This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Starting Preschool

MaryannG

MaryannG Rookie

I am looking for advice on how to handle gluten free at pre-school, although this probably applies to elementary school as well. I have started drafting a letter to list the food my daughter can't have and some typical snacks she can have. I just want to make sure the school doesn't mess up giving her snacks that aren't gluten-free. I plan on supplying her snacks, but this is a precaution. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

It sounds like you are on the right track.

Tell the teacher that you can find replacements, but you need enough time to search out products. i.e. pretzel sticks, graham crackers, and such. Explain that some of these items have to be made from scratch at home.

Explain cross-contamination.

"When in doubt, go without!" Make it a mantra food your child's teachers. Explain your thoughts and feelings about how you deal with this. I didn't want it dwelled on. Just dealt with as a fact of my child's life.

Ask to see where her snacks will be stored, if that is OK. If your finances allow ask if you can supply safe snack storage plastic bin or small dorm room type refridgerater/ small freezer section. If they can keep a frozen "birthday" cupcake in.

Just some ideas.

happygirl Collaborator

Some of the links in this thread may help: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...mp;#entry556587

and: Open Original Shared Link (section: Gluten free children)

Open Original Shared Link

kbdy Apprentice

I just found this while looking for info for my dd for kindergarten

Open Original Shared Link

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Jessiehags91
    Newest Member
    Jessiehags91
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      We offer a ton of recipes here: https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/gluten-free-recipes/ and have done some articles on fast food places, but keep in mind that eating out is a common source of gluten contamination: https://www.celiac.com/search/?q=fast food&quick=1&type=cms_records2 Many colleges now offer allergen-friendly, and sometimes gluten-free options in their student cafeterias: https://www.celiac.com/search/?&q=colleges&type=cms_records2&quick=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy PS - Look into GliadinX, which is a sponsor here, but many studies have been done on it which show that it may break down small amounts of gluten in the stomach, before it reaches the intestines.
    • JustGemi
      Thank you! What do you recommend in the next 7 weeks until I see my Doctor?  Just start my Gluten free diet?
    • Scott Adams
      Many people with celiac disease, especially those who are in the 0-2 year range of their recovery, have additional food intolerance issues which could be temporary. To figure this out you may need to keep a food diary and do an elimination diet over a few months. Some common food intolerance issues are dairy/casein, eggs, corn, oats, and soy. The good news is that after your gut heals (for most people who are 100% gluten-free this will take several months to two years) you may be able to slowly add some these items back into your diet after the damaged villi heal. This article may be helpful:    
    • Scott Adams
      Here is more info about how to do a gluten challenge for a celiac disease blood panel, or for an endoscopy: and this recent study recommends 4-6 slices of wheat bread per day:    
    • Scott Adams
      So if the normal range for your tests is below 15.0 U/mL, and your results are 120.9 U/mL HIGH, it definitely looks like you could have celiac disease. Your doctor may want to schedule an endoscopy to confirm this, but with such high results it is also possible that the diagnosis might be made on your blood test results alone (more info on that is below). This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease.  In the Europe the new protocol for making a celiac disease diagnosis in children is if their tTg-IgA (tissue transglutaminase IgA) levels are 10 times or above the positive level for celiac disease. According to the latest research, if the blood test results are at certain high levels that range between 5-10 times the reference range for a positive celiac disease diagnosis, it may not be necessary to confirm the results using an endoscopy/biopsy: Blood Test Alone Can Diagnose Celiac Disease in Most Children and Adults TGA-IgA at or Above Five Times Normal Limit in Kids Indicates Celiac Disease in Nearly All Cases No More Biopsies to Diagnose Celiac Disease in Children! There are other things that may cause elevated tTg-IgA levels, but in general a reaction to gluten is the culprit: