29 replies to this topic

#16 Frances03

Frances03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Also, big mac sauce does contain wheat and is NOT gluten free. There really isn't anything safe at McDonalds IMO.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

So the special sauce is gluten free? I stopped at Mac's with a friend for coffee and saw a sign showing a Big Mac. Oh how I miss that special sauce. I just may try one without the bun myself.

My DIL always orders burgers without buns because she tries to stick to the Atkins diet. I really feel she is gluten intolerant (has psoriasis) but I'm not preaching my diet to anyone. If she asks me about it, I will give it a plug. She always says she feels better when she doesn't eat carbs of any kind. I wonder if it is really only the gluten ones that bother her.

My DD says she limits dairy and wheat. I also think she can give up both but she has to come to that decision herself.

I ordered burgers without the bun lots on ski trips for lunch. I used to feel weird doing it years ago and then came the Atkins diet and then the South Beach diet craze and everon was ordering bunless burgers with a side salad instead of fries because of the carbs. Voila! not weird anymore.
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#18 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

My dad told me today that Wendys is changing its menu and the salads will no longer be the same. Sounds like they are doing salads more like Arbys. They are now owned by the same company. I used to trust Wendys. Do not trust Arbys.

#19 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

Also, big mac sauce does contain wheat and is NOT gluten free. There really isn't anything safe at McDonalds IMO.

Check ingredients in the country where you live, as they vary from country to country. The Big Mac sauce contains hydrolyzed wheat protein in Canada and the US, but is gluten-free in the UK.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

So the special sauce is gluten free? I stopped at Mac's with a friend for coffee and saw a sign showing a Big Mac. Oh how I miss that special sauce. I just may try one without the bun myself.

My DIL always orders burgers without buns because she tries to stick to the Atkins diet. I really feel she is gluten intolerant (has psoriasis) but I'm not preaching my diet to anyone. If she asks me about it, I will give it a plug. She always says she feels better when she doesn't eat carbs of any kind. I wonder if it is really only the gluten ones that bother her.

My DD says she limits dairy and wheat. I also think she can give up both but she has to come to that decision herself.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, bur McD's ingredients list states wheat is in the special sauce.
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#21 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Chick-Fil-A fries are the BEST

I was iffy about BK fries since I'd never been to a BK and didn't get at least ONE onion ring in my fries (Before diagnoses) but I went to one and asked about a dedicated Fryer and it was awesome!! :) I missed those fries so much...

McD's fries tend to make me sick if I eat them more than once or twice in a week (found this out the hard way while traveling)

I was going to eat at a Wendy's once but the manager tried to convince my Dad that their whole menu was gluten-free so we decided not to even stop there again....

LOVE Applebee's Steaks and Baked Potatoes :)
OH!
And Chipotle http://www.chipotle....nformation.aspx

They are amazing! AND most are willing to open fresh cheese and meat for you just to be safe against CC and you can watch them make your food :D :D :D

Edited by polarbearscooby, 17 July 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#22 MonKol

MonKol

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Never tried Macdonalds... the idea grosses me out after a year and half eating gluten free and being healthy but in a pinch i did eat a wendy's baked potato and seriously paid for it. I don't know how or why but i was ill for a week afterwards. never again.

#23 Toni25

Toni25

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I got "glutened" at Wendys...
I looked up what items at Wendys were gluten free, and decided on the Chocolate Frosty Shake.
Apparently I should have stuck with a plain Chocolate frosty, because the shakes are made with the same shake machine as non-gluten free shakes.

Got really sick. From now on I will get a plain Chocolate Frosty, maybe ask for whip cream/ chocolate sauce on top if I want something a little more like the shake.

#24 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

I got "glutened" at Wendys...
I looked up what items at Wendys were gluten free, and decided on the Chocolate Frosty Shake.
Apparently I should have stuck with a plain Chocolate frosty, because the shakes are made with the same shake machine as non-gluten free shakes.

Got really sick. From now on I will get a plain Chocolate Frosty, maybe ask for whip cream/ chocolate sauce on top if I want something a little more like the shake.

Which shakes contain gluten? I don't see any here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#25 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

It probably differs from one place to another, but our Maccas has a dedicated fryer for the fries, they are guaranteed gluten free and vegan, same with the hash browns. The oil is a vegan oil too.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#26 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Note that most of the info on this thread is two years old. Maybe a mod could start a new thread?

richard

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

It probably differs from one place to another, but our Maccas has a dedicated fryer for the fries, they are guaranteed gluten free and vegan, same with the hash browns. The oil is a vegan oil too.

You are in Australia, I believe. In Canada and the US, the oil for the first (partial) fry at the factory contains a flavor that has a milk derivative.
Peter

#28 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

You are in Australia, I believe. In Canada and the US, the oil for the first (partial) fry at the factory contains a flavor that has a milk derivative.

Yes, that's why I said it probably differs from one place to the next. I realise there are not many Aussies on here, but I'm not familiar with how it works in other countries. They are guaranteed gluten free and vegan, they have a reference book that tells them so we're not just relying on the word of a 15 year old. It says what's what in all their food. I don't personally like oily stuff but it's handy to have as an option.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#29 kbug

kbug

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Today I ordered fries from McDonalds (in Oklahoma), and I know the lady that took my order. Her husband has celiac, and she is used to scoping out labels. She found on the back of the cardboard box the fries are shipped in that there is a wheat derivative in the fries. She even brought a box out so I could see for myself. This makes perfect sense to me, since my stomach always hurt after eating fries there. I'm not sure if a "derivative" is enough to cause a problem, but BEWARE!

#30 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

There is a flavoring in the oil that the fries are partially fried in prior to being frozen for shipping to the restaurant. That artificial beef flavor contains elements derived form both wheat and milk, so that must be declared by US federal law on the package shipped from the factory.

Those derivatives are part of the flavor. The flavoring is a small part of the oil. A small portion of the oil gets absorbed in the initial frying process. At the restaurant, the frying process is completed in 100% vegetable oil in dedicated fryers. The final product has been independently tested and found to contain no detectable gluten using the most sensitive available tests.

Make up your own mind, but for me, cross contamination by crew members is a bigger issue. If you are worried about the derivatives in the fry oil flavor, then you probably should not be at McDonalds in the first place. Just saying. I do eat McDonalds fries from time to time, without problems.
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: