This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Gaestroesophigal Reflux

GFgirly

GFgirly Newbie

I was wondering if anyone else has experience chronic acid reflux along with celiac's? For me, the problems started 2 years ago when I missed an entire month of school because i was in so much pain. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until my regular doctor referred me to a gaestroenterologist who scoped and diagnosed me with GERD. I stayed on medication for 2 1/2 years and things were going well until suddenly things took a turn for the worse. At the time I needed to medicate every time before I ate in order to bring down the nausea so that I could eat more comfortably. I had stomach aches all the time and had such bad anxiety, mood swings, depression etc. the I was prescribed Klonopin. After a visiting both my therapist and my doctor I decided it was time to go back to my gaestroenerologist. My doctor scoped me again to tell me that not only was the GERD acting up again, I had a linear ulcer and signs of celiacs. Ive been on the diet for about a month and since then I barely need to medicate. My neurological symptoms have calmed down considerably but have yet to disappear. I'm having surgery next month to relieve my body of the acid reflux. Has anyone else experience similar problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My DD's primary GI symptom was acid reflux and ulcers. Hers was relieved promptly by the diet. I had some problems with reflux but they were insignificant to me because I had so many other issues. For both myself and my DD pepto bismal liquid brought significant relief from the pain, better than the meds prescribed. If you have gotten a great deal of relief from the diet I would make sure the doctor knows this. If you are no longer having symptoms surgery may not be needed. As for the neuro issues those effect me heavily and I was totally shocked at the improvement I saw on the diet. I had no idea that my nerve issues could be related to the celiac when I was diagnosed.

chiroptera Apprentice

With one of my twin daughters, her symptoms were more "typical" i.e. gastro. Her sisters, however, were not. SHe suffered from severe GERD and nausea. They have been gluten free for 10 weeks now and she is starting to see an improvement, slowly but surely. The gastroenterologist put her on prevacid, which I agreed to have her try for 4 to 6 weeks, but it is making no difference. I have heard of many people who once they go off gluten and they heal, do not have reflux. My daughter also tested sensitive to eggs and casein, so we are taking her off the drug (we don't like drugs anyhow) and going egg and casein free very soon. I have a feeling her reflux may completely disappear. I never knew how much food intolerance could cause reflux.

Good luck!

mommida Enthusiast

My daughter was diagnosed with probable Celiac at 17 months old. She developed very severe acid reflux and gerd symptoms last year and by December was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. EE seems to be "triggered" by certain foods. (It's different for everyone and could be airborn.)

I found more people with EE here on this site than I did searching on EE sites. For some people with EE, gluten is their "trigger".

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Since going gluten-free in early June my reflux has diminished to a point that I only take a prevacid solutab every 3 or 4 days. Before going gluten-free, I couldn't sleep lying down without some type of med to ease the pain.

Life is GREAT without gluten, but gluten is still sneaking in here or there....

Darn210 Enthusiast
My daughter was diagnosed with probable Celiac at 17 months old. She developed very severe acid reflux and gerd symptoms last year and by December was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. EE seems to be "triggered" by certain foods. (It's different for everyone and could be airborn.)

I found more people with EE here on this site than I did searching on EE sites. For some people with EE, gluten is their "trigger".

My daughter's one and only symptom was acid reflux with regurgitation. Prevacid helped (prescribed by the pediatrician) but since it didn't completely eliminate the problem, we were referred to a ped GI. He was convinced that it was EE but screened her for Celiac (something his office does regularly for "generic" GI issues with no obvious causes). She ended up with no EE and a positive Celiac diagnosis. After going gluten free, her symptoms got much better very quickly, however, every so often she would still have a day where she had regurgitation. It took about 10 months for this to completely go away . . . I think it just took that long to completely heal.

brit-nik Newbie

my symptoms include acid reflux. it was to the point at one time that i was on nexium and was still in pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived