12 replies to this topic

#1 minniejack

minniejack

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:53 AM

Has anyone tried the Applegate Farms chicken nuggets yet? Any thoughts?

I have to order a case (I'm waiting until next month when they will be on sale, but the price is still about $50 for a case of 12) and I don't want to eat something disgusting for the next several months.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

Has anyone tried the Applegate Farms chicken nuggets yet? Any thoughts?

I have to order a case (I'm waiting until next month when they will be on sale, but the price is still about $50 for a case of 12) and I don't want to eat something disgusting for the next several months.

We've had them. Here is the review from this house:
My son (not Celiac) LOVED them. Prefers them to Bell & Evans.
My daughter (Celiac) thought they were OK but prefers Bell & Evans.
I thought they were good. I thought the outside coating was very good/tasty - better than the B&E. However, they are a processed/ground chicken (know what I mean?) on the inside and I do prefer the non-ground-up chicken like the B&E has.

. . . and as a reference point, all of us hated the Ian's chicken nuggets.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

My husband and I both loved them. We both did not like Ians. I liked the dinosaur shaped ones by someone who's name I don't remember. My husband preferred the Applegate farms to all other brands. If we can find them we will be buying more Applegate Farms chicken nuggets. For some reason our store took the sign down when the last package was bought.

Michelle

#4 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

thanks--I think I will order them. I haven't tried any of the others just based on what every one says.

We are a very picky family of four and all of have to be gluten-free. I make my own, but you know sometimes you just crave something that is fastfood restaurant style. :lol:

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

. . . and on a side note . . . that's a decent price per box. I believe I paid $5.99 for a box at Krogers.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

. . . and on a side note . . . that's a decent price per box. I believe I paid $5.99 for a box at Krogers.

thank you--that's good to know--my Kroger only has the wheat version.

#7 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

I dont think I have ever seen these. I did not like Ians at all...such bad texture. Love B&E.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#8 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

Side note: While researching these nuggets, I entered Applegate Farms lunch box contest and won. Today, I opened the door and there was this box from Applegate Farms. I'm thinking, were they on this forum and sent me a sample?? :lol:

Well, I opened the box and there was my prize and a handwritten note referring to my little memory to win the prize. Can you believe that? In the mass marketing of today? A handwritten note. That really makes my day. I'm definitely putting in an order for these nuggets. :)

#9 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Found a box of the gluten-free nuggets at Kroger today--my buddy in that dept. claims they've always had them--maybe someone keeps buying them before I get there, but they've never been there and I'm there about 3x a week.

Anyhowwww....these are delish!! I ripped open the box as soon as I got home and had one for breakfast just to taste. Really good and my son who always ordered the nuggets at fast food restaurants will be in heaven when he gets home.

On someone's blog, the husband said it tasted like chicken pot pie on the 1st bite and he's right.

Definitely do not taste gluten free.

#10 Heidi S.

Heidi S.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

I have not seen the Applegate farms Gluten-free nuggets. The B&E are my favorite. Ian's is terrible!!!!! I couldn't even hide them in dressing. Ian's fish sticks are bad too! If you are looking for affordable have you tried the Angel Food Ministry's allergy free box of chicken nuggets or strips. They are the cheapest I have found. Was thinking about ordering them for October. $25 for several pounds of breaded items but not sure how they taste:) They are a hand-up not a handout and anyone is welcome.

Angel

#11 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

I have not seen the Applegate farms Gluten-free nuggets. The B&E are my favorite. Ian's is terrible!!!!! I couldn't even hide them in dressing. Ian's fish sticks are bad too! If you are looking for affordable have you tried the Angel Food Ministry's allergy free box of chicken nuggets or strips. They are the cheapest I have found. Was thinking about ordering them for October. $25 for several pounds of breaded items but not sure how they taste:) They are a hand-up not a handout and anyone is welcome.

Angel

I saw that on the other post. Are you ordering? Please let us know how everything tastes.

#12 Nicole H.

Nicole H.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

I just tried the applegate farm chicken nuggets and they tasted so good I was afraid that they put the regular ones in my gluten free box by accident!

#13 GFLisa

GFLisa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

I haven't seen these Applegate Farm ones anywhere! I am fortunate to have several grocery stores near me with gluten-free items so I'm going to have to pay better attention. Everyone in my house really likes the other Applegate Farms foods we've tried.

I used to buy the Wellshire Kids dinosaur ones for my kids, but both Earth Fare and Whole Foods stopped selling them. I haven't seen them anywhere else so we've gone back to Bell & Evans, which I prefer, but are pricier. My kids loved having dino nuggets though, just like their friends. They don't care for the Ian's (and neither do I), but they'll work in a pinch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: