This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy/gluten Intolerant People, I Have A Question

RacerRex9727

RacerRex9727 Rookie

For those of you that are soy and gluten intolerant (including Celiac disease) like me, I have a question. Does soy cause you to have reactions as severe as gluten reactions? Or are they just annoying and nowhere near as bad as getting a gluten reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I have a soy allergy and Yes, I get the same symptoms when I get glutened.

mushroom Proficient
For those of you that are soy and gluten intolerant (including Celiac disease) like me, I have a question. Does soy cause you to have reactions as severe as gluten reactions? Or are they just annoying and nowhere near as bad as getting a gluten reaction?

My soy reaction presents as a bright red rash and extreme itching.

seashele2 Newbie

My soy and gluten reactions are similar, but different. My reactions to being glutened are usually delayed. My reaction to soy are more immediate, usually within the hour of consumption. As far as what the symptoms are for me, both exposures cause nausea, intestinal cramping and bloating, and usually diarrhea (more so with soy).

A gluten exposure will take the body (villi) weeks to recover from. For me, a soy reaction is usually cleared within 24 hours.

Michelle

Western Washington State

I am gluten/soy/dairy/beef-free

Daughter is gluten/corn/dairy-free

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My reactions to soy are much different than my reactions to gluten. Soy binds me up really bad but I don't get the same neuro effects and arthritic pain that I get from gluten. Soy also makes me feel like my intestines are swollen but doesn't give me the bloat and gas that I get from gluten. Gluten also makes my ataxia worse, makes my hair fall out and once I get D, about 3 days after contact, I then have 3 days of GI bleeding and pass clots. That doesn't happen with the soy. The soy reaction also passes fairly quickly with gluten I am sick for up to 3 weeks.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Soy causes the symptoms I used to get with gluten...stomach cramping, diarrhea, and I am sick for at least 3 weeks...gluten now is mostly neurological symptoms, yet my tummy isn't right for 3 weeks to 4 months.

sylviaann Apprentice

You may be actually reacting to MSG (found in all soy products) and other foods (whole foods) that contain naturally occuring glutamates. I recently discovered this through researching for info and reviewing my food/medication/cosmetics diary. MSG and aspartate (artifiicial sweeteners) are both strong excitotoxins to the brain and can cause GI and neuro problems/symptoms. After almost three years of suffering from myoclonus, I have recently made this discovery. Gluten (gluten grains), Dairy, corn, and soy have the higest level of glutamic acid.

"Whole Foods" containing high levels (which triggered my myoclonus) include: Shrimp and shellfish, Parmesan cheese (and many cheeses), mushrooms, tomatoes, Boar's head deli meats, Boar's head hot dogs, many chicken broths that contain yeast extract, products containing hydrolyzed vegetable or soy proteins or hydrolyzed "anything". Most nuts (cashews are the worst), most beans (but not all), gelatin found in capsules, ice cream and some gluten-free flours...and commerically produced gluten-free bread! Most toothpastes and tooth whiteners contain artificial sweeteners. I reacted severely to Aquafresh White trays two weeks ago. Many cosmetic products also contain glutamates. I am currently investigating my Garnier hair color because I see one ingredient that could be a strong possibility. There are so many products containing hidden Glutamates but it is well worth considering as you may find a substantial improvement in symptoms if you make a "connection" with this.

Sylvia ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

My gluten reactions are annoying, my soy reactions are more extreme.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Soy gets me faster than gluten with acne around my mouth and jaw line. I do recover within a day with soy but takes me a few days with gluten (fog and tiredness).

Korwyn Explorer

My soy reaction is worse and more immediate than my gluten reaction. For me soy even small amounts of soy trigger within about an hour stomach cramps, then within 3-4 hours anxiety and insomnia, and hot flashes. Larger amounts of soy trigger moderate myoclonus and panic attacks in addition. It takes me about 1 to 2 weeks to recover from soy reaction. The anxiety and insomnia are the last things to go.

no-more-muffins Apprentice

My soy reaction involved massive bloating, diarrhea and cramps so bad I thought I was having a baby. It doesn't last as long, usually a day.

My gluten reaction usually involves anxiety, nausea, sleeplessness, fatigue, shakiness and weakness. It usually lasts over a week.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I have the same problems with soy as Sylvia Ann has. If you take foods high in glutamates like soy and then process it, the glutamates are freed. If your sensitive to MSG (many people are and don't know it) you'll react to soy. Free Glutamates causes neurons or receptor cells to fire sometimes to the point of death. We have alot of these cells lining our digestive tract, along our heart, and across the brain or BBB.

Processed soy will in turn give me headaches, stomach distress and at night I'll wake up because my heart is beating like crazy in my chest. Then insomnia will follow. Not fun.

Gail

Archived