18 replies to this topic

#1 Celiacnewbie

Celiacnewbie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

Please forgive me if I am the only one ignorant here. I know the "G" is for "Glutamate" and I think that MSG is a spice or a sugar of some kind. I just want to be sure that MSG is gluten-free. Does anyone out there know?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

Please forgive me if I am the only one ignorant here. I know the "G" is for "Glutamate" and I think that MSG is a spice or a sugar of some kind. I just want to be sure that MSG is gluten-free. Does anyone out there know?

No gluten in MSG. Not real good for you, but no gluten. AND, no ignorant questions here. Any question is a good one, because 100 other people thought about asking the same question.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 imissgoodbeer:(

imissgoodbeer:(

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

No gluten in MSG. Not real good for you, but no gluten. AND, no ignorant questions here. Any question is a good one, because 100 other people thought about asking the same question.

OK, I was under the assumption that if it was made in the US that MSG is gluten free, but MSG of non-US origin could have gluten in it (e.g. that tasty sauce from thailand that you used to love). Kind of the same deal with vinegars. Is this wrong mama goose?

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

http://www.glutenfre.../ingredient.php

MSG
Monosodium glutamate is a flavoring made through the fermentation of corn, sugar beets, or sugar cane. It is gluten-free

If a product with MSG is of a foreign source, it would have to comply with FDA Regulations, disclosing "wheat". If Chinese, (if I'm not mistaken) it may be derived from seaweed, and not one of the eight allergens.
Lisa

#5 imissgoodbeer:(

imissgoodbeer:(

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hi Again,

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, an amino acid found in many foods. It has been produced from both wheat gluten and sugar beet molasses but is now produced almost entirely from the latter in a highly purified form. Most authorities agree that it is harmless. There should be no concern among Celiacs about the use of foods containing MSG.

Note: As of 2009, wheat-derived MSG has been found in products imported from Asia. R5 ELISA testing is needed to confirm its suitability in the gluten-free diet.

(http://www.celiac.ca...ability.php#msg )

I know this is from the canadians, but I have seen similar warnings elsewhere.
I believe I get glutened, not an allergic reaction to msg, to otherwise gluten free foods from the asian markets that contain msg.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

MSG is on the Safe List for Celiacs.
Lisa

#7 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

I react to MSG every time i have ever eaten anything with it listed on the ingredients. it isnt quite the same as a gluten reaction which is why im not worried that i made with gluten. i think i just cant tolerate it for some other reason... maybe you cant either? if you have reacted to it that is. it IS possible

#8 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

I may be way off base here but I thought MSG was a contributing factor in gut permeability so it would be bad if dealing with leaky gut syndrome. I am willing to be entirely wrong on this if someone with more knowledge steps forward. I am wracking my brain to come up with the source...
CS

#9 Celiacnewbie

Celiacnewbie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

Thanks very much. I read all the posts so far and I will be on the look out for products containing MSG and imported from Asia.

#10 Becky C

Becky C

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

I'm too new to the gluten-free diet to know if MSG contains gluten, but it sounds like the other people who posted are pretty knowledgeable. I just wanted to add that I know someone who is severely allergic to MSG, so it could just be that you're allergic or intolerant to MSG as well as gluten.
Had severe health problems for 5 years; previous diagnoses are asthma, mitral valve prolapse, migraines, lactose intolerance, foot drop, fibro, chronic fatigue, suspected neurocardiogenic syncope and ehlers danlos syndrome, and now suspected celiac.

Been gluten free for 3 weeks now, and feeling much better. Able to exercise for the first time in 2 years, much more energy, and much less pain...starting to feel 40 instead of 80 (I'm 23). I'm excited for what the future will bring.

"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."--John 16:33

#11 Estahrita

Estahrita

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm new to all of this and could be wrong, but I seem to get a reaction to both gluten and MSG! I've gotten hives and digestive issues from both. It's depressing because a lot of foods have either one or the other.

I've also read conflicting info about MSG- some say it's safe, some say it's not. It sounds like some people who are intolerant to gluten are also intolerant to MSG, while some people do not react to the MSG. Either way, it is not the best thing for you, and I wish it wasn't in anything!

Hope that helps somebody!

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Some people, including some celiacs, have an adverse reaction to MSG, but there is no gluten to be found in MSG.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:25 AM

I also react to MSG, so I look for 'gluten-free' and 'no MSG'.

#14 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

I'm new to all of this and could be wrong, but I seem to get a reaction to both gluten and MSG! I've gotten hives and digestive issues from both. It's depressing because a lot of foods have either one or the other.

I've also read conflicting info about MSG- some say it's safe, some say it's not. It sounds like some people who are intolerant to gluten are also intolerant to MSG, while some people do not react to the MSG. Either way, it is not the best thing for you, and I wish it wasn't in anything!

Hope that helps somebody!

The ones who say MSG has gluten or can have gluten are wrong. It is gluten-free.

richard

#15 New_To_This

New_To_This

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have read several books on this subject trying to get an understanding of this disease as my husband and I are new to this. The only book I have found that touches on this subject so far has been "The Gluten-free Bible 2005 edition by Jax Peters Lowell
I has quote what I found on page 18 and 19 below......
"MSG or Monosoduim Glutamate. Unless you are allergic to MSG (chinese Restaurant Syndrome), you need not worry about this additive made from beet sugar or mollassses."

However I have found several web sites that state to use extreme caution or avoid at ALL costs. So the decision is up to you, weither you risk using it or not.

Below are a few of the web sites that caution against its use, and for good reason, as well as tell you what it can be made of and reactions you might encounter if you use it.
http://nikas-culinar...nd-your-health/
http://www.truthinla...nufactured.html
http://www.msgtruth.org/msgand2.htm
http://www.celiac.co....php/t6100.html
After reading these articles I am thinking twice about MSG especially fo rmy husband. I get headaches already so whjy eat something that can triger them??
I hope this helps you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: