23 replies to this topic

#16 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Hi aljf, :D We all do these things. It's important to take the best care of yourself that you can. I've been gluten-free since Dec. 2004, and sometimes at the beginning I would 'sneak' something which I knew had glutten. :o But, it really wasn't worth the pain and the worry that I was further damaging my body. So now I try not to eat anything harmful.

Something which helps me a LOT is to find gluten-free alternatives. There are heaps of good brands around which are gluten-free. I can't give you a list, as I'm in Australia, but I know there are many in America etc. as well.

Once I found the gluten-free alternatives, it seems to stop the binge eating, and therefore, you feel so mauch better, physically and mentally when you know you're doing the best for yourself.

Cheers, and be well. ;)
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:33 AM

I agree Mel, getting sick on purpose does not make sense. I do however remember being so angry about this, (maybe a little denial going on) that I ate the food. It was only after getting tired of being sick and tired that I decided it was not worth it.
Anyway I think sometimes you have to suck it up and make a decision that you want to live and be healthy. It can cause way too many problems and other illness's like cancer to keep eating it.
In the end aljf it's really up to you.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#18 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:34 AM

Yea, I don't get eating gluten on purpose either. I had mild gastro symptoms for a long time and used to think I might be able to "plan" a gluten cheat... a beer here, a yummy piece of homemade bread there... but then I realized that I'd become so sensitive that there are no on purpose cheats for me!

I have that "romantic" craving for gluten. It's like smoking. I know darn well that it makes you cough and feel lousy... but I still crave a smoke. I want to feel it go into my lungs and see it blowing thru my lips. I know... it's sick.

I still don't have all the symptoms I read about on this board, thank goodness. And, from the beginning (loving to cook) I've always said... in the scheme of life and the things that can go wrong with people's health?? Celiac disease is nothing.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#19 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

What a good attitude! :D

offering support, my
experience and advice

#20 westiepaws

westiepaws

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

Sally is right, it is true that the longer you stay off the bad stuff, the less it tastes good when you eat it.

I am trying (and mostly succeeding) to eat all organic, too, as well as avoiding my allergic foods. The other day I tried a Coca-Cola, and you know? It tasted awful to me! It The thrill is totally gone. I'm just now adjusting to the reality of the diet and have been blue this week -- but realizing while reading this thread that not liking Coke anymore was a good thing -- that gives me hope! So you hang in there, too --

from one person "trying to accept gluten-free reality" to another.

P.S. I do most of my shopping in a market that offers tons of organic foods. I can avoid the processed foods and the bread section, the way it is organized. That helps. Once I was in the bread section and got a headache! They were baking something and the smell permeated the whole section.

#21 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:37 PM

I occasionally will have a nightmare about eating gluten! I will be dreaming along about eating breadsticks at Olive Garden, or The Garlic Bread at The Italian Oven or Outbacks Whole Grain Bread, and then I will wake up in a cold sweat thinking OMG!!!! I hope I don't get sick!!!!!!!

#22 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

That's funny nini

offering support, my
experience and advice

#23 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, and it was so true! When I posted that it made me crave garlic bread, so I had to go make a batch of Chebe Bread! Yummmmmm!

#24 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

The truth is that I have been eating a lot of gluten-free junk food (like ice cream and candy) to compensate for not being able to have gluten

I know what you mean, I get these werid cravings all the time (I didn't get them before going gluten-free) and hardley anything seems to satisfy them. However, I do find that French fries help me and Thai Kitchen Spring Onion Rice Noodle Soup. I eat Cavendish straight cut fries with Heinz ketchup and Heinz white vinegar. Whenever I get a craving I pop those in the oven. It usually works! But everyone has different cravings... just find the gluten free food alternative that works for you!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: