This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

celiac disease, Gluten Sensitivity And Lung / Breathing Problems?

Meggie

Meggie Rookie

Hello Again :)

I was just wondering if having lung / breathing disorders are commonly link or recognised with celiac disease or Gluten sensitivitie's?

As I mentioned previously, I've had a sore throat for the past 10 months, I have also been breathless and have slightly breathing difficulties, like it almost feels like mild asthma, or like a mild infection or something, sometimes there's a bit of mucous too.

I finally got in to see the Ear Nose and Throat Doctor, after a big wait and he said it all looks perfect :rolleyes: .

I'm just feeling more breathless and tight than ever, and increasingly so.

I just wondered...... could it be related to gluten in any way...?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I can only speak for mysef but my asthma and chronic bronchitis have totally disappeared since I went gluten free. I know asthma is linked to inflammation and for me celiac causes a lot of that. I haven't needed either my inhalor or Singulair since diagnosed.

OliveBranch Apprentice

I definitely think this is the case. I started having breathing problems for the first time about a year into being generally and inexplicably sick. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong but diagnosed "very mild asthma" and gave me an inhaler, which didn't help much even though I used it frequently. Since going gluten free a couple months ago, I've seen a huge improvement in my breathing and have only needed my inhaler once or twice. I think that the problems were probably related to gas/bloating and not in the lungs at all.

I should note that I'm not too qualified to comment since I don't have an official celiac diagnosis and I'm a long way from full recovery still, but this is one symptom that has already almost disappeared for me, so I though I'd share. :)

Hello Again :)

I was just wondering if having lung / breathing disorders are commonly link or recognised with celiac disease or Gluten sensitivitie's?

As I mentioned previously, I've had a sore throat for the past 10 months, I have also been breathless and have slightly breathing difficulties, like it almost feels like mild asthma, or like a mild infection or something, sometimes there's a bit of mucous too.

I finally got in to see the Ear Nose and Throat Doctor, after a big wait and he said it all looks perfect :rolleyes: .

I'm just feeling more breathless and tight than ever, and increasingly so.

I just wondered...... could it be related to gluten in any way...?

Thanks

RiceGuy Collaborator

Based on my own experience, and many posts on this board, I do think there is a link.

Have you tried a gluten-free diet yet?

ang1e0251 Contributor

Dr. Carolyn Dean had a story of a patient who showed improved asthma symptoms when he increased his magnesium intake. If you would increase your magnesium and eliminate gluten, maybe your symptoms would improve greatly??

Meggie Rookie
Based on my own experience, and many posts on this board, I do think there is a link.

Have you tried a gluten-free diet yet?

I was only gluten free for two weeks, but am now back on it again awaiting the biopsy which will be a couple of months away. My initial appointment with the gastro is in 6 weeks.

Magnesium.... yes, I've had other magnesium deficiency symptoms in the past too, my naturopath said not to bother taking any supplements just yet until she's finished healing my small intestine and worked on my liver first. I'm still early days in my treatment.

Revenwoodglass, yes, I seem to have inflamatory responses too, your post gave me hope, thanks

Thanks everyone,

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was only gluten free for two weeks, but am now back on it again awaiting the biopsy which will be a couple of months away. My initial appointment with the gastro is in 6 weeks.

Magnesium.... yes, I've had other magnesium deficiency symptoms in the past too, my naturopath said not to bother taking any supplements just yet until she's finished healing my small intestine and worked on my liver first. I'm still early days in my treatment.

Revenwoodglass, yes, I seem to have inflamatory responses too, your post gave me hope, thanks

Thanks everyone,

One thing I would suggest is to be put on a cancellation list for the procedure and the appointment if your schedule permits. Also even though you were only gluten free for a couple weeks your body may still react badly to adding gluten back in. Make sure you let you doctors know if that happens. If you do need to be gluten free you may not get much if any relief from your naturopathic treatments until you are gluten free. Also make very certain your naturopath is familiar with celiac disease and the need for absolute strictness with the diet. Many are very knowledgeable but as with any doctor that can vary. I saw one who thought 'a little bit' was okay. It wasn't for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frogrun Apprentice

I too believe that there is a connection. Since going gluten-free my asthma and allergies have been significantly better. Even on asthma medications I never really felt better, but now I feel like a new woman

nasalady Contributor

Yes, my asthma is better too. Asthma is closely related to autoimmune diseases in general. The quote below is from the following medical abstract:

Open Original Shared Link

"The parallel appearance of asthma and autoimmune conditions in the same patients may reveal that such aberrations of the immune system have a common pathophysiologic mechanism. Mast cells, which play a key role in asthma, and the wealth of inflammatory mediators they express, make it likely that they have profound effects on many autoimmune processes."

It makes total sense that as our other autoimmune diseases begin to subside, asthma will improve as well! :)

Archived