#1 Paul H

Paul H

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently got into a relationship with woman who I care for very much and she has celiac disease. I really would love to cook my lasagne for her, but obviously she can't eat wheat pasta. We have found a few brown rice pasta lasagne noodle manufacturers, but they are horrible.
Does anyone know of a really good gluten free Lasagne noodle? What brand is it? What type? Do you know if they sell or ship to Canada?
Thanks for any help on this,

Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

I live in BC and I buy Tinkyada lasagna noodles - either at Safeway or our local health food store. Make sure you don't over cook them and no one will even notice they're gluten free.

However, don't drain them in your regular gluten-y colander and make sure all pots & pans are well scrubbed to avoid cross contamination. Enjoy !

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

I'll second the support for Tinkyada. We buy them at a local independent grocery store. We are in a suburb of Toronto.

Elf's comments about cross-contamination are bang on, as well.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Paul H

Paul H

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thanks guys.
I wasn't so much worried about the cross contamination, because I always clean things thuroughly. I just want a noodle that has the same consistancy, texture and taste as a regular wheat pasta noodle.
Any tips on how to cook the noodles so that I can achieve this effect?

Paul

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

Yep, Tinkyada is the one I'd recommend also. They are made in Canada too.

As for how to cook them, the package has cooking instructions. But, I'd think the lasagna noodles would be easier than say spaghetti or elbows, to get right. Simply because lasagna noodles aren't fully cooked in water anyway. Whenever I've made them, I haven't even looked at the instructions. Just get them to that sorta softened, half-cooked stage like you would wheat lasagna. They should turn out great. Like any lasagna, the sauce, cheese and so forth also hide a multitude of sins.

The comments about cross-contamination are quite right. It's practically impossible to get all the gluten off a colander. And whatever you do, don't use wooden utensils.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 Di_gfree

Di_gfree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

I use Tinkyada lasagna noodles, too (I'm in Canada). I've found that if I cook the lasagna noodles for just 10 minutes (no longer), they don't get too soft when you bake the lasagna. One thing I found; one time I froze one half of the pre-baked lasagna to eat at a later date; and when I re-heated the frozen lasagna, the noodles did get pretty soft. It was still good, though. But now I just put the other uneaten half in the fridge, and eat the next day.

Also, I have pots that I only use for cooking gluten-free foods in, so there is no chance of cross contamination.
Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since
Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

#7 Paul H

Paul H

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Hey you guys,

I want to thank you for all your suggestions and tips. Now I need one more little piece of help if you could. I've been trying to locate a store that actually sells the Tinkyada brand noodles in my area, but I'm having trouble. I live in the Greater Vancouver Area of BC. Do any of you know of a store where I can buy them. I tried going to Choices Market this morning, but they don't carry the Tinkyada brand.
Thanks for any help,

Paul

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

Try Whole Foods Market. They have four locations in Vancouver. Click for locations. I would call ahead to make sure they have it before making the trip.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Di_gfree

Di_gfree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

If all else fails, you can mail order from El Peto in Ontario. Not sure if you've ever heard of them; but I mail order things like gluten-free hamburger buns and gluten-free bread from them occasionally. But, they also sell Tinkyada pasta.

http://www.elpeto.com/tinkyada.html

Dianne
Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since
Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: