This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One Week Gluten Free...

lizbeth93099

lizbeth93099 Rookie

Hi, I am new to these forums (reading for a while, but first post) and new to gluten free. My daughter, 9, has had several issues for years-unexplained stomach pain, diarrhea, heartburn, eczema, dry cracking bleeding fingertips, but her most difficult issue has been severe anxiety and panic attacks.

I mentioned celiac to her doctor about 2 years ago after doing some research myself. Her sister has a peanut allergy and my husband has an unspecified IBS, so I knew food allergies run in the family. The doctor never really gave it a second thought. So, as we tend to do, I just tucked it away thinking the doctor knows best.

My daughter has been in therapy for her anxiety since she was 6. It's hard seeing your children face unreal and irrational fears that cripple them. We went to the doctor again in July and I talked to the doctor again. I told her, "It may be wishful thinking as a mom that there can be a quick fix for her anxiety, that I can cut out some food and see her get better, but I'd like to know." She agreed to an allergy testing and we did the blood test. Sure enough she came back with a peak to wheat. The doctors response was that it wasn't enough to cause her any concern, just don't feed her any whole wheat bread. That really didn't make any sense to me at all.

We talked to her therapist and he said that we should definitely give gluten free a try, that he believed food did affect so much.

We started last week. It's been difficult because she feels like she is being deprived. For the past few days she has been complaining about headaches and saying that her stomach feels weird and hurts at times. I'm guessing that could be her body withdrawing from the gluten?

If you have managed to stay with this long intro, thank you. I'm hoping to learn a lot from others and gain strength when needed...and maybe eventually be able to help others too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

There are many of us here who suffer from anxiety, whether due to gluten or not, so I feel your pain(for both of you). My son also tested pos. to wheat in allergy testing(both blood and skin) and the docs dismissed it. It was a difficult decision and a process of testing the waters out but we found that gluten did affect him and then took him gluten-free. He has eczema that goes away when all gluten is removed from his diet and comes back when it is re-introduced. He'll never get a formal celiac disease DX with the symptoms that he has and even with clear reaction to wheat/gluten the docs don't agree with my decision. As a mom you have to do what you think best. If there are any things that she misses, maybe we can help point you to some alternatives. Sometimes we have a hard time digesting the new flours/grains and other things at the beginning when our bodies are still healing so that could account for some digestive discomfort.

lizbeth93099 Rookie

Thank you for your reply.

I made her a homemade gluten free bread-which is pretty tasty if I do say so myself. It's from Bette Hagaman's book, "The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread." I picked up a copy at the library. For some reason my daughter won't eat it. In fact for some reason, she is barely eating anything at all. Breakfast is a struggle, lunch is minimal and dinner is the only meal she eats and then, not to much. I'm almost ready to call the doctor again, because she is eating so little. School has just started and any change causes more anxiety...probably a bad time to start a new way of eating, but it just happened that way. I'm hoping that in a couple weeks (maybe sooner) we will see some positive changes.

Thanks again for your reply.

chiroptera Apprentice

Hello. This is a great place to get help and suuport and many really good ideas on how to manage eating gluten free. In a nutshell, about 2 years ago my twin daughters started to have really really bad digestive issues (one mainly severe pain and diarrahea, all the time and the other GERD). One started getting bad migraines, both were diagnosed with asthma and all of a sudden seemed to have seasonal allergies. Nothing sounded "right" and I, like you, just knew something was wrong and wasn't getting enough help from our doctor. I put two and two together and thought maybe they were gluten intolerant/celiac, as their paternal grandmother has been officially diagnosed with the disease. Long story short, the last day they had gluten was June 10 and they are like two different little girls. I started their brother on gluten-free in August as well, although he didn't show any digestive issues, but you know a problem with gluten can manifest many ways.

Yes, it is not easy!! I waited until the end of the school year when they would be home with me all day because I thought it would be simplier. What we have done as a family is focus on more whole foods (I had already eliminated MSG and most processed stuff in the spring anyhow). But I think most importantly is I have tried really hard to make fun substitutions for their favorite foods, like pizza. I try to bake their favorite desserts, just make them gluten free (well now they are off dairy and egg to but that's another story). I try so hard to focus on what they can have, not what they can't. They like to be given choices about what to eat, especially what I pack in their lunch. They really want to make sure they like their lunch that they eat at school. They were excited about a gluten free trail mix I put together. I actually have added some amounts of mainstream treats I would have never bought before, like scittles, because they are gluten free and they were so happy to have a real treat. We try to make it fun, all this label reading and such. Their maternal grandma has been a huge help as well, helping us all along the way. Maybe just try to focus on the part of trying new foods instead of oh no we can't eat that.

And about the anxiety, one of my girls was full of anxiety and I feel she calmed down while off gluten. But then on a weekend trip she ate gluten (chicken nuggets) and oh my goodness, she flipped out. Her sister will not touch gluten at all btw. She knows it makes her sick.

Try to hang in there; it is so true; mothers really do know best!!!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Aventine
    Newest Member
    Aventine
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Anmol
      Thanks this is helpful. Couple of follow -ups- that critical point till it stays silent is age dependent or dependent on continuing to eat gluten. In other words if she is on gluten-free diet can she stay on silent celiac disease forever?    what are the most cost effective yet efficient test to track the inflammation/antibodies and see if gluten-free is working . 
    • trents
      Welcome to the community forum, @Anmol! There are a number of blood antibody tests that can be administered when diagnosing celiac disease and it is normal that not all of them will be positive. Three out of four that were run for you were positive. It looks pretty conclusive that you have celiac disease. Many physicians will only run the tTG-IGA test so I applaud your doctor for being so thorough. Note, the Immunoglobulin A is not a test for celiac disease per se but a measure of total IGA antibody levels in your blood. If this number is low it can cause false negatives in the individual IGA-based celiac antibody tests. There are many celiacs who are asymptomatic when consuming gluten, at least until damage to the villous lining of the small bowel progresses to a certain critical point. I was one of them. We call them "silent" celiacs".  Unfortunately, being asymptomatic does not equate to no damage being done to the villous lining of the small bowel. No, the fact that your wife is asymptomatic should not be viewed as a license to not practice strict gluten free eating. She is damaging her health by doing so and the continuing high antibody test scores are proof of that. The antibodies are produced by inflammation in the small bowel lining and over time this inflammation destroys the villous lining. Continuing to disregard this will catch up to her. While it may be true that a little gluten does less harm to the villous lining than a lot, why would you even want to tolerate any harm at all to it? Being a "silent" celiac is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in the sense of being able to endure some cross contamination in social settings without embarrassing repercussions. It's a curse in that it slows down the learning curve of avoiding foods where gluten is not an obvious ingredient, yet still may be doing damage to the villous lining of the small bowel. GliadinX is helpful to many celiacs in avoiding illness from cross contamination when eating out but it is not effective when consuming larger amounts of gluten. It was never intended for that purpose. Eating out is the number one sabotager of gluten free eating. You have no control of how food is prepared and handled in restaurant kitchens.  
    • knitty kitty
      Forgot one... https://www.hormonesmatter.com/eosinophilic-esophagitis-sugar-thiamine-sensitive/
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @ekelsay! Yes, your tTG-IGA score is strongly positive for celiac disease. There are other antibody tests that can be run when diagnosing celiac disease but the tTG-IGA is the most popular with physicians because it combines good sensitivity with good specificity, and it is a relatively inexpensive test to perform. The onset of celiac disease can happen at any stage of life and the size of the score is not necessarily an indicator of the progress of the disease. It is likely that you you experienced onset well before you became aware of symptoms. It often takes 10 years or more to get a diagnosis of celiac disease after the first appearance of symptoms. In my case, the first indicator was mildly elevated liver enzymes that resulted in a rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross at age 37. There was no GI discomfort at that point, at least none that I noticed. Over time, other lab values began to get out of norm, including decreased iron levels. My PCP was at a complete loss to explain any of this. I finally scheduled an appointment with a GI doc because the liver enzymes concerned me and he tested me right away for celiac disease. I was positive and within three months of gluten free eating my liver enzymes were back to normal. That took 13 years since the rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross. And my story is typical. Toward the end of that period I had developed some occasional diarrhea and oily stool but no major GI distress. Many celiacs do not have classic GI symptoms and are "silent" celiacs. There are around 200 symptoms that have been associated with celiac disease and many or most of them do not involve conscious GI distress. Via an autoimmune process, gluten ingestion triggers inflammation in the villous lining of the small bowel which damages it over time and inhibits the ability of this organ to absorb the vitamins and minerals in the food we ingest. So, that explains why those with celiac disease often suffer iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis and a host of other vitamin and mineral deficiency related medical issues. The villous lining of the small bowel is where essentially all of our nutrition is absorbed. So, yes, anemia is one of the classic symptoms of celiac disease. One very important thing you need to be aware of is that your PCP may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining to confirm the results of the blood antibody testing. So, you must not begin gluten free eating until that is done or at least you know they are going to diagnose you with celiac disease without it. If you start gluten free eating now there will be healing in the villous lining that will begin to take place which may compromise the results of the biopsy.
    • Anmol
      Hello all- my wife was recently diagnosed with Celiac below are her blood results. We are still absorbing this.  I wanted to seek clarity on few things:  1. Her symptoms aren't extreme. She was asked to go on gluten free diet a couple years ago but she did not completely cut off gluten. Partly because she wasn't seeing extreme symptoms. Only bloating and mild diarrhea after a meal full of gluten.  Does this mean that she is asymptomatic but enormous harm is done with every gram of gluten.? in other words is amount gluten directly correlated with harm on the intestines? or few mg of gluten can be really harmful to the villi  2. Why is she asymptomatic?  3. Is Gliadin X safe to take and effective for Cross -contamination or while going out to eat?  4. Since she is asymptomatic, can we sometimes indulge in a gluten diet? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deamidated Gliadin, IgG - 64 (0-19) units tTG IgA -  >100 (0-3) U/ml tTG IgG - 4   (0-5) Why is this in normal range? Endomysial Antibody - Positive  Immunoglobulin A - 352 (87-352) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Thanks for help in advance, really appreciate!