29 replies to this topic

#1 GFCahleen

GFCahleen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

I've only known that I have celiac disease for one month, so eating gluten-free is still pretty new to me. I was looking at McDonalds and Wendys websites to see which menu items are gluten free. Both websites had detailed ingredient lists stating which menu items are gluten-free. Here are the website links.

McDonald's gluten-free menu options:
http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf

Wendy's gluten-free menu options:
http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf
http://www.wendys.co...s/nutrition.pdf

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Silly Yak Pete

Silly Yak Pete

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Coming from a Big MCDs fan prior to Diagnosis I say McDonalds sucks for not proving any real options for Celiac Sufferers. But I do love Wendys and get them at least once a week.

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

IMO, the only safe thing at McDonalds is the packaged apples.

#4 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

I couldn't trust McDonalds before I got diagnosed with celiac disease.. How can I trust them now?...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#5 Kimmy913

Kimmy913

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hello,
I am newly diagnosed with Celiac. I was diagnosed in the beginning of the summer and I was craving the big mac (probably because I couldn't have it), well anyway I ordered it with out the bun in several different places and it was really good. Alot of the Mcdonalds employees don't understand the no bun thing and it can get frustrating but they do try to accommodate me. Well I had gone to the McDonalds in Cinnaminson NJ and ordered the big mac with no bun and they had never done it before either. Well they asked and questioned a little bit but did not give me a problem and they made it in a saled bowl. It was really good!! What they did was alot of lettuce,lots of pickles, the cheese, special sauce onions and the patties. They did an amazing job and they did not give me an attitude! My mom was with me and she is writing Mcdonalds suggesting that they should make a big mac salad for Celiacs.
So if you ever feel like a big mac it's really good, and you can suggest them to ask for it like a salad and hopefully soon it will be a salad!!

#6 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I don't trust McDonald's to make a bunless burger unless I was standing right there and was watching them. They have messed up too many times or else they look at me like I have two heads. We eat their fries on a regular basis and have no problems. We also have shakes.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#7 Shess0816

Shess0816

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

I don't trust McDonald's to make a bunless burger unless I was standing right there and was watching them. They have messed up too many times or else they look at me like I have two heads. We eat their fries on a regular basis and have no problems. We also have shakes.

Just as a precaution for you, I was looking on the list of ingredients provided for McDonalds and their fries are NOT gluten free. They use a natural beef flavoring on their fries and that flavoring contains hydrolyzed wheat as a starting ingredient. Burger King's fries, on the other hand, do not have that flavoring on them and are gluten free (as long as you make sure they have a dedicated french fry frier and scooper and that no onion rings sneak their way into the fries!). I personally don't chance fast food fries, but I know people who eat the BK ones all the time and do not get sick!

#8 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

I would NEVER trust McD's... maybe Wendy's if it wasn't busy and I could watch everything being done. Here's the gluten-free list for Canada :) http://www.wendys.ca...n_free_list.pdf

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:41 AM

Just as a precaution for you, I was looking on the list of ingredients provided for McDonalds and their fries are NOT gluten free. They use a natural beef flavoring on their fries and that flavoring contains hydrolyzed wheat as a starting ingredient. Burger King's fries, on the other hand, do not have that flavoring on them and are gluten free (as long as you make sure they have a dedicated french fry frier and scooper and that no onion rings sneak their way into the fries!). I personally don't chance fast food fries, but I know people who eat the BK ones all the time and do not get sick!

While McD does list wheat in their fries, the fries have been independently tested and have shown NO measurable level of gluten. Even CSA, which is extremely cautious and even alarmist sometimes, agrees there is no measurable gluten in the fries.

richard

#10 celiacprincess17

celiacprincess17

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

I know this is really late, but Chick-fil-A fries are really good, and safe.
Diagnosed for 12 years and running. What was that, 1997? Yes, yes it was. Wow.

#11 Suzy1999

Suzy1999

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

I know this is really late, but Chick-fil-A fries are really good, and safe.

My daughter often has the chili cheese fries from Carls Jr also very good.

#12 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Do they use dedicated fryers? We don't have them here but I remember going to one in CA. I used to get my daughter the chicken stars. That was before we knew of her allergies. Pretty sure they have wheat in them.

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Are you sure the fryers are dedicated? They aren't at Hardee's, which is essentially the same place.

richard

#14 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hello,
I am newly diagnosed with Celiac. I was diagnosed in the beginning of the summer and I was craving the big mac (probably because I couldn't have it), well anyway I ordered it with out the bun in several different places and it was really good. Alot of the Mcdonalds employees don't understand the no bun thing and it can get frustrating but they do try to accommodate me. Well I had gone to the McDonalds in Cinnaminson NJ and ordered the big mac with no bun and they had never done it before either. Well they asked and questioned a little bit but did not give me a problem and they made it in a saled bowl. It was really good!! What they did was alot of lettuce,lots of pickles, the cheese, special sauce onions and the patties. They did an amazing job and they did not give me an attitude! My mom was with me and she is writing Mcdonalds suggesting that they should make a big mac salad for Celiacs.
So if you ever feel like a big mac it's really good, and you can suggest them to ask for it like a salad and hopefully soon it will be a salad!!

So the special sauce is gluten free? I stopped at Mac's with a friend for coffee and saw a sign showing a Big Mac. Oh how I miss that special sauce. I just may try one without the bun myself.

My DIL always orders burgers without buns because she tries to stick to the Atkins diet. I really feel she is gluten intolerant (has psoriasis) but I'm not preaching my diet to anyone. If she asks me about it, I will give it a plug. She always says she feels better when she doesn't eat carbs of any kind. I wonder if it is really only the gluten ones that bother her.

My DD says she limits dairy and wheat. I also think she can give up both but she has to come to that decision herself.

#15 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

Our Hardee's has dedicated fryers, and the fries are gluten free. They also offer a bunless burger which is gluten free, but you do need to watch and make sure they wipe down the prep counter first and change gloves and stuff. But they have been willing to do it for me several times, and it's a good big burger, all wrapped in lettuce leaves. They have a lot of info on their website too.
http://www.hardees.c...ergen_Guide.pdf
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: