7 replies to this topic

#1 chelly1

chelly1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

Hi is cornflour gluten free just bought a box from supermarket and it say's suitable for vegaterians but nothing about being gluten free but on list of ingrediants all it says is cornflour.. hope no one's thinking i'm being silly but this diet is a bit confusing and supermarket labeling is getting better but not every thing is marked up yet can any one help please thankyou :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

It's not a silly question....there are no such things as silly questions here since many of us started out not knowing what celiac disease or gluten was in the first place.

Stuff in your supermarket almost always will not mention that it's suitable for celiacs...you need to call to ask on most things. In the case of corn flour, however, being that it only has that one ingredient (corn), it is gluten-free.

#3 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

chelly1,

If you are in the UK, then cornflour is what we call corn (maize) starch and is gluten-free. In the US, cornflour is maize, milled to flour consistency. Nice for fried foods.

#4 chelly1

chelly1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:53 AM

:D thanks every one for your help this diet is confusing isn't it thanks again

#5 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:46 AM

My only comment on this is that I have been buying corn flour for years - even prior to my husband being diagnosed with celiac disease. He noticed that perhaps certain brands could be cross contaminated as their packaging doesn't state GLUTEN FREE and they are:

Shiloh Farms
Bob's Red Mill

He had reaction from these...or we at least think these were the problem.

I use Ener-G Brand corn mix and use it in place of the corn flour in my receipe. It works the same as the above two.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#6 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:35 AM

I have been using the Bob's Red Mill brand and didn't notice any problems with it. Then I read that it's not run on dedicated lines. But I have only had one package and maybe got lucky. I would love to find a brand that is run on dedicated lines.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#7 chelly1

chelly1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

:huh: shopping for things is so hard, things u think are gluten-free turn out not to be or the other way around :) however my local supermarket sainsburys are getting so much better and have started to mark up a gluten-free label on all there products but i suppose this takes time so shopping is becoming easier :D but i still read all the labels i have found a few mistakes and had to telephone the head office to inform them and tell them how ill a simple mistake can cause a person with celiac disease ;) things are improving i think i'm just impatient thanks for all the handy hints on the cornflour i'm so glad i found this chat room its been so helpful at last people who understand :D

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:00 AM

cross contamination is a hard one to avoid, and I've been using Bob's stuff (the gluten-free ingredient items not produced in their gluten-free plan) without a problem, but some people do notice problems. it's not - by the anecdotal evidence - like the contamination problems that Arrowhead Mills was having (at least a little while ago) but still a risk.

if it's not specifically masa you're looking for, maybe home grinding is an option? (I don't know how to do the cooking in lime (not the fruit, the mineral) thing...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: