This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Avoiding All Gluten Possible?

wakefulwife

wakefulwife Newbie

I am looking for wisdom and feeling frustrated. I have a biopsy confirmed diagnosis as of May. For years I thought that I had gall stones, but they could never find any. I get awful stomach cramps when eating eggs or other concentrated fat foods. It had gotten to the point that my stomach hurt whenever I ate, and I was anemic, I thought from donating blood too frequently. When my father was diagnosed in March, I had the biopsy. I have been feeling much better since going gluten-free, but I never really reacted much to gluten anyway. Still can't eat eggs, but it is not as bad, and only have serious anemia symptoms when I have my period. My concern now is cross-contamination. How much of a risk is it? How do I know if I am avoiding gluten completely if I am not reactive to it? I still eat out, and do my best to avoid gluten. I try to be careful in food prep, but no one else in my family is going gluten-free. I wonder if it is possible to avoid all gluten? If I am non-reactive, is there some other way to tell if I am being successful? I never had the blood test, just went straight to the endoscopy. Would have never guessed in a million years that my issues were gluten related if my very reactive father had not been diagnosed.

Also, I could sure use a good Doctor and dietitian in the Oklahoma City area. Just moved here form MD and my GI Dr in Maryland was not very helpful. I was told to take a multi-vitamin and avoid all gluten. Easier said than done I am finding.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Were those foods you were eating when you felt bad containing gluten and eggs? Celiac Disease has so many symptoms from headaches,r ashes, vomiting, etc., that you could have had many and not thought they were related. You can be gluten-free if you try and get used to your diet. It takes awhile to get used to and you'll be better off on it. Plus, you could have complications and a compromised immune system if you continue eating it.

Good luck and you'll find this site is a great resource!

wakefulwife Newbie
Were those foods you were eating when you felt bad containing gluten and eggs? Celiac Disease has so many symptoms from headaches,r ashes, vomiting, etc., that you could have had many and not thought they were related. You can be gluten-free if you try and get used to your diet. It takes awhile to get used to and you'll be better off on it. Plus, you could have complications and a compromised immune system if you continue eating it.

Good luck and you'll find this site is a great resource!

Yes, I was eating gluten when I was sick. I have no doubt that was the problem. My question is, since I do not have an immediately discernible reaction to gluten, how can I tell if I have successfully avoided cross-contamination? How big a risk is it? I live in OK, surrounded by wheat fields and grain elevators. Do I need to be concerned about making sandwiches for my kids? Do I need to throw out my makeup? It seems like there is no way eliminate all gluten from your world. What happens if I accidentally ingest gluten? Have I undone all the healing to my system. I wish that I became violently ill when I was exposed to it, at least I would know and be able to avoid the contamination. I feel great now that I am off the gluten, but I suspect that I may still be coming in contact with it to some degree. I do not Clorox the whole kitchen after I make a sandwich for the kids.

mushroom Proficient

You have to be a detective to remain gluten free; that is, you have to be really conscientious about reading every label; and thinking about every thing you put in your mouth. I catch my husband (who has DH) in unconscious eating sometimes and can't believe he is so careless. But it takes quite a bit of gluten for him to react. We are all diferent in our levels of conscious tolerance, but that does not mean that harm is not being done by the unconscious eating with no apparent consequences. So all I can advise is to be as aware as possible about what you consume; that is all any of us can do.

It is possible to avoid all gluten; most of us do it 99.5 % of the time; however, living with gluten eating peoples makes it more complicated. You have to have our own utensils and frying pans and toaster, your own jars of spread, and your own storage and preparation areas, and have your rooommates respect these no-go areas in order for this to work. Good luck on your gluten free journey.

wakefulwife Newbie
You have to be a detective to remain gluten free; that is, you have to be really conscientious about reading every label; and thinking about every thing you put in your mouth. I catch my husband (who has DH) in unconscious eating sometimes and can't believe he is so careless. But it takes quite a bit of gluten for him to react. We are all diferent in our levels of conscious tolerance, but that does not mean that harm is not being done by the unconscious eating with no apparent consequences. So all I can advise is to be as aware as possible about what you consume; that is all any of us can do.

It is possible to avoid all gluten; most of us do it 99.5 % of the time; however, living with gluten eating peoples makes it more complicated. You have to have our own utensils and frying pans and toaster, your own jars of spread, and your own storage and preparation areas, and have your rooommates respect these no-go areas in order for this to work. Good luck on your gluten free journey.

Is a 4 slice toaster sufficient if two slices are dedicated to gluten-free food, or do I have to have a completely separate one?

ang1e0251 Contributor

You need your own toaster. You really cannot control the crumb factor. Making the kid's sandwiches only requires you to prep them on a paper towel then fold in the crumbs and throw away. Then wash your hands. Don't freak out just be concious of gluten. None of us are perfect, so we just have to go with our best effort. At some point you may want to test again to see if your damage shows improvement. My guess it is has since you're feeling better.

lovegrov Collaborator

If you eat out or eat processed foods or live with somebody who isn't gluten-free, then , no, you cannot avoid ALL gluten. You will get some somewhere. Even people who are more sensitive probably get tiny amounts without knowing it unless they avoid all of the above. BUT, you can avoid it the vast majority of the time -- and for most of us that's what we need to do.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wakefulwife Newbie
If you eat out or eat processed foods or live with somebody who isn't gluten-free, then , no, you cannot avoid ALL gluten. You will get some somewhere. Even people who are more sensitive probably get tiny amounts without knowing it unless they avoid all of the above. BUT, you can avoid it the vast majority of the time -- and for most of us that's what we need to do.

richard

Thanks, that is helpful. I just gets a bit overwhelming. It is such a radical life-style change. Found out yesterday that there is wheat oil in my favorite lip balm and sunscreen. Both rather pricey. DARN. So despite all my hard work in trying to remain vigilant, I probably still exposed anyway. ARGH!

Archived