18 replies to this topic

#1 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

It's been a bad week, I keep glutening myself and i'm about to have a crying spell. I have felt awful this week and it seems to keep getting worse.
Ok, i bought this hormel natural deli meats, turkey specifically. It states nitrate free, gluten free, no msg added, no artificial ingredients, now in the ingredients list it says water, salt, natural flavor, lactid acid, starter culture (not from milk) and something called turbinado sugar.
I have noticed after eating this I get a major migraine and I feel icky. No stomach problems or pain just an overwhelming feeling of the blahs.
I have a sugar sensitivity so I'm wondering about the turbinado sugar. Never have heard about that one. I went to their website but I haven't found what the natural flavor is.
I am definetly not eating this again. But I was just wondering if anyone might have a clue?

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

I have noticed that the smoked ham doesn't sit well in my stomach. The "cooked" one is much better. I don't believe it's a gluten issue, my symptoms are different, I suspect one of the other ingredients but haven't taken the time to research it. I feel better when I eat an even more natural turkey too. Generally I feel better when everything is more natural. Our sensitive systems!
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

My daughter eats the turkey, chicken and ham with no problems. But if you have a sugar issue, that could be it.

#4 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

My daughter eats the turkey, chicken and ham with no problems. But if you have a sugar issue, that could be it.

Us too and my dd is super sensitive.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Seems to be gluten-free.

richard

#6 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Just an update, really strange. I don't think I was glutened unless that natural ingredient has something in it I can't find out about.
I get the feeling this might have been a "left over" symptom that hit from yesterday's gluten episode. Ughhh. or another 1 of my sensitivities from the sugar. That was the smoked turkey I had, this evening I got the nerve up to try the ham and so far ok.
So, i'm thinking delayed reaction from yesterday. Maybe, possibly?

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#7 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Just an update, really strange. I don't think I was glutened unless that natural ingredient has something in it I can't find out about.
I get the feeling this might have been a "left over" symptom that hit from yesterday's gluten episode. Ughhh. or another 1 of my sensitivities from the sugar. That was the smoked turkey I had, this evening I got the nerve up to try the ham and so far ok.
So, i'm thinking delayed reaction from yesterday. Maybe, possibly?

A delayed reaction to a food intolerance can take up to 72 hours to show up so I think you are correct that it could be something you ate from the day before. Delayed reactions can drive ya crazy when your trying to figure them out!
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#8 jlr

jlr

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

I have eaten all of the Hormel Naturals and have never had a problem - I think you might be on to something with the delayed reaction.

I know I find that having to figure out what bothered me each time I feel "glutened" can be very frustrating and often makes me go back and investigate what I had the day before.

Good Luck and feel better!
Janet

#9 sylviaann

sylviaann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

It's been a bad week, I keep glutening myself and i'm about to have a crying spell. I have felt awful this week and it seems to keep getting worse.
Ok, i bought this hormel natural deli meats, turkey specifically. It states nitrate free, gluten free, no msg added, no artificial ingredients, now in the ingredients list it says water, salt, natural flavor, lactid acid, starter culture (not from milk) and something called turbinado sugar.
I have noticed after eating this I get a major migraine and I feel icky. No stomach problems or pain just an overwhelming feeling of the blahs.
I have a sugar sensitivity so I'm wondering about the turbinado sugar. Never have heard about that one. I went to their website but I haven't found what the natural flavor is.
I am definetly not eating this again. But I was just wondering if anyone might have a clue?

I was glutened from eating their "All Natural chicken product" a month ago. I think is has "hidden MSG" because it tastes too processed. The sugar could have also caused it.
Sylvia Ann

#10 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Another update. I have to say the smoked turkey is what did it. I have been ok for the last few days and I decided to try the smoked turkey again so I would know for sure. I got the migraine within 2 hours. Got the blahs again. Nothing major just feeling kinda tired and lethargic. Very strange because the ham dosen't bother me. So, no more smoked turkey.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:57 AM

I had what I believe to be a gluten reaction after eating two pieces of the honey ham. I believe that it can be very slightly cross contaminated. I believe that I am sensitive to very small amounts of gluten.

#12 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:44 AM

I eat the ham every day and tolerate it fine. I've had the other flavors with no problem, just like the ham best.

#13 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

Another update. I have to say the smoked turkey is what did it. I have been ok for the last few days and I decided to try the smoked turkey again so I would know for sure. I got the migraine within 2 hours. Got the blahs again. Nothing major just feeling kinda tired and lethargic. Very strange because the ham dosen't bother me. So, no more smoked turkey.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

It's interesting that we both had problems with the smoked products.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#14 daphniela

daphniela

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

Turbinado sugar is sugar in it's natural form before it is processed to granulated sugar. I prefer it to granulated sugar.

#15 sylviaann

sylviaann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi there!

I hope you are feeling better. I checked the Hormel website and one of the ingredients listed on the Oven Roasted turkey deli product is Carrageenan (from seaweed). Carrageenan is a NATURALLY occuring MSG product and many people (especially gluten sensitive and celiacs) can be sensitive to it (including me). Maybe you should try to steer clear of all MSG derivatives (and many are hidden in disguise on product labels) and see if you feel better. The words "Natural Flavoring is also a "red flag" I would ask a knowledgable supervisor at Hormel what the natural flavoring consists of? I hope this helps you!
Sylvia Ann :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: