11 replies to this topic

#1 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

This year for social studies my son's class switches with the other fourth grade class which means he has a different teacher. This woman has been teaching for 30 years and is set in her ways. She is not flexible in any way. One of the projects she has my son's class working on is a cookie in the shape of our state. The kids make the cookies then use decorations to designate landmarks. Sure, it's a fun project, but when you have a child with severe food restrictions in your class you have to be flexible! My son has an IHP (Individualized Health Plan- like a 504 Plan) and one of the accomodations is for teachers to let me know in advance of projects that require food so I can get an alternate for my son. This teacher did not do this! I only found out about the project because my son told me! Now I have to scramble to find sugar cookie dough, specific icing and decorations that will match the rest of the class. We live in a small town and that means I must travel 90 minutes round trip to go to a store that sells gluten free sugar cookie dough. When I confronted this teacher about all of this she still didn't get it! She said she would provide all the icing and decorations but when I explained to her that they must be gluten free and not come in contact with the other student's gluten filled cookies she acted like I was overreacting! I am outraged. I am so upset I might go to our principal (I teach in this school too). She is not following the IHP which, by law, she must follow.

Okay, deep breath, end of vent. :angry:
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

i would be angry too! you have every right to confront her (and the principal since it looks like that will be necessary). make sure she knows the severity of it! surely she doesnt want him to feel left out

#3 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

Oh I would be fuming!!!! That must make it more difficult that you actually work in that school. I hope you get something worked out, that is really awful. I swear I sprout 100 new gray hairs each new school year, it is so stressful having to start over with someone new, and just praying that they undestand!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#4 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm so sorry. You should go to the principle. She obviously is not taking the health of your son, the law, or her career seriously. Keep us updated! :)
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#5 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

As a fellow teacher, this makes me fume too!!!!!!!! You should confront her. She should have read your son's 504- it's the LEAST she could do.

It sounds like a fun project BUT with the amount of children out there with food allergies, it's time for a change.

PS My pet peeve is teachers who have been doing the same thing the same way forever. GRRR!!!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#6 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Go for it. Talk to everyone you can about this, it will help pave the way for other celiac children. I am so proud of you for taking a stand.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#7 CeliacAlli

CeliacAlli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

That is tough. I've never been there as the teacher but Ive been there as the student and it stinks. I really really do not understand how they can just ignore it when we have a 504 plan in place. My mom is a teacher and always reads it if a child has one. It becomes very frusterating and is continuing to happen first with art projects then when I tried getting school lunch and now when teachers bring in snacks for homeroom. Its unbelievable. Sorry to hear this is happening to you too...

#8 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

I would be furious! What if you hadn't found out and he licked his fingers or ate a peice of cookie dough? I know you don't want to cause lasting hard feelings in your work place but it's time for this teacher to learn something herself.
Dx Celiacs March '09

#9 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:25 AM

Put your foot down.
This teacher must either change to accomodate the students' needs
or retire as she's a danger to her charges.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#10 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

And they wonder why even kids are joining the obesity epidemic and getting non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and type 2 diabetes and ever younger ages. Schools shouldn't be fostering an environment where kids are getting sweets all the time. They could easily do this project with clay.

#11 River Faerie

River Faerie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

This is a really tough situation. I am also a teacher, but sadly received a pink slip this year... which may have been a blessing I suppose. My son, five years old, just started kindergarten, and was just diagnosed with Celiac although my Mama instinct told me so a while ago. I also was diagnosed last year after several years of struggle and pain, so at least I can understand what he is going through although my spirit weeps for him. I guess as a middle school teacher with over 180 kids a day, there were some things that slipped through the cracks from time to time, even though I consider myself a good teacher. It's just that you don't want your kid's need slipping through the cracks, which is completely understandable.

I have been volunteering in the kindergarten classroom the past few weeks, and it is so empowering for my son. I have had to explain about the play-doh table, why matching the ABC cookies to the chart is not for him, why Jakey needs to constantly wash his hands, etc... In other words, I am training him to be self reliant, and so far, it is working. I mean, we're only in week three. When we went to the park the other day, his friend offered him cookies, and he said, "No thanks. I can't have wheat, and those probably have wheat." He also asked me why I have gluten-free written on a few of our cutting boards, and I explained. He said, "Oh, we have special tummies that can't have gluten?"

When I read your post, I was bummed for the teacher, your son, and you. It must be hard to work with someone so inflexible. I thought it was great that your son alerted you to the project! Too bad he didn't give you a bit more time to get the supplies. (We also live 50 miles from the nearest Trader Joes/Lassens/etc.) Hang in there mom! It sounds like you are on the right track, and fighting for your son is the right thing to do. Maybe you can use some of your prep time to go in and help out or observe and make some simple suggestions to the principal or teacher... that's what I've had to do. They seem almost grateful though, because otherwise I don't think they would know what else to do. I have even talked to the lunch ladies to let them know what snacks (cheese, milk, and these fruit bar thingies) are the ONLY things he may have. They were very responsive. But, I know that my being there once a week helps. I can keep an eye on him, and help guide him through this. For now.

#12 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

He said, "Oh, we have special tummies that can't have gluten

Love how you have explained this problem to your ds!!! What an excellent mother.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: