This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pepsi

Ally2005

Ally2005 Apprentice

Hey everybody, I have been craving something from the pre-celiac days, (diagnosed two months ago) so I decided it wouldn't hurt to have a few glasses of Pepsi this week. I know it doesn't contain gluten but boy does it ever bother my stomoch. i don't remember it being bothersome before going gluten-free. Any ideas...I thought the gut would become less sensive after being gluten-free for a while.

Ally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ajlauer

If you haven't been drinking cola for awhile, It will upset your stomach. I think that is true with anybody. I hear it that cola can be used to remove paint... so you can only imagine what it's doing to your stomach.

If I don't drink it for awhile, and then have some..... I'm sick for a few days.

Guest nini

carbonated beverages really bother my stomach too. I don't know if it's all the sugars, or what... but I wasn't able to even tolerate soda's for the first year being gluten-free I think.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Coca-Cola will e-mail you their gluten-free list, which does include regular Coca-Cola, diet, diet and caffeine-free coke, caffeine-free coke, sprite, etc. EVERYTHING SOFTDRINK MADE BY PEPSI CO. IS gluten-free. It could be a problem with the carbonation

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep Pepsi is gluten free but as was previosly said...the carbonation may have cause a problem.

rmmadden Contributor

I used to be a Pepsi drinker but got off the cola's because basically they are empty calories. If I have one now I feel the caffeine rush and the carbonation effects the gastritis in my stomach.

Could you possibly have slight gastritis too?

Cleveland Bob :)

sdore Enthusiast

I only drink diet. Now since I am gluten-free I also get sick when I drink pop, so I just don't drink it.

I usually only experience problems with dark pop. I have has sprite and orange and I haven't had problems. Maybe try a light pop.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hey Sidore:

I thought I had read somewhere that the coloring in orange soda was not ok? Let me know if that's not right.

sdore Enthusiast

I have no idea. I will have to check into that one. Does anyone else know?

skbird Contributor

Ha - your topic subject made me think of a song - "all I wanted was a Pepsi!"

Anyway, colas have a lot of acid in them (as mentioned before) and carbonation which upsets my stomach, too, now that I haven't been drinking diet Cokes for the past 3 years. I did have my first cola in years last week - Blue Sky Organic Cola - and thought it was great. Doesn't have the added acid, caffeine, high fructose corn syrup. Of course they were expensive and you won't find them if you're at a party or whatever, but if you really want a good cola taste, this has it.

I did have a minor upset stomach after the first one I had (on an empty stomach) but I've had two others with meals and was fine. I think it was the carbonation on an empty stomach.

Stephanie

Ally2005 Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your replies. I never thought of the carbonation being the culprit! I guess I'll only have a glass of Pepsi when I really, really, want it!

Guest nini
Ha - your topic subject made me think of a song - "all I wanted was a Pepsi!"

JUST ONE PEPSI, AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!!!!!

INSTITUTIONALIZED!!!!! I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!

sorry... I was reliving my youth there for a minute!

Rikki Tikki Explorer

That made me laugh nini!

skbird Contributor

Ha-ha Nini! I always laugh when I see your avitar - my best friend has total Cornholio fits from time to time and is the funniest thing to see ever.

I knew *someone* would know that reference... :)

Stephanie

Guest nini

I'm so glad I could make y'all laugh!!!!

I'm just one of those kids that was a misfit punk and now I'm a gr'up (grownup) with a husband and a kid... I try to maintain my "attitude" though, it keeps me young! (considering that I'll be 36 in a few weeks ;)

Guest nini

oh and I couldn't think of anything more fitting for my avitar on a celiac site than poor Cornholio!!!!! I used to fall down laughing everytime I would see that on Beavis and Butthead! "Are you threatening me?????????"

skbird Contributor

Yeah, it's *PERFECT* for a Celiac site! :)

Still cracks me up. I was at a party last summer and these two guys, one is 60 and the other is 65, were both acting out parts from the film which they'd recently just re-watched. Nothing more precious than a 60 year old saying "Are you threatening me???" and a 65 year old saying "settle down, Beavis!"

Stephanie

PS I'm still a misfit punk of sorts at almost 34... since I don't have kids, it keeps me young, too!

skbird Contributor

Woo-hoo! that last post was my 100th post... :)

Stephanie

ianm Apprentice

After being low carb and gluten free I just can't stand to eat or drink anything that sweet anymore. Besides too much sugar will turn you into Cornholio so it is best to avoid it.

Guest nini

OMG, I just had to Laugh out loud at that last one, and then I had to explain it to my 5 year old, cos, as she says, I can tell her anything!!! She's laughing now too!

Guest gliX

You all have good senses of humor. :rolleyes:

soda has never upset my stomach, and diet coke has 0 calories and 0 sugars.

Guest nini

Stephanie, that had to be funny with the guys in their 60's acting out Beavis and Butthead!!!

hey, a sense of humor is way important, especially when dealing with Celiac...

skbird Contributor

Seeing a couple of 60 year olds doing Beavis and Butthead - yeah, Just means you never have to get old...

Ianm - wish I could say the low carb way of life killed the sweet tooth in me. Actually, since going gluten free I have been able to eat more carbs and have rebuilt my love of certain sweets. And tolerance, too, as for a while there I couldn't stand any amount of sweetness (except stevia). Somehow I avoid turning into Cornholio, though, maybe because I don't eat any processed sugars, just natural ones like in fruit, fruit juice, and occasional molassas and maple syrup (OK, those last two are processed to some degree but aren't the white granulated death powder...)

Oh, and to bring up something totally irrelevant, I used to be a big Marillion fan, too. Saw that in your "getting to know you" post...

Stephanie

ianm Apprentice

Uh-huh-huh-huh. Gluten Sucks! Uh-huh-huh.

Yeah! Heh-Heh-Heh. And Marillion Rules! Heh-Heh-Heh.

Actually Marillion is still around. They released a celiac disease last year that is probably one of their best ones :) .

skbird Contributor

Really? I'll have to check it out. I listened to "Misplaced Childhood" a zillion times. And "The Thieving Magpie"...

Worst story - once I was driving someone around in my car (1992?) and listening to Marillion and this guy said (he was a musician) "Man, these guys would be good if they weren't so overproduced!" Grrrrrrrr!

Stephanie

Archived