This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Under Arm Deodrant

chelly1

chelly1 Apprentice
:huh: just went out to buy my son some adidas under arm deodrant but when i looked at the list of ingreadiants it had wheat starch in it... my sons been diagnosed for 5 years and i've pretty much had to work out every thing for myself the gp and staff do not really know anything about celiac disease, and until I found this sight I was totally unaware to look at shampoo and other sanitary products. People on here have helped me so much already in the last 2 days it is unreal now shoppings gonna take a little longer but at last I know whats been makeing him still feel so rough thanks again everyone :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Umm....does he have a skin reaction or get sick? Deodorant shouldn't be a problem (besides w/ a skin reaction) since it shouldn't get digested, thus doing damage to the villi.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

celiac3270 I agree to an extent but technically just about everything you put on your body has the chance to get into your mouth just some more then others.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Here's a good explanation from Richard (lovegrov) in another post:

There are several reasons for this although I am not a science type guy so my explanation won't be complete.

The patch medications that you can absorb through your skin are specifically engineered and manufactured to be absorbed. Think about it, you don't just run aspirin on your skin to get rid of a headache or antibiotic on your skin to take care of an infection. That's because you can't absorb just anything through your skin. And not even all medications can be engineered to do that, otherwise we'd be taking all our medications that way. Simple and painless.

Your skin has an inner barrier to keep most things from being absorbed. If just anything could be absorbed you couldn't ever go swimming because you'd blow up like a balloon from all that water pouring in. Or you'd suck up every bacteria or poison in the air. Even skin moisturizers aren't getting sucked into the core of your body; they're just mositurizing the outside layer.

Gluten molecules are too large to pass through this barrier, hence you don't absorb gluten through your skin. You can most certainly have a topical ALLERGIC reaction, though.

I don't worry about whether deodorant has gluten because it's hard for me to imagine it getting to my mouth. I don't lick my armpits, sticks my hands in there, or pick up food with them.

richard

celiac3270 Collaborator

I know that it all has a chance, but then you could also say that there's a chance for cross-contamination is you touch anything that has been touched by a person who has eaten gluten....a keyboard, telephone, etc. I think things that get close to your mouth or very easily on your hands, such as sunscreen are more important to check than this.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That is true...it will not cause harm unless it gets into your digestive tract through your mouth.(unless you also have DH)

It's the possibility of getting into your mouth that can be the bad part...other things are more important though...like things you put on your hands, head, and face...

ianm Apprentice

If I use a deoderant with wheat or gluten in it my arm pits feel like they are on fire :o . If I use shampoo with wheat or gluten my scalp itches. I've never had any other skin problems. If I get flour on my hands I don't have a problem. Some areas of skin may just be more sensitive than others.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes....Ian, I exerienced a similar problem with deodorant recently that I hadn't had before. I used some Gilette deodorant and it burned for about 2 hours after....the next day it did the same thing. I didn't see any obvious gluten in it, but I'll go back to my old brand :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

celiac3270-

yea that's what happened to me..it burned so bad for a while and then I got like really itchy on top of that and then started getting bumps there, and on my elbows so I threw it away and got some that was gluten free and have not had a problem since.

skbird Contributor

Weird - I know I replied to this yesterday but I don't see it in there.

I think deoderant can get into your mouth. Have you ever had a sloppy roll on that oozes out when you are screwing on the cap? Or stick that gets on the cap when you are putting it back on, and it scrapes some off onto the outside? Ever touch it? And then just maybe, you are flossing your teeth and you had only run your hands under the water first in the sink so the deoderant (remember, it sticks pretty well, that's how it works) is still on your hand/finger? And now it's on your floss?

Ewwww but it totally could happen. I am just playing it safe and not using any external products that could have gluten in them.

Stephanie

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Stephanie-

Your right it is gross but it can happen....

Anything can happen when it comes to gluten...

chelly1 Apprentice
:o jack also has the ds rash that was one of the things that i took him to the docs for before he was diagnosed with celiac disease so when i saw the wheat on the deodrant i thought better to be safe than sorry but its amazing what you find wheat and barley in but thanks for the advise i think i'll stay on this brand from now on just to be on the safe side you cant be to careful :D
cdford Contributor

Have any of you found a gluten-free deodorant--not antiperspirant. The only one I have found for girls is Avon's liquid. My daughter would sure like something a little more updated than the one I used as a teenager all those millenia ago (well, it seems that way to her anyhow).

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Tom's of Maine has gluten free antiperspirant. Other ones in stores I have not found any non perspirant but there could be some there...I'm not a fan of

anti-perspirant though.

Dove has gluten free deodorant but all I have seen is antiperspirant.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I use the crystal. I love that thing and it lasts for ever. Definitely not an antipersperant (I agree, I don't like those), but works great on odors for 24 hours (or thereabouts).

Thomas Apprentice

I think the ladies on this board, or anyone that shaves their legs should think about all the open pours on our legs and armpits (especially if you cut yourself shaving).

skbird Contributor

OK, this will sound weird but I have been using coconut oil (it amazingly works really well!) and then Tom's of Maine roll on over that. No antipersperant in that but it does well with smells. I will likely move to Dove for the summer as it gets really hot here and sweating isn't cool when you have to look professional. I also like Tuesday's Plantation Tea Tree oil deoderant. Works really well, too, but is more pricey.

Stephanie

cdford Contributor

One good thing about ignorance...it can be fixed. I must admit I am ignorant of what the "crystal" is. Can you explain?

tarnalberry Community Regular

it's just a crystal of alum, that you wet a bit to dissolve a small layer of and apply to the underarm area. it forms a thin layer of alum that doesn't get absorbed (nor can you see it/feel it) that prevents the bacteria which cause the actual odor from sweat from growing, hence no nasty smell! (of course, it doesn't stop you from sweating, so there is some usually benign scent that's associated with every person, but without the bacteria, it's not nasty, nor strong.

mela14 Enthusiast

I just started to question my body creams. I've been trying really hard with my diet and have been having other dietary challenges. Last night I decided to take a hot bath (a quick 5 minutes!) and the put on this new body lotion I got for my birthday. i wasn't having body pain but woke during the night with horrible muscle pain and a migraine. The only thng that was differnt was this new body cream. I tired to contact the manufacturer (givenchy) on line but was not successful. I am starting to think that there must have been gluten in there that could have caused me to flare so badly. I still feel horrible today. I feels like I've been glutenized...without the stomach issues. I'm just not sure anymore but I'm starting to think that it could be a possibility.

I've heard of people getting sick from inhaling it if they are in a bakery that is using hi-gluten flour. This lotion had a very strong scent that even my husband commented that the entire bedroom and sheets smelled of it! Who knows....I am so sensitive to scents that perhaps this triggered a reaction. I threw the PJ's in the wash and tonight I will change the sheets! I don't want to take any more chances! It's not worth it.

As for the deodorant.....I honestly don't know waht to think but if given the choice betwen gluten-free or not....I would opt for the gluten-free.

Good luck!

;)

Archived