This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Dream Milk

txplowgirl

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi everyone.

In reading I have come across several postings about rice dream milk having gluten in it. Really?

I have not had any bad experiences SO FAR. But keep reading that it has barley in it. I've checked the ingredients but so far haven't seen anything related to barley. It does say has natural flavors. Just curious. Have a good night.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

runningcrazy Contributor

Our rice dream says gluten free right on the package.

Ive been using it for like 3 weeks(thats only as long as ive been gluten-free/cf, so what do i know?) and i havent had any problems.

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hi.

It's processed with a barley enzyme. Rice Dream claims that their end product tests gluten-free, but personally, my daughter and I got extremely sick from it. I had unknowningly made french toast with it. We are sensitive folks though, so it may not affect everyone. Personally, I will never use their products again.

Jillian

YoloGx Rookie

Generally speaking its best to avoid "natural flavors" since they are often made with the traditional alcohol extraction method for flavorings--and thus they often have gluten since most alcohol has gluten in it... Ironically for us its often better if they are artificial flavorings...unless its specifically gluten free like gluten free vanilla. But generally vanillin is safer than (alcohol extracted) vanilla...

FMcGee Explorer
Generally speaking its best to avoid "natural flavors" since they are often made with the traditional alcohol extraction method for flavorings--and thus they often have gluten since most alcohol has gluten in it... Ironically for us its often better if they are artificial flavorings...unless its specifically gluten free like gluten free vanilla. But generally vanillin is safer than (alcohol extracted) vanilla...

Actually, most alcohol does NOT have gluten in it: https://www.celiac.com/articles/21886/1/Dis...Free/Page1.html

You do still have to double-check natural flavors, though, because they certainly can contain gluten.

AMQmom Explorer

My daughter is sensitive and she gets very sick after having any Rice Dream product. She is 8 and will not go near that brand - even ice cream. That tells me a lot! I figure why risk it with my younger child. Obviously if it is making my one child ill, it is doing something to the other even if she doesn't feel it immediately.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Actually, most alcohol does NOT have gluten in it: https://www.celiac.com/articles/21886/1/Dis...Free/Page1.html

You do still have to double-check natural flavors, though, because they certainly can contain gluten.

Although for most of us distilled gluten grains are safe there is a small portion of us that will react. If someone wants to figure it out for their own body the best way I have found is to puposely consume a distilled gluten grain for a week while consuming nothing else that has a risk and watch for a reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer
Although for most of us distilled gluten grains are safe there is a small portion of us that will react. If someone wants to figure it out for their own body the best way I have found is to puposely consume a distilled gluten grain for a week while consuming nothing else that has a risk and watch for a reaction.

Yeah, we all have weird reactions to various things, it seems. I actually can't drink any alcohol at all, never could. One shot and I'm sick for days. I feel somehow that my college experience wasn't quite what I saw in the movies. ;) I can't digest red meat, and high fructose corn syrup and high sodium foods will really freak my system out. I think partly, celiacs/the gluten intolerant are so much more conscientious about what we eat that we notice when something in particular gets to us, which is a good thing!

jerseyangel Proficient

Getting back to Rice Dream, the product is still processed with barley. Many here have reported problems with it, including me. You have to use your own judgment as to whether or not to use it.

Pacific Foods makes a nice gluten-free rice milk.

FMcGee Explorer

If you can have almonds, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla is my favorite liquid product on the market today. It's excellent in cereal.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Ok, so far rice dream milk hasn't bothered me, soy milk is out of the question, and I can not find almond milk anywhere at all. My main problem is that i'm a truck driver and I am only home for a few days every 6 to 8 weeks.

There are several super walmarts that allow truck parking some don't. Some walmarts carry rice milk some don't.

I guess i'm going to have to figure something else out for breakfast instead of my gluten free rice chex and milk, because I just know one morning i'm gonna get up and BAM, it's gonna hit me out of the blue. :( Thanks everone for the responses.

GFinDC Veteran

I make corn torillas rollups for breakfast sometimes. Pretty easy if you have some way to heat them for a few minutes so they are nice and soft and don't crack when rolled up.

Rice Dream doesn't go well with me either. Or grain alcohols. Still got an almost full bottle of Viginia Gentelman whiskey sitting around here. Ouch.

I think there was a breakfast thread around. And maybe a school lunch thread too. Those might give you some other ideas.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Rice Dream, as mentioned above, is processed with barley enzymes. Their own tests do not say that the levels are too low to be tested, but that the levels are under 20 ppm, which LEGALLY lets them call it "gluten-free," as the current labeling laws follow the 2006 Codex standard.

Many, many celiacs report reacting to those 20 ppm levels. Wheat starch technically falls within the 200 ppm standard as well, but most of us know to avoid that, as wheat starch must be clearly labeled. Barley, however, is not required to be labeled.

I do wish that Rice Dream would go back to their old box, which clearly stated that it was produced with barley enzymes. The way they have it is not only misleading, but downright dangerous for anyone with severe reactions to gluten.

I don't have severe reactions, but I avoid Rice Dream, as it seems quite likely that we are still damaged by small amounts of gluten, even when we are not aware of any reaction.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Ok, so far rice dream milk hasn't bothered me, soy milk is out of the question, and I can not find almond milk anywhere at all. My main problem is that i'm a truck driver and I am only home for a few days every 6 to 8 weeks.

There are several super walmarts that allow truck parking some don't. Some walmarts carry rice milk some don't.

I guess i'm going to have to figure something else out for breakfast instead of my gluten free rice chex and milk, because I just know one morning i'm gonna get up and BAM, it's gonna hit me out of the blue. :( Thanks everone for the responses.

I am one that doesn't react to rice milk either. I use the hazelnut milk in my coffee every morning. I can't use anything with soy or soy lecithin which is in almond breeze products. I think its a sensitivity issue. The barley malt is removed and there is a miniscule trace that is supposed to be safe for most celiacs but as you can see by the posts that it is enough to bother some. I know it doesn't bother me because I would be in the jon in about 30 minutes if it did :P Just a side note since you are a truck driver. I had a relative truck driver who used to cook his hot dogs on his engine in foil....thought you would think that funny. It always worked!

YoloGx Rookie

I make 24 hour home made yogurt. I then can just use the yogurt if I need something milky and if necessary add a little water or whey with a some stevia if I want it to taste sweeter. Its very healing for the gut and helps with digestion. Sometimes too I will use coconut milk...However overall I seem to be allergic to the nut milks as well as the vitamin A they add to most of them... and am off soy since it has too much estrogen and has been found to be carcinogenic. Now however I am off all grains too with this paleo/scd diet, so the need for "milk" is much less--more likely used say for a bowl of cut fruit.

Bea

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hey ksymonds84, LOL, i've done that with a chicken, a steak, and fish. Mighty tasty. mmmm mmmm. But now I have an inverter so I have my frying pan and a microwave. Only way to go. :P:lol:

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Hey ksymonds84, LOL, i've done that with a chicken, a steak, and fish. Mighty tasty. mmmm mmmm. But now I have an inverter so I have my frying pan and a microwave. Only way to go. :P:lol:

Awesome! This was back in the 70's early 80's, he would have loved the modern inverters ect!

AMQmom Explorer

I mentioned earlier that my daughter reacted to Rice Dream. She has no reaction to Good Karma brand Rice Beverages. They are sold in Kroger and Whole Food stores. Not sure if this helps you....

brigala Explorer
I can not find almond milk anywhere at all.

Try ordering it by the case online. Pacific Foods and Almond Breeze should both be available online. Since it doesn't need to be refrigerated until after it's opened, it should be pretty easy to take in your truck.

I buy the Pacific Foods Chocolate Almond Milk in single-serving "juice box" style boxes for when I'm on the run. It's especially helpful because I avoid dairy when I'm away from home due to the risk of gluten contamination causing dairy intolerance.

The Pacific Foods hazelnut milk is good, too. I do the chocolate for that. I use their plain or vanilla rice milk for on cereal, but I've used chocolate on non-sweet cereals like rice or corn chex and it's yummy, too. Added to Envirokidz or something, it makes it too sweet. I haven't tried the Almond Breeze brand because I have access to Pacific coupons which makes it more economical for me.

-Elizabeth

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm checking them all out.

Archived