This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lemon Angel Food Cake Recipe

msserena

msserena Apprentice

I used the recipe off the box of Swan Potato Starch Flour:

6 eggs

1 1/2 cups of sifted sugar

1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rinds

3 tbs lemon juice

1 1/4 cups Swan Potato Starch Flour

1/4 cup boiling water

Instructions:

1. Separate eggs, place egg yolks in mixer, (biggest bowl) beat until light, beat in sugar gradually.

2. Add the lemon rind and lemon juice to boiling water, add to mixture and mix until thoroughly blended.

3. Fold in Swan Potato Starch Flour.

4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed, fold gently into mixture.

5. Place in ungreased 10in bunt pan, bake at 300 degrees for 30 mins, increase heat to 350 degrees and bake 35-40 mins longer.

6. Invert pan and allow to cool.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Ann Apprentice

Do you think I could use Rice Flour?

Guest Viola

Oh ... sounds yummy, I just copied it, Thank you! :P

celiac3270 Collaborator

Mmmmm... :D

msserena Apprentice

Lisa Ann, Im not really sure about using rice flour, but give it a shot.

Me and my family ate this cake within a day LOL, its very good.

Please let me know how it works out.

moving on Apprentice

I am not familiar with Swan potato starch flour and gluten-free resources are limited. I have potato starch and potato flour and there is a real difference. The flour seems a bit heavy for angel food. Could potato starch be used in place? I do know that you can make sponge cake using potato starch. I like angel food cake for fresh strawberries and would like to try this.

msserena Apprentice

Im sure you can use any brand of potato starch flour you like.

The recipe came right off the box of the brand that was avail to me. I didnt have to alter it in anyway. Tastes better then any store bought angel food cake. Light and fluffy and moist :D Just make sure you really whip the egg whites until they are white and fluffy, kinda reminds you of a big bowl of mashed potatos.

It tasted great plain and or using it for strawberries and whipped cream hehe

I will soon attempt to take out the fresh lemon juice and replace with like a tsp of vanilla to make just a reg. angel food cake.

I will post the results of the attempt just as soon as I get around making another one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yuuummm...I'm going to be cooking that later :D Thanks for posting the recipe

• 3 months later...
rma451 Newbie

hi,

I found another recipe for angel food cake it was great loved it only used twice as many eggs , will try this one for sure love angel food cake ,

the recipe I have uses 1/2 tsp almond extract and 1 tsp vanilla only complain my family had was they didnt think it had enough flavoring , texture was right on though so will increase the vanilla by another 1/2 tsp next time.

maybe this will help you when you want to change to the vanilla . ty sounds good .

Archived