This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eggs Bother Anyone ?

oreilly15

oreilly15 Rookie

Hi, I've been off gluten for almost a year now and feeling good. I don't have to many options for a good breakfast so I usually just stick with bacon and eggs, but some days I get really bad cramps afterwards. I'm sure its the eggs but I don't know why they would bother me. Does anyone else feel like this after eating eggs and does anyone know why?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Likely its an allergy, I have the same problem. Its OK if I eat them once a week however...

Am now on a no grain diet (scd) and that seems to be helping. In the past I couldn't tolerate eggs (and a number of other things) at all...

missy'smom Collaborator

I've always had a strong aversion to eggs and not sure what is going on. I call it an intolerance for now. Had one test done for both egg whites and yolks(separately) but it wasn't helpful. I seem to be able to handle an egg or two in baked goods occasionally but not straight up. The concentration/ratio seems to be important-there is a clear threshold of tolerance. I've been experimenting with ground flax as an egg replacer in baked good that call for alot of eggs.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Eggs can bother me depending on how they're cooked. Extra oil in the cooking... usually gets to me. (So, restaurant/diner cooked eggs, which tend to be greasy, do NOT sit well, but home cooked eggs which are cooked exactly the same way but on a non-stick skillet without oil are just fine.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I've always had some problems with pork producing gluten like symptoms.

jststric Contributor

eggs have become a big no-no for me also. I MISS BREAKFAST FOODS!!!!! I have simply learned to eat non-breakfast type foods. Really, the goal is to put nutrition and food into my stomach and make it till lunch. I usually eat leftover whatever was for supper the past night or two. There are some great egg replacers for baked good....ENER-G powdered Egg Replacer, for one. I totally get missing good eggs, though. Just as a side note, pp said you can have them once a week.....maybe YOU can't. I have been SO good about staying away from them for at least a couple of years and accidently had something last week with 2 eggs in a very large dish. I thought....well, maybe it's so little, it won't bother me. WRONG!!! Eggs did NOT show up on an allergy test, so its simply another "intolerance", one of many, many for me. But cheating, even once in a blue moon, doesn't seem to be my luck. Best wishes.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm absolutely fine with eggs in a recipe mixed with other ingredients, but I get nauseated if I eat them plain, as in scrambled eggs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Yep! Gluten is not a problem for me but I do have food allergies. Took me a while to discover this. I have diabetes so I have to watch my carbs. I ate a lot of cottage cheese for breakfast but couldn't always find the kind I wanted or I just got sick of it and wanted a change. So I would eat boiled eggs.

We were living in NY at the time and my daughter was in Pre-K. I would have to drive her to school right after breakfast. Every morning I would get to the door, feel my stomach rumble and then have to run back to the bathroom. I would get her to school and just barely make it back home again. I thought it was nerves and driving in the NY traffic. Never dawned on me that eggs might be the culprit.

Then we moved to WA. Daughter was diagnosed with food allergies. Eggs and dairy being among them. For her sake, I quit eating these things. Figured it would be easier on her if I didn't eat them either.

Then one day I was getting salad at the salad bar. I took some egg salad. About 16 hours later, I became very sick to my stomach. The next day I was fool enough to eat the rest of the egg salad. 2 hours later I became ill again! Thought it was food poisoning.

Then about a month later, I had some eggs that I had bought for my husband that were about to go bad. I made egg salad with them. Ate some. 16 hours later, got sick. Still didn't make the connection because the reaction was so delayed. Ate some the next day. 2 hours later got sick.

I then saw the pattern! So I quit eating eggs. Decided to get myself tested due to my mother's and my daughter's allergies. The Dr. told me I was very allergic to something and asked me to guess what it was. Yep! Eggs. Also dairy and almonds.

Took a couple of weeks to get eveything cleared out of my system. Only then did I begin to feel better. I suspect I was allergic to at least the eggs and dairy all of my life. As a child, my stomach was sick more often than it wasn't. I had constantly itchy nose and eyes. I took allergy pills and they didn't help.

Now I am much better! I am careful not to eat anything that might contain my allergens. I should add that mine are IgG allergies and not IgE.

larry mac Enthusiast

I've thought for quite some time now that scrambled or fried eggs don't aggree with my stomach. It's fairly minor, and I'm not totally convinced. Still, I'm suspect of them. I get a slight tummy ache, and maybe just a touch of D. Only eat them maybe once every 3 weeks or so.

best regards, lm

• 1 month later...
missybean Apprentice
Yep! Gluten is not a problem for me but I do have food allergies. Took me a while to discover this. I have diabetes so I have to watch my carbs. I ate a lot of cottage cheese for breakfast but couldn't always find the kind I wanted or I just got sick of it and wanted a change. So I would eat boiled eggs.

We were living in NY at the time and my daughter was in Pre-K. I would have to drive her to school right after breakfast. Every morning I would get to the door, feel my stomach rumble and then have to run back to the bathroom. I would get her to school and just barely make it back home again. I thought it was nerves and driving in the NY traffic. Never dawned on me that eggs might be the culprit.

Then we moved to WA. Daughter was diagnosed with food allergies. Eggs and dairy being among them. For her sake, I quit eating these things. Figured it would be easier on her if I didn't eat them either.

Then one day I was getting salad at the salad bar. I took some egg salad. About 16 hours later, I became very sick to my stomach. The next day I was fool enough to eat the rest of the egg salad. 2 hours later I became ill again! Thought it was food poisoning.

Then about a month later, I had some eggs that I had bought for my husband that were about to go bad. I made egg salad with them. Ate some. 16 hours later, got sick. Still didn't make the connection because the reaction was so delayed. Ate some the next day. 2 hours later got sick.

I then saw the pattern! So I quit eating eggs. Decided to get myself tested due to my mother's and my daughter's allergies. The Dr. told me I was very allergic to something and asked me to guess what it was. Yep! Eggs. Also dairy and almonds.

Took a couple of weeks to get eveything cleared out of my system. Only then did I begin to feel better. I suspect I was allergic to at least the eggs and dairy all of my life. As a child, my stomach was sick more often than it wasn't. I had constantly itchy nose and eyes. I took allergy pills and they didn't help.

Now I am much better! I am careful not to eat anything that might contain my allergens. I should add that mine are IgG allergies and not IgE.

I was wondering where you got IgG testing done at? Did you have to go to a naturopath? I have had Rast testing done and of course negative for everything. But I am really wondering if I have problems with eggs,soy and dairy. I think I will get tested.I live in Washington as well about 45 minutes from Bothell.

katie may Newbie
Hi, I've been off gluten for almost a year now and feeling good. I don't have to many options for a good breakfast so I usually just stick with bacon and eggs, but some days I get really bad cramps afterwards. I'm sure its the eggs but I don't know why they would bother me. Does anyone else feel like this after eating eggs and does anyone know why?

Oreilly,

Eggs are tricky boogers. I was eating them for breakfast this summer quite regularly with no problem until one day I got terrible cramps and burning, like acid reflux. I never have this problem with any of my many other allergies & sensitivities so I was confused. I did eventually give them up when I made the connection and all was well. I've been risky to try them again lately and have found that I can not eat more than one at a time, and shouldn't eat more than one day after the other. I haven't tried the every other day thing, but once in a while, like maybe once a week, it seems alright just to eat an egg. I suggest not eating them with much fat or oil because grease is hard for a compromised intestine to process. Mix that with the complicated egg and there's disaster. Best wishes!

jesseisrael Newbie

Ever since eliminating gluten form my diet 16 months ago, I am noticing other intolerances that at times can be as debilitating as gluten was. First reaction was to soy, always had a reaction to casein and now eggs and nuts, seeds make me very sick. I am right now trying egg free in hopes of clearing up the latest gastro issues. I keep wondering if it ever stops. At thsi point I am unsure.

mamies8 Newbie

Good to know that I'm not the only one with these issues! I've been gluten free now for almost two years and doing soooo much better BUT...I think I'm developing other intolerances. Had eggs this morning for breakfast and several hours later had massive D. For the last several months I've noticed that eggs will upset my stomache a little bit after I eat them but after staying away from them for a couple of weeks or so, I would be silly and eat them again thinking it would be okay. Well, I'm done with being silly. Why eat something you know is gonna mess your gut up? I think having baked items with eggs in them is okay for me but no more straight up eggs! :(

RollingAlong Explorer

Does anyone notice that eggs affect their mood?

• 4 weeks later...
woodnewt Rookie

Yes, eggs bother me. My whole gut gets very sick after I eat eggs. I've been tested and I am not allergic to them.

Anyone know if chickens fed gluten in the feed transfers the gliadin proteins to the eggs? The eggs I used to buy were from a very small farm, but the farmer did feed them some whole wheat bread.

Reason I ask, I was told: nope, no gluten in milk. But I get very sick from milk, I am not lactose intolerant, and have no IgG allergy to dairy or caesin. The milk I was buying, also from a small farm, animals were fed with some barley and oats. Wish I'd found this article sooner: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9867098

nmlove Contributor
Does anyone notice that eggs affect their mood?

Yes! I've been making a lot of diet connections lately. I'm not gluten-free (my boys are) but I've been free of other foods because my breastfed daughter. Through that, I found that dairy really bothered me and I had no idea that was causing all those problems! But the most recent discovery is eggs. I've never liked eggs much but obviously I'd eat them in baked goods or what not. Pretty quick I get stomach cramps that last that day and bad gas the next. BUT, I also start to feel blah and end up with a migraine. So with those feelings I'm usually more snippy and just want to be off myself. My poor kids and husband!

Crayons574 Contributor

I cannot tolerate eggs, either. They upset my stomach. I have no problems with chicken or any other meats though.

• 8 years later...
Debbyk Newbie

I have IBSC and within past year a lot of bloating and was put on a fodmap diet which is parcel gluten free. I started noticing that eggs would upset my stomach and intestines(IBS) and an hour or so have a unexpected BM. Which makes me feel better but still nauses. Wondering why all of a sudden I can't tolerate eggs?? Sometimes I can eat hardboiled and feel fine. I also wonder if its the bacteria on outside of shell? I've heard you should wash them before cracking. I can only imagine how nasty dirty they are! I have tried grade A, cagefree, and brown eggs and makes little difference. I'm guessing I tolerate hard boiled eggs best because the bacteria is boiled off in cooking process. So for those who also have intolerance, try washing your eggs before cracking or boil them.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, Debbyk said:

I have IBSC and within past year a lot of bloating and was put on a fodmap diet which is parcel gluten free. I started noticing that eggs would upset my stomach and intestines(IBS) and an hour or so have a unexpected BM. Which makes me feel better but still nauses. Wondering why all of a sudden I can't tolerate eggs?? Sometimes I can eat hardboiled and feel fine. I also wonder if its the bacteria on outside of shell? I've heard you should wash them before cracking. I can only imagine how nasty dirty they are! I have tried grade A, cagefree, and brown eggs and makes little difference. I'm guessing I tolerate hard boiled eggs best because the bacteria is boiled off in cooking process. So for those who also have intolerance, try washing your eggs before cracking or boil them.

Actually the cooking of eggs changes the profile a bit, by example raw egg whites are a histamine liberator while cooked not so much. Many people I know can not have plain or soft cooked eggs, but in baked goods are fine. I myself can not tolerate the fats in the yolk in plain meals...but no issues in baked goods. Egg whites are no issues for me even raw, but I use the pasturized cartoned ones. Everyone is different.

Archived