19 replies to this topic

#1 chelly1

chelly1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

:huh: just went out to buy my son some adidas under arm deodrant but when i looked at the list of ingreadiants it had wheat starch in it... my sons been diagnosed for 5 years and i've pretty much had to work out every thing for myself the gp and staff do not really know anything about celiac disease, and until I found this sight I was totally unaware to look at shampoo and other sanitary products. People on here have helped me so much already in the last 2 days it is unreal now shoppings gonna take a little longer but at last I know whats been makeing him still feel so rough thanks again everyone :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

Umm....does he have a skin reaction or get sick? Deodorant shouldn't be a problem (besides w/ a skin reaction) since it shouldn't get digested, thus doing damage to the villi.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

celiac3270 I agree to an extent but technically just about everything you put on your body has the chance to get into your mouth just some more then others.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:01 AM

Here's a good explanation from Richard (lovegrov) in another post:

There are several reasons for this although I am not a science type guy so my explanation won't be complete.

The patch medications that you can absorb through your skin are specifically engineered and manufactured to be absorbed. Think about it, you don't just run aspirin on your skin to get rid of a headache or antibiotic on your skin to take care of an infection. That's because you can't absorb just anything through your skin. And not even all medications can be engineered to do that, otherwise we'd be taking all our medications that way. Simple and painless.

Your skin has an inner barrier to keep most things from being absorbed. If just anything could be absorbed you couldn't ever go swimming because you'd blow up like a balloon from all that water pouring in. Or you'd suck up every bacteria or poison in the air. Even skin moisturizers aren't getting sucked into the core of your body; they're just mositurizing the outside layer.

Gluten molecules are too large to pass through this barrier, hence you don't absorb gluten through your skin. You can most certainly have a topical ALLERGIC reaction, though.

I don't worry about whether deodorant has gluten because it's hard for me to imagine it getting to my mouth. I don't lick my armpits, sticks my hands in there, or pick up food with them.

richard

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:06 AM

I know that it all has a chance, but then you could also say that there's a chance for cross-contamination is you touch anything that has been touched by a person who has eaten gluten....a keyboard, telephone, etc. I think things that get close to your mouth or very easily on your hands, such as sunscreen are more important to check than this.

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:07 AM

That is true...it will not cause harm unless it gets into your digestive tract through your mouth.(unless you also have DH)
It's the possibility of getting into your mouth that can be the bad part...other things are more important though...like things you put on your hands, head, and face...
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#7 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

If I use a deoderant with wheat or gluten in it my arm pits feel like they are on fire :o . If I use shampoo with wheat or gluten my scalp itches. I've never had any other skin problems. If I get flour on my hands I don't have a problem. Some areas of skin may just be more sensitive than others.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:33 AM

Yes....Ian, I exerienced a similar problem with deodorant recently that I hadn't had before. I used some Gilette deodorant and it burned for about 2 hours after....the next day it did the same thing. I didn't see any obvious gluten in it, but I'll go back to my old brand :lol:

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:41 AM

celiac3270-
yea that's what happened to me..it burned so bad for a while and then I got like really itchy on top of that and then started getting bumps there, and on my elbows so I threw it away and got some that was gluten free and have not had a problem since.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#10 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

Weird - I know I replied to this yesterday but I don't see it in there.

I think deoderant can get into your mouth. Have you ever had a sloppy roll on that oozes out when you are screwing on the cap? Or stick that gets on the cap when you are putting it back on, and it scrapes some off onto the outside? Ever touch it? And then just maybe, you are flossing your teeth and you had only run your hands under the water first in the sink so the deoderant (remember, it sticks pretty well, that's how it works) is still on your hand/finger? And now it's on your floss?

Ewwww but it totally could happen. I am just playing it safe and not using any external products that could have gluten in them.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#11 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

Stephanie-
Your right it is gross but it can happen....
Anything can happen when it comes to gluten...
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#12 chelly1

chelly1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:19 AM

:o jack also has the ds rash that was one of the things that i took him to the docs for before he was diagnosed with celiac disease so when i saw the wheat on the deodrant i thought better to be safe than sorry but its amazing what you find wheat and barley in but thanks for the advise i think i'll stay on this brand from now on just to be on the safe side you cant be to careful :D

#13 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

Have any of you found a gluten-free deodorant--not antiperspirant. The only one I have found for girls is Avon's liquid. My daughter would sure like something a little more updated than the one I used as a teenager all those millenia ago (well, it seems that way to her anyhow).
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:49 AM

Tom's of Maine has gluten free antiperspirant. Other ones in stores I have not found any non perspirant but there could be some there...I'm not a fan of
anti-perspirant though.

Dove has gluten free deodorant but all I have seen is antiperspirant.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#15 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:19 AM

I use the crystal. I love that thing and it lasts for ever. Definitely not an antipersperant (I agree, I don't like those), but works great on odors for 24 hours (or thereabouts).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: