98 replies to this topic

#31 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

Udi's bread in Denver gets me every time. It is the world best tasting gluten free bread and I can't eat it. I think it is because they only washed the lines when they converted over to gluten free, didn't replace them. Very low level of cross contamination but enough to keep me in the house near the restroom. I now buy only Outside the Breadbox from Colorado Springs.

Van's waffles. I just tried these last week. I had a reaction that I didn't know where it came from. Now I'm suspicious about the waffles. I won't be buying them again.

Lays potato chips. A shame but they might as well label them as process on wheat facilities. Something labeled like that almost always gets me. I now use Michael Season's low salt potato chips and they have not glutened me. And they are very good.

I use gluten ease for every meal I eat out. before that I was getting cc reactions at least 4 out of 5 times. Now almost never. I can't even remember the last time I had a problem.

This is a good thread. I hope more people list which items get them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

I'm finding it very interesting that regardless of the laws in place we are not able to trust the labels. We have to rely on common sense and each other.
Dx Celiacs March '09

#33 MonKol

MonKol

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

I'm finding it very interesting that regardless of the laws in place we are not able to trust the labels. We have to rely on common sense and each other.

what laws? seriously? are there laws about this stuff?

#34 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

what laws? seriously? are there laws about this stuff?

There are very complicated legal requirements about labeling in the US and in Canada. There are probably many other countries with similar codes. Most ingredients that can be listed have rules about what they can and cannot be.

The law most discussed here is FALCPA (click here). It requires wheat to be disclosed in packaged food sold in the US, regardless of country of origin.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 Jeanniebug

Jeanniebug

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

Here are mine:

Bonefish Grill - Caesar Salad - chef in error tossed my salad in same bowl as other salads containing croutons. He didn't catch the error till after I'd eaten it. The manager came out and told me what happened before we left. We hoped for the best but I woke up super sick...on a roadtrip, while out of town, for a funeral. It was miserable.

Lay's chips...any of them that are supposedly ok, are not ok for me.

Chik-Fil-A - Waffle fries. They advertise as cooked in a dedicated fryer but I did get glutened. I keep a food log so it was definitely this issue, plus my symptoms start within hours. :(

Publix blue corn tortilla chips

Vitamins - all gluten-free vitamins bother me

Kinnikinnick cookies

Bare Essentuals 100% Natural Lipstick (this one was a real humdinger!)

Dove soap

It's hit or miss with me, I have to be very careful.
Jeannie

Gluten-free since April 20, 2009 :)

Diagnosis through the years:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Endometriosis, Epstein-Barre Syndrome, Anemia, Interstitial Cystitis, severe (bladder ulcers...ouch!!) Bursitis. 11 surgeries, 2 years of previous Social Security disability, FMLA forever, one total hysterectomy (uteris fell even though NO KIDS) I'm probably forgetting a few. Lots of immune system problems.

#36 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

I've read that distilled spirits supposedly have the gluten distilled out, but mixed drinks have gotten me 2x. Once a couple of months ago on our 17th anniversary after the Melting Pot.

Didn't even make it home--sooooo embarrassing--at least we live on a darkened street where there aren't any houses for 300 yds. :P I marked the Maple, as my daughter now teases.

#37 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

Hormel Aus Juis pork. According to their website it's gluten free. According to my stomach not so much.
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#38 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

"I use gluten ease for every meal I eat out. before that I was getting cc reactions at least 4 out of 5 times. Now almost never. I can't even remember the last time I had a problem."

What is this? Where can I get some?

I have to eat out for my job, and could really use this.

Put me down for Bonefish-I'm not sure what got me but, it was aweful!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#39 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

What is this? Where can I get some?

I have to eat out for my job, and could really use this.

Hi Sarah,

It is Gluten Ease by Enzymedica. I take it along with their Digest Gold. They are both digestive enzymes.

We have it in our health food grocery stores but I'm sure you can get it on-line.

I still order everything in restaurants gluten free but now I almost never get cc issues. There are a number of different brands with similar products but I've only tried this one.

When I went on a world cruise, earlier this year, I took it almost 3 meals a day for 3.5 months. Sometimes I would forget and get glutened. Sometimes they would majorly gluten me and I got sick anyways but most of the time I did OK.

Cheers!
Michelle

#40 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

Sadly, the new Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins crackers don't work for me, which is a shame because they are delicious.

I am highly sensitive, and on the label it states that, while the crackers are routinely tested for low gluten levels (I applaud them for this), Nut Thins are manufactured in a plant that also processes wheat.

The first time I ate them, it was around the holidays, and I figured it must have been something else I ate, so I vowed to try them again.

The second time, I had a couple crackers in the morning, on an empty stomach, after having a good stretch without a "hit." No luck, I had a reaction very quickly afterwards. Good thing I was at home!

I envy those who can eat these crackers without a problem. They are very tasty!

I went gluten-free in September, and I'm still trying to get my Gliadin back to a normal level. Being glutened by "gluten-free" foods isn't helping, that's for sure.

Like so many of you here, I find I have difficulty with processed foods in general.

I am learning to always read the label, even if "wheat and gluten-free" is shining on the package in a neon sign. If it says there is wheat anywhere near the line, even if trace amounts, I must stay away. :( For me right now, it is probably best to avoid processed foods altogether.

I am being very strict these days - meat, vegetables, and fruit only, for the most part. I'm also buying organic whenever possible.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#41 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

This thread is depressing. <_<

I guess I'm lucky because the only two times I've been full-blown glutened in the past 3 years were from movie theater popcorn (...I forget what company it was. But it wasn't Regal or Loewe's). And then, from a local cafe that purports to have a gluten-free kitchen etc. I ate there once, had their pizza, and was fine. I ate there a second time, had their greek salad and (hopefully) gluten free grilled cheese...and was not fine at all. Not sure which of the two caused the problem.

It's frustrating.
Gluten-free since January, 2007

#42 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

I keep getting glutened and don't know where. Does anybody ever have problems with Kinnikinnick products or freybe meats?

#43 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

I keep getting glutened and don't know where. Does anybody ever have problems with Kinnikinnick products or freybe meats?

I haven't ever had an issue with Kinnie's products and I am very senstive. They are one of the few brands I can eat because they don't load everything with soy. I am not at all familiar with the meat brand you mention so I can't answer for that. If it is fresh unprocessed meat there should be no issue as long as no broth has been added.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#44 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

Chik fil a's fries are not just "supposedly" fried in dedicated fryers. They are. But any fast food place can have CC.

Kinnikinick products are pretty much as safe as you can get. Certified suppliers and completely dedicated facilities. Either your gluten reaction did not come from a K product or something else was bothering you.

richard

#45 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

wow I eat Utz and Van's waffles all the time and have never had any issues! I get really sick off of Crystal Light though, but I don't think that has anything to do with a gluten issue. Might be the appertain?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: