Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why Doesn't Cow's Milk Contain Gluten If The Cow Eats It?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 kimbersdawnly

kimbersdawnly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Does anyone know if testing or research has been done on this?
I know that if I ingest gluten, then whole peptides pass undisturbed into my breast milk and will make my celiac daughter ill. It's been proven that gluten can pass through breast milk. I know that cattle have a vastly different digestive process than we humans do, which could account for this being a difference, but I cannot find any reference to testing or research to confirm this. We all seem to take it for granted that dairy does not equal gluten, even though cattle are commonly fed on a motley assortment of foods which can contain spent barley from brewing practices and discarded baked goods. This throws up red flags for me.
Does anyone know of actual evidence that dairy cows ingesting gluten is safe???
Thanks!
Dawn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elle's mom

elle's mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

Does anyone know if testing or research has been done on this?
I know that if I ingest gluten, then whole peptides pass undisturbed into my breast milk and will make my celiac daughter ill. It's been proven that gluten can pass through breast milk. I know that cattle have a vastly different digestive process than we humans do, which could account for this being a difference, but I cannot find any reference to testing or research to confirm this. We all seem to take it for granted that dairy does not equal gluten, even though cattle are commonly fed on a motley assortment of foods which can contain spent barley from brewing practices and discarded baked goods. This throws up red flags for me.
Does anyone know of actual evidence that dairy cows ingesting gluten is safe???
Thanks!
Dawn

I also tried to research this awhile back & couldn't find anything then. I was wondering if maybe the gluten is somehow removed during the pasteurization process? My dd has been consuming dairy and her anti-gliadin antibodies are normal, so it cannot contain gluten, I just don't understand how either, unless it's the pasteurization.
~Jackie (Mom of a gluten & dairy-free home)
Myself: Neg blood tests despite myriad of life-long symptoms. Enterolab testing positive for gluten sensitivity: DQ5DQ5. Currently gluten, dairy, grain, & sugar free and on rotation diet.
5yo dd diagnosed celiac by blood test/biopsy Oct/Nov 2007: DQ2DQ5
7yo dd: neg blood tests, DQ5DQ6
3yo ds: neg blood tests, IgA deficient, DQ5DQ6
21mo dd: DQ2DQ5
DH: Neg blood tests, by deductive reasoning: DQ2DQ6.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,067 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

Pasteurization would have no effect on gluten. I can not explain the reason, but the milk comes out of the cow gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

the four stomachs of a cow are *totally* different than our digestive system. just because our very simplistic digestive systems can't break down the peptide doesn't mean that a cow's system, which is much more robust, can't. I also don't know that it's been studied specifically (or at least, published any time recently), but the empiric evidence is strong! :)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 kimbersdawnly

kimbersdawnly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Pasteurization simply heats the milk to destroy anything viral which might have passed into the milk, so psawyer is right that that can't be it. It could have to do with the four chamber stomach I'm thinking, but even then. I realize it may be simply from the hormones or something but if I ingest much non-organic milk I get ill. With Organic though I can guzzle it and it has no effect, so I can't help wondering if maybe one of the differences is the cleaner diet of organic dairy cows. This is complete speculation but it would be nice and I would rest easier if I could simply really CONFIRM that it had ever been tested. You know?

Thanks for the replies guys!!! Anyone else know how we "know" dairy is safe?

#6 FMcGee

FMcGee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

I don't know with 100% certainty what cows in America eat, but generally, aren't they corn-fed? Or grass-fed, if it's fancy expensive ethical milk? I'm sure cows will eat whatever, but your typical dairy cow isn't out there finding stuff to eat, they're being kept in a tiny cage and fed corn, or in a slightly-less-tiny pen and being fed grass. I've seen cow feed before, and there's not generally a lot of complicated stuff in it. It's not like horse feed, that contains lots of different things in one mix. I'm not a dairy farmer though. Anyway, my point is just this: dairy cows might not be eating gluten at all.

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

I know the gluten does not go into the meat, or the milk, although I do not know why.

I do know what is in the feed, and no, cows do not eat corn only. My dad created recipes for aninmal feed, especially cows and horses. Farmers came from miles away to get feed made by him. They can not eat grass alone, not as a rule. Also, when you hear they are free range and eat grass and hay...hay often times is wheat.

http://www.albalagh....alal/0059.shtml

Cattle Feed:

Typically feeds for cattle and sheep are obtained from the following materials:

Alfalfa, ammonium sulfate, barley, been, blood meal, beet, bone meal, brewer grain both wet and dry, brewer yeast dried (byproduct of beer making), broom grass, carrot, cattle manure dried, clover, coffee dried, corn, defluorinated phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, distiller grains, fat from poultry, garbage municipal cooked, grains, grape, hominy feed, hop leaves, hops spent, limestone ground, meat meal, minerals, molasses, oats, peanuts, potato, poultry litter dried, poultry manure dried, rape meal, rye, safflower, sorghum, soybean, sunflower meal, timothy hay, triticale, urea 46%N, different wheat products and different types of hays

http://deliciouslivi...od/beef-labels/

USDA Certified Organic. Beef is raised on grass or grain-based feed that does not contain animal by-products. Animals are never given antibiotics (unless required by a veterinarian, and then the animal loses organic status) or growth hormones. Cattle also must have “conditions which allow for exercise, freedom of movement, and reduction of stress appropriate to the species” and “access to pasture” —vague terms that leave room for a wide range of interpretation by the grower. Still, the standards are the strictest currently available.

Grass Fed or Pasture Finished. These cattle are raised only on grass or hay, no grain. Studies indicate that grass-fed beef contains higher levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids than conventional beef. But the standard has no legal teeth, so it’s up to the interpretation of the rancher. The USDA is proposing a level of 99 percent grass or forage for this label, but it doesn’t mean the cattle get pasture; they can be fed hay in a feedlot. And it doesn’t address the antibiotic or hormone issue, either. Even so, ethical grass-fed beef growers offer a better environmental option than feedlot cattle growers.

Free Range. This USDA term applies only to poultry (and only means they were given “access” to the outdoors). On beef, it’s meaningless.

No Hormones/No Antibiotics. The USDA allows this label for growers who provide documentation, but they don’t check up on the claims. “Hormone free” and “antibiotic free” are not USDA approved designations and so are meaningless.

As you can see...free range doesn't apply to cattle.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: