98 replies to this topic

#1 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

I KNOW I've been glutened by so called gluten-free items. I am a pretty sensitive celiac and a very careful one. When I am at home and get sick I can usually pinpoint exactly what got me, mostly because my diet doesn't vary too much.

Off the top of my head, I know Kettle chips affect me, despite their gluten free label. I've eaten in 4 restaurants with gluten free menus and been glutened twice. 50/50 odds aren't very appealing to me !

So, I was wondering about other people's experiences - have you been glutened by so called gluten-free items ? I came across an article the other day that questioned the quality control of gluten-free items, esp. from big manufacturers, and just how gluten-free they were (I wish I could remember where it was). Rice Chex comes to mind since that seems to have affected some people.

Anyone ???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Utz Chips come to mind--they made me very sick. :angry:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

just the honey nut and chocolate chex, as I recall. but I am *not* an uber sensitive one.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Lay's potato chips and Fritos. Sure, the ingredients are gluten-free, but the cross contamination must be significant.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#5 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

I never can pinpoint it exactly for sure but suspect the following:
Cinnamon Flavored Chex (almost certain) - do fine with the corn and rice and honey nut.
Van's Waffles (almost certain because reaction is consistent every time I eat them)
gluten-free Menu items at Uno's (Cheesburger item - just a cheeseburger w/o bun - suspect cross contamination in kitchen)
Outback Restaurant - unknown which item eaten. But that was once out of about 50 times I've eaten there - They are the SAFEST gluten-free restaurant I've ever been to.

I seem to have better luck with the European brands (Glutano, Scharr, etc) made in Europe and imported. So far also ok with Glutino pretzels.

The more mainstream Celiac becomes, the more companies are jumping on the bandwagon - and rushing to the market with stuff - hence the cross contamination issues and the unintentional hidden ingredients. They get bad info, and 3rd party suppliers don't comply and they don't know it.

It IS a significant problem. Right now I'm suffering from repeated glutenings from having to travel unexpectedly for a funeral and not being able to take food or choose restaurant. Did the best I could, but I'm suffering!

I'm guessing this problem will never go away completely. I'm hoping for the "morning after" pill someday or the "in preparation for" pill someday (they are doing clinical trials on some now)........

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#6 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

I am allergic to MSG along with my gluten intolerance. I was eating cape cods chips for a while because there website declared them to be gluten free. some flavors would give me horrid stomach pains while others were perfectly fine. then i read on this forum that autolyzed yeast was another word for MSG...so now i have another word to look out for during reading labels...
ive also been gotten by Carrabas chicken caesar salad.. off the gluten free nenu...

#7 Emily888

Emily888

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

[quote name='Franceen' date='Sep 6 2009, 10:50 AM' post='560062']
I never can pinpoint it exactly for sure but suspect the following:
Cinnamon Flavored Chex (almost certain) - do fine with the corn and rice and honey nut.

There is soy lecithin in the Cinnamon Flavored chex but not the corn or rice chex. It maybe the soy that is bothering you. I can not have soy, I have a bad reaction from soy in addition to the gluten issue.

#8 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:26 AM

Utz Chips come to mind--they made me very sick

This surprises me Patty, I eat the regular UTZ all the time, and never have a reaction. Did you eat reg or flavored?

I can't eat any "gluten free" labeled foods. The cereals make me ill, as do any of the bars, cookies, crackers, anything with other grains in them. I feel the CC issue is my problem. All the other grains are CC'd by gluten to begin with. Along with the fact that most "gluten free" foods still contain at least 5ppm of gluten and up to 20ppm.

Meds are an issue too. Azo Standard is considered gluten free, yet it glutened me and I was sick for 3 months. Many vitamins are listed as gluten free, yet make so many ill, and many have barley or wheat grasses in them....I just do not believe they are safe.

In my opinion, this isn't good for any of us, even if you do not react to the product.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#9 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:51 AM

We are a sensitive bunch here too. I have had to become super vigilant in the processed foods we decide to eat, b/c my dd has not grown at all in a year. I suspect (no one shoot me down who loves their Chex) it was the small amount of gluten she was getting in Chex and other gluten free products.

All Chex
Van's waffles
Lays
Amy's frozen meals (we both react to these, badly)
Hershey's syrup (it took a few days before a reaction happened)

That's all I can think of, but I know there's more. We really don't do much processed food at all anymore, except for a few Kraft items. I do trust Kraft and the small gluten free companies, but that's about it!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#10 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

Interesting - I can't do Lay's stacks chips even though they should be safe - but then I think I'm developing a more sensitive dairy issue. Tostitos are hit & miss.

It is SO hard to travel. I'm with family right now and we made sushi 2 days ago & I am still recovering. No obvious gluten that I can figure out unless it's in smoked salmon (!)...maybe it's just CC in the knives, etc. Argh !

One just gets to the point where one wants to NOT be sick and eat safely darn it - and not have to only stick with rice & potatoes...

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

This surprises me Patty, I eat the regular UTZ all the time, and never have a reaction. Did you eat reg or flavored?

They were the plain ones--marked gluten-free. Lays always affected me the same way, actually other than Stax plain, I never did find a chip that would work for me.

I see Van's waffles listed by a couple people--I reacted to those early on, too.

I've gotten to the point that I eat almost no processed food at all--but at the same time, I eat very well. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:43 AM

Ancient Harvest quinoa flakes. The company told me if I wanted no chance of CC, stick with the whole grain quinoa which is processed in a different facility.

Trader Joes almond meal/flour. Didn't contact them but when I switched to a different brand that is processed in a gluten-free facility, my symptoms went away and didn't come back.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#13 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

Lays potato chips Classics got me a couple of times. But it was a couple of times out of hundreds of servings. When I have the choice I buy Better Made instead now because they are "Made in Michigan" with Michigan (and several other states) grown potatoes and have stopped using soy oil. A company representative assured me that the only source of gluten in the factory is the BBQ flavoring used on some of the chips. The lines are steam cleaned between batches. I believe Lays uses the same steam cleaning process but they have more products that do contain gluten so the chances for CC are higher.

Maybe I should write letters to both companies asking them the use a dedicated line for gluten free items.

Love my chips!
RA
Dx Celiacs March '09

#14 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

I can name quite a few too! Pretty much anything made on shared lines gets me. Lay's potato chips (oh, how I do miss those!), canned tomatoes, and a gluten-free brand of coconut are a few items that seriously got me.

It doesn't happen as much these days. I don't know if it's because I just don't take chances with processed foods any more or if the 20ppm concept is making companies focus more when determing if a product is gluten-free. I think it's a little of both.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#15 Emily888

Emily888

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

Oil of Olay soap got me :( I only use Dove now.

I called the company before using it and was told that it did not contain gluten. I used it twice and became very sick, it took a few days to get over the reaction.

I find that for me, lately, gluten sneaks up in the products that I use (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: