8 replies to this topic

#1 RacerRex9727

RacerRex9727

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

I know Pei Wei has a gluten free menu, but I still get sick from eating there. Is it from cross-contamination? Or is it probably my soy intolerance?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:07 AM

Soy? In a Chinese restaurant? lol. There IS gluten-free soy sauces, but soy sauce is still a huge ingredient in Chinese dishes. Tofu too. So if you are soy-intolerant, then Chinese cuisine is PROBABLY pretty much off limits to you. Unfortunately, those of us that are intolerant of more than just glutens, a gluten-free menu isn't the fix it is for just gluten-intolerants.

#3 QueenOfPain

QueenOfPain

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

I ate at Pei Wei for the first time last weekend and had no problems. (But, I can eat gluten-free soy sauce.) However, I don't think the dish I ate had soy in it, but I'm not sure. I tried the Pei Wei Spicy Chicken and white rice.
2/90 - Symptoms began. Diagnosed IBS.
4/08 - Positive Celiac blood test
5/08 - Negative Biopsies, but was advised to retake blood test in a few months
8/08 - Postive Celiac blood test again. Positive result came from a raised level of Antigliadin IGA antibodies.
9/08 - Decided to try the gluten-free diet. (Headaches and abdominal cramps subsided.)
12/08 - Intestinal issues FINALLY improved. Mouth sores stopped appearing.
1/09 - Negative Celiac blood test after being on a strict gluten-free diet. Self diagnosed Celiac.
The only quirky symptom left is my migratory joint pain. I'm hoping it will go away soon...

#4 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I know Pei Wei has a gluten free menu, but I still get sick from eating there. Is it from cross-contamination? Or is it probably my soy intolerance?

My husband and I have eaten at our local Pei Wei 4 times since going gluten free. Out of the four times, we've been glutened twice by "gluten free" food.

IMHO it's cross contamination. This usually happens when they're busy and the main manager isn't there. We've decided not to risk it anymore.

JoAnn
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#5 RacerRex9727

RacerRex9727

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

My husband and I have eaten at our local Pei Wei 4 times since going gluten free. Out of the four times, we've been glutened twice by "gluten free" food.

IMHO it's cross contamination. This usually happens when they're busy and the main manager isn't there. We've decided not to risk it anymore.

JoAnn

That would definitely make sense because it's not like their hiring people trained in anti-CC procedures. They're people hired off the streets. I couldn't really trust them to be 100% diligent with avoiding cross-contaminatio.

#6 Kschaffer

Kschaffer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

I really enjoy the Pei Wei spicy chicken and/or shrimp. They will even use the gluten free soy sauce and make the fried rice for me. They are familure with me and that helps a lot. I think they start cooking my food as soon as they see me walk in the door. Every once and a while they run out of the gluten free soy sauce but that is because people have discovered it and like it better than the other!!
I did try something the other day that was like a spring roll, I think it was the Asian wrap. It had rice paper on the outside.I thought it would be like an egg roll but the only simularities was the shape. This was a cold dish with a peanut dipping sauce. Did not like it. had too much lemon grass.

#7 ChickensDon'tClap

ChickensDon'tClap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

I got glutened the very first time I ate there. I had the sweet and sour chicken and the spicy chicken that time. Since then, I have only eaten the Vietnamese salad rolls, and I've been fine. I don't know which one of the original menu items it was that got me sick.
Valerie

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

I ate there once--had the sweet and sour chicken. It was good, although a bit too sweet, and I did not get sick.

I much prefer PF Changs. My location is very aware of cross contamination and I've had nothing but good luck there.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

I think i've been glutened once when i was there at the lunch rush. otherwise, no problem. not as good as pf changs, but still all right in a pinch.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: