS: You might enjoy my blog, Writing When The Cat Lets Me.

#3 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

I actually wropte to the MN chapter of the organ donation people and asked about bone marrow. They never answered me back (outside of an auto-reply), which I took as a no.

I don't think very much study has been done on certain aspects of this (like the marrow question). I read on a post here some time ago that because the marrow makes certain kinds of cells, the disease might transfer. That's why I wrote to them.

The red cross will take our blood (if we are feeling well enough). Note, though, that they do not screen blood for gliadin (from an untreated celiac, say.)

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

I believe you can donate if you are in good health and do not show signs of any complications from Celiac Disease.

#5 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

To make a long story short, I am an undiagnosed celiac, with positive results on the diet. Have been to a GI doctor who specializes in Celiac, said that I did not need testing because I would test negative anyway because I was already on the Gluten-Free diet for about 1 year.

I was just approved to donate a kidney to my mother who has poly-cystic kidney disease. She has been on Dialysis for 3 1/2 years now. The surgery was scheduled for September 8. Due to unforseen circumstances, we postponed the surgery for a few months....

SO, yes you can be an organ donor, even with Celiac Disease.....

Wenmin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: