7 replies to this topic

#1 bettyboop29

bettyboop29

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in May 2007 and have been feeling much better thanks to the gluten free diet. However, after having blood drawn for a routine physical, my primary care physcian noted that my red blood cells are quite enlarged, and are actually 2 to 3 times the size that a red blood cell should normally be. He sent me to a Hemotologist who did more testing and came up with the same results of enlarged red blood cells. The Hemotologist did extensive testing and could find no reason for the cells to be so enlarged, and finally dismissed the matter, saying it must be normal for me. I don't seem to have any symptoms, except that if I get a cut or have blood drawn, I bleed excesively. Has anyone else had this or heard of this and could it be related to celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in May 2007 and have been feeling much better thanks to the gluten free diet. However, after having blood drawn for a routine physical, my primary care physcian noted that my red blood cells are quite enlarged, and are actually 2 to 3 times the size that a red blood cell should normally be. He sent me to a Hemotologist who did more testing and came up with the same results of enlarged red blood cells. The Hemotologist did extensive testing and could find no reason for the cells to be so enlarged, and finally dismissed the matter, saying it must be normal for me. I don't seem to have any symptoms, except that if I get a cut or have blood drawn, I bleed excesively. Has anyone else had this or heard of this and could it be related to celiac disease?

Have you had your nutrient levels tested? My mean cell volume was too high for a long time until I supplemented my very low levels of D, B12, and folate, particularly, but also took a Mega B supplement and a multi-mineral. They are back to normal now.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

Smoking and drinking can also effect the blood cells.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Have B12 and Folate been checked ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#5 Di_gfree

Di_gfree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:26 AM

I have the same problem with my red blood cells being too large. I always have a low RBC count result when I get my blood checked. So, I'm interested to know the reason for this, too. I have anemia, too - not sure if there's a connection there. B12 is low, so I take a sublingual B12 along with Floravit iron. Vitamin D level is deficient (taking D3 supps). My folate is good. I don't smoke or drink.
Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since
Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:10 AM

Just off the top of my head....

Enlarged red blood cells is a trait of Pernicious Anemia.
Pernicious Anemia has a correlation to Celiac disease.
In this disorder the gut lining lacks intrinsic factor for absorbtion of vitamin B12.
It is not the easiest thing to get diagnosed.

I am concerned that the doctors you have seen are willing to dismiss this symptom and not finding any answer for you. As the with Pernicious Anemia this can have very serious health complications.

Please don't take this as any type of diagnoses, just as a possible scenario, and why you need to find a doctor willing to diagnose and treat you.

Good luck!
Michigan

#7 Cyndi

Cyndi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

This is something I would like to know the answer to also so please keep us informed if you go for second opinion. (Same blood work always say related to lupus now that been dignoses with celiac probably say due to celiac but they never do anything more)

Good Luck <_<

#8 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Do you know what your RBC indices (MCV, MCH, MCHC) and hemoglobin and hematocrit are? What about your RBC morphology? Do you have ovalocytes or elliptocytes? Enlarged RBCs can have many causes. For example, it could be related to pernicious anemia, megaloblastic anemia or your liver could be depositing lipids onto your RBCs. Make sure they do plenty of testing, but it could be megaloblastic anemia of unknown cause. If they cannot find a cause I would continue to get regular CBCs.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: