This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

KAG Rookie

Ali,

Many times I wish I had been better informed when it comes to medical info, so I know what you mean! Doctors don't really involve patients in their medical treatment, and many actually get pissed off when you try to have a say in your own body. Image that!

My daughter was in pullups at night until she was probably 5 1/2. I read that bedwetting can be related to dairy allergies. I hope the switch to goats milk helps your grandsons. I was thinking about trying to get testing for me to see if I really have dairy allergies or intolerance or whatever. It might be worth your daughter seeing if she can get this type of testing done for her kids. I know that gluten is hard to digest and you would be better off without it, but it seems that it depends on what the problem is as to whether or not anyone would be able to eat dairy again, or is it just the lactose that bothers some. I mean, maybe strict avoidance would help and then you could add dairy back. I guess I'm just rambling. I miss dairy so much more than anything else. It's been a few days since I stopped all dairy including the goat yogurt and I hate to say that my constipation is gone and I can actually smell really good now! I hate to say that because I may never get my precious dairy again!!!!!!

It is such a shame though, that so many young kids are having these difficulties. I do have to say that my kids have always eaten a lot of fruit. It's hard to get the vegetables in but they will eat 2 or 3 servings of fruit a day, sometimes more. I started cutting up celery and carrots into small sticks and take them with me when we get in the car. Because I am eating them (and it's usually really hot, sorry!) my kids will eat them with me. I almost fell over the other week when my 8 year old son said "Can you cut me up some celery?"

I am actually north of Tampa and I go the health food store in Palm Harbor quite a bit. It's a small world, isn't it? That is kinda neat about how all the 3 girls looked so different. I just love the way genetics works. Do your relatives ever get to visit you? They've been gone for so long, you probably don't have much contact, do you? I have relatives in California (my mom's sister and husband) and I really have only seen them a few times in my life. My mom and dad want to drive out to California this summer for a visit and it will probably be a few days travel.

I lived in England one summer for about 7 weeks and that was about 8 years ago. I moved with my ex-husband to Kingston Upon Hull for his job. It was supposed to be a temporary thing (2 years). When we got there, my ex-husband started with drugs and drinking really bad. I left him and he just went nuts. I didn't get to see much but I really enjoyed it there. We went to London and to Avon. It's funny because I always think about going back and I always think that I want to go in the summer next time, but then I realize that I WAS there in June and July. It was also weird that it hardly seemed to get dark. The nights were so short! (Oh, I'm a single mom now, so I won't be traveling anytime soon!)

Anyway, I can understand about you not wanting to fly. It's a loooong flight. And so hard on you with the time change. My parents traveled a lot when I was growing up and we moved around a lot. I enjoyed it but now even though I want to travel, I find myself being a homebody. I really should get my kids out to see more though.

We do have health insurance here, but not everyone has a job that pays for health insurance, so there are MANY people who don't have health insurance and can't even afford to go to any doctor. That is very sad. There are people with really sick kids that end up loosing homes and jobs because they don't have insurance. The American economy is really suffering right now too. I think that the value of the dollar is going down. How are things going for you guys? Are gas prices going crazy over there too? They are really high now over here.

Oh, I think that the drug companies are the only ones making a fortune right now. (besides the oil companies) I don't think insurance companies are making a profit now at all.

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AliB Enthusiast

Fuel prices have always been high here compared with the States. We are now paying

KAG Rookie

Hey Ali,

It's me! I haven't forgotten about you. I just don't know where the time goes anymore. It's 1PM and I think that this is the first time I got to sit down all day. I went to the store yesterday and of course the only thing I went for I forgot. So I had to go back this morning to get the eggs so we could color eggs for Easter. And I can't believe that Easter is here already too!

I'm feeling much better without dairy. My sneezing has stopped too. I thought there was something in the air but I guess it was just me. Sometimes at night my lungs would feel a little heavy and even that has stopped too. But I just want my dairy back. I am glad that you are doing ok with it though. Sometimes I get really tired but I think that's because my body is healing. I finally feel like I am going to be well again. And that's a great feeling. With two kids I just need to find the time to relax. Spring break is coming up in a few weeks and I think that my only goal will be to work on my tan.

WOW, I can't believe gas is that much over there. I think we are around $3.20 now a gallan. People over here have a lot of gas guzzling cars and trucks too. I hope that you don't have to drive much. I'm about 20 minutes from work so I only have to go through one tank of gas a week, thank goodness.

Well, my break is over, now time for the wash. Have a wonderful Easter tomorrow and I hope that you get to spend it with your grandkids. (And I hope I didn't offend you if you don't celebrate Easter.)

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Kim.

Sounds like me that you are, and probably have been intolerant of dairy for years. I have always had loads of catarrgh and mucous, not so much sneezing, but just always bunged up.

That is a lot better since I stopped the dairy. I seem to be ok with the goats yogurt and I had a little cottage cheese today. Interestingly, although my husband, who is still drinking the dairy, caught a cold off our grandkids this week, I haven't got it. I do wonder if the dairy also made my immune system weak. I really didn't relish another cold - I did go down with one just after I started gluten-free, when my system was still weak, so I really could do without another one just now! I get very tired too a lot of the time, but that's no different to how I have always been. I suspect, like you that it has a lot now though to do with my body starting to recover.

We get penalised so heavy with taxes over here if we have gas-guzzlers. Being a small island we can't afford to have too much pollution and the government has to be seen to be doing its bit for the environment. I would be delighted if we didn't have to use cars. Usually we manage to eke out a tankful over two or three weeks but we did over 400 miles round trip over the weekend which swallowed up virtually all our tankful in one fell swoop! We have a new Citroen diesel which is a fair bit more economical than the last car which was petrol, thank goodness.

We saw our grandkids on Monday and Tuesday as we were down that way but won't see them again for another 2 weeks until their half-term vacation when they come up to visit. They live 150 miles away but our daughter is selling her house and hoping to move up here with us so we will see a lot more of them.

We observe the Memorial of Christ's death which we have done this evening on Nisan 14, but avoid the 'pagan' aspect of 'Easter'. Thanks for asking though.

KAG Rookie

Hi Ali!

I had a booster meeting with my daughter's school last night and my son's soccer team started practice for spring, so I was out at the soccer field tonight. I can tell my body is really starting to heal because normally I would be exhausted for the week already. I even had enough energy to cook dinner Monday and Tuesday. I didn't get that nasty flu thing that has been going around lately. And it's been really really bad. People have been out sick for a whole week and feeling ill for more than two weeks. I teach school so I'm around the nasty cold mess all the time. I know I've said this before, but it really is wonderful to be able to smell again too! I'm just past five months on SCD and my energy is so much better now. I know that just before 3 months I started feeling ill for a few days but I've heard that a lot of people seem to have slight relapse around 3 months. Saturday night I had a slip though (I had a glass of wine and didn't care) and ate a whole bowlful of potato chips. I had a bad stomach ache and was soooo bloated. I went to bed at 8PM and didn't get up til 8AM the next morning. I felt better but now I know that my body doesn't tolerate that stuff anymore. The only other time I messed up was at Christmas and I think that was with mashed potatoes. I guess I really love potatoes! I think that your energy will start to improve after a little while. I just have to keep reminding myself that it took a long time for my body to deteriorate and it will take awhile for it to heal. This burst of energy I'm having so far this week is very welcome. I always used to wonder if eating gluten free was right or not. I knew my body didn't tolerate gluten, but it just wasn't enough. I cannot be more sure of going SCD.

I hope your daughter sells her house soon. It's wonderful for my kids to have their grandparents around. I'm sure that your grandkids miss you.

I did just learn about Skype about a month ago. Have you ever heard of it? You can download the software free and make free video calls between people that register. I have a new laptop with a video camera but I think you can get one for pretty cheap. That would be wonderful for you to talk to your grandkids all the time.

Talk to you later.

Kim

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Kim.

Unfortunately my daughter doesn't have an internet connection, but we talk on the phone every day. We have a phone service where I pay a fixed rate and we can talk for as long as we like for 'free' which is great and are often on the phone for an hour or more at a time. The boys tell me what they have been up to - in quite graphic detail at times, especially where it involves being glutened and the end results!!!

I know what you mean by starting to heal. I have only been doing SCD for 3 weeks and although I have not always been as strict with it as I perhaps ought to be, I am now able to tolerate foods that I couldn't a few weeks ago. Today I have had energy and some motivation and even jogged down the road this morning to get the paper! I can't remember the last time I had the energy to do that!

My husband caught a cold off the kids last week and has been pretty rough with it but it seems to have bypassed me which suggests that maybe my immune system is starting to heal, too. I shan't count my chickens yet, as 2 weeks after I went gluten-free and the last time I was starting to get some energy, the very next day I went down with a virus, but you never know. Watch this space!!!

This really kind of proves to me that the problem, not just for me, but for a lot of people is really carbs, not just gluten. On the TV local news this evening they interviewed a hospital director who said that they are going to withdraw most sweets from their vending machines and replace them with healthy foods. That is very admirable, but he said that people need to reduce salt, fat and sugar, and I am shouting at the TV - AND CARBS MORE THAN ANYTHING!!!!!

Why are carbs, particularly refined and processed and flour-based carbs not considered bad too??? Most fats (except trans-fats) are actually much lesser the evil than carbs! The 'experts' have jumped on the 'fat-free', 'low-fat' bandwagon and they are not the problem, carbs are! Low-fat stuff is usually packed with sugar which is equally as bad as carbs and makes a mockery of 'diet' foods! They are just completely blind to the real cause of the problems and are missing the point completely!

Meanwhile people are getting fatter and fatter and sicker and sicker...............

KAG Rookie

Ali, I'm back!

My son has been really sick He's got the head cold thing and he is dripping and dripping and coughing and NOT SLEEPING! I'm exhausted. I do have to say that even though I have been continually coughed and sneezed on and I did not get sick. (I hope you didn't either!) I wonder if my immune system is working better on this diet? It must be. The sickness is still bad over here. And when people get it, they are bad for weeks. I really do feel like I'm healing. (I keep saying that, don't I?) Last year I was out with the flu for a whole week around this time of year.

You are right about people getting sicker and sicker. There is this teacher that I work with that must be almost 400 pounds. He is pretty tall but he looks round. He is on so many medications. He has back problems, heart problems, blood pressure problems and yet he sees no connection to his diet. He eats donuts and packaged twinkie-like stuff and will drink soda all day. His doctor doesn't tell him about diet so he doesn't think it is important. He is hurting so bad and it's hard to just watch him put those chemicals in his body. I think there are a lot more obese people in the United States than any where else in the world. When we were in the UK about 8 years ago, I didn't see nearly as many obese people as there are here. Just walk into any Walmart in the US and they are all over the place. It's sad to know that there are so many people more interested in making money than helping others be healthy.

It's hard for me to watch advertising about low fat foods and fake foods and wonder how people can believe this stuff. It even makes me cringe when Rachael Ray (TV cooking show) says things like "it's healthier with low fat and low sodium". And sugar free foods are the worse! If it's not sugar, then what chemical is it that's making it sweet?

I'm sure that over time people will eventually see that it's the processed carbs that are making everyone sick. You really do have to spend time in the kitchen cooking in order to be healthy. It just takes up so much time.

Hope all is well with you. I gotta run. I should have more time later.

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Kim.

Sorry your son has been so poorly. Good job you didn't catch it though! Funnily enough, when we saw the weenies 2 weeks ago they both had colds and although my husband caught it, I didn't, so I too am wondering if, like you, my immune system is getting stronger.

How are you feeling generally? Are you still coping with the diet OK? I have noticed over the last week that I am no longer getting the backache that accompanied nearly every meal. I seem to be able to tolerate more foods now and have actually eaten some eggs this week, which I couldn't cope with a few weeks ago.

I was a bit worried last week as although my stools had finally settled down, I was putting on weight - around 1lb a day and gained about 4lbs which was the last thing I wanted, but it has gone down again by 2lb so it might have been some water retention. I was really hoping that going low-carb would kick-start the weight loss but it hasn't happened yet. Whether my body is now regaining muscle I haven't a clue, but that might explain why I don't appear to be losing anything.

To get down to my goal weight I need to lose around 50lbs or more. I am not very good at letting the day go and getting to bed early and as that can influence weight loss, I probably am not helping myself very much.

You're so right about people getting sick and gluten and carbs likely being to blame - I keep seeing articles in the paper about these sick people and I want to shout - STOP EATING THE GARBAGE AND YOU WILL BE WELL! There was a lady in the paper just today who has Crohn's disease and has had to have a colostomy bag fitted - if only she knew about SCD. Another one a few days ago about a little 3 year-old with juvenile arthritis - if only his parents knew about Celiac and its links to arthritis! Arrrgh! Makes you want to scream, doesn't it.

Chat more later. Ali.

pele Rookie

Thank you to everyone who posts here. I am learning so much.

I, too, am embarking on the SCD because after one year on a gluten-free diet, I still have problems. The gluten-free diet was a miracle for me. Instant relief from years of digestive issues, insomnia, joint pain, restless leg syndrome and so on. However, my Vit D level is still low, and my gut issues keep resurfacing despite probiotics, antibiotics, enzymes and vitamins. And I am a sugar junkie.

I have had the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle sitting around for a year and finally sat down to read it. I do think she is on to something with the cycle of undigested sugars feeding bad bacteria which in turn keep the gut from healing. It makes sense to me that damage could start with gluten, but need more than gluten-free to heal the gut.

I have some questions.

Some of you know one heck of a lot more about SCD than I do, and I hope you will read and reply.

On the website, there is a major rant about soy that seems to have nothing to do with the principles of the diet. So, why, I wonder, is organic wheat-free tamari illegal?

Why are bean sprouts illegal? I can see it if the beans contain the wrong starches (mung, pinto) but what about lentil sprouts?

How damaging is trace sugar? Most of us know the pitfalls of a few crumbs of wheat, but how bad is a tiny amount of sugar? Like less than a tsp in hot sauce or vanilla flavoring?

People talk about detox or die off. When and how does this happen and what does it feel like?

How do you know when you are healed and it's safe to eat other stuff again?

Thanks again for everyone's support. My husband wants to know if he can open the freezer and eat all of the gluten-free but SCD illegal cookies.

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Pele.

Welcome to the thread. Like you I find it a little annoying sometimes that Elaine G has stated that a certain food is 'illegal' but doesn't say why. I like to know 'why'!

This a little bit posted by another user on here on Soy - "NO CELIACS CAN HAVE SOY. It contains prolamine which your liver will think is gluten because it's extremely similar. You may have heard you can't have CASEIN (a protein in cow's milk) and that is for the same reason - there is prolamine in it and that is probably because the cows are fed soy. Manufacturers will soon be required to remove "gluten free" from the label if the product contains soy! Please, please, from a celiac, take me seriously and remove soy from your diet. Soy LECITHIN is ok, that's just an emulsifier."

That may explain why quite a lot are also intolerant of soy. Ursula (Ursa Major), if you PM her will give you a much more detailed run down on Soy and why it is bad for us - I suspect that part of the problem is that, like wheat, it has been molecularly meddled with and is now not a 'good' food.

Not sure about sprouted grains - the only reference I can find is about SG breads like Ezekiel. I have had some sprouted grains but Elaine G does state that it depends on how long the grains have been sprouted for as to whether they have used up the starch or not and how would you know? Maybe that's why. But then most vegetables have some starch in them anyway. you will probably have to decide that one yourself.

A trace of sugar probably isn't a problem - it depends on how many traces you have! Obviously the less sugar, the quicker the healing and also control of yeast overgrowth if that is a problem.

If the foods that feed the yeasts are removed die-off can happen fairly quickly. It can tend to release a batch of toxins into the bloodstream which can make you feel a bit rough for a few days, and you may notice some of it expel with your stools. Things like garlic, caprylic acid, pau d'arco can help too.

The healing process can take anything from a few weeks to a year or more depending on the severity and length of your health problems. I think because it is different for us all, that we have to go with how we feel. I would say though that it would be wise not to ever go back to eating the way you did before. so many of us just can't cope with the high-carb, high-sugar diet that is commonly followed in our Western Hemisphere. I know that I am going to have to relegate carbs and sugar to an occasional treat rather than an all-day every-day consumption.

At least you have a stock of cookies to keep your husband happy! I made some for mine, but I keep wanting to eat them myself!

pele Rookie

Hi Ali

I'm so glad you read my post and gave me some great answers. The word "annoying" caught my eye because I wonder how much of the SCD is based on science and how much is religion.

Being on this diet at about 98% (I'm still eating mung bean sprouts and turkey bacon) for 3 days has given me new insight into the human diet. Without any grains or sugars, I feel like I am eating a "human" diet, although not one which would promote peace and prosperity on a grander scale.

Does anyone out there ever think about what would happen to the world economy and future of the human race if everyone quit eating grain?

AliB Enthusiast
Hi Ali

I'm so glad you read my post and gave me some great answers. The word "annoying" caught my eye because I wonder how much of the SCD is based on science and how much is religion.

Being on this diet at about 98% (I'm still eating mung bean sprouts and turkey bacon) for 3 days has given me new insight into the human diet. Without any grains or sugars, I feel like I am eating a "human" diet, although not one which would promote peace and prosperity on a grander scale.

Does anyone out there ever think about what would happen to the world economy and future of the human race if everyone quit eating grain?

It would undoubtedly collapse - but it's doing a good job of achieving that anyway!

I just can't help but look at those communities that don't eat much, if any, grains (or sugar). Generally they are all fit and relatively healthy compared to those that do!

We had a TV program here where 2 doctors (twins) went to visit different communities around the World and investigated their life and diet. One community was on the Eastern Seaboard of Siberia. It's always cold and the ground is too hard to grow anything. They live basically on Fish, Whale and Walrus meat, with just a little supplementation from a small grocery store. Nothing much in the way of fresh veg or fruit to speak of. The men who were the hunters for the village all burned around 4,500 calories a day and they had very low cholesterol.

One of the doctors adopted their diet for 2 weeks and his cholesterol went down from what we would consider normal to quite low, too. There was one of the hunters - the 'boss', whose cholesterol was considerably higher than the rest. The doctors found out why when they went to his home for a meal - his wife liked to bake and the table was laden with loads of stodge - bread, cakes, cookies etc and the man liked to eat tinned American Hot Dogs. Not surprising his cholesterol was way higher than everyone else's!

A lot of grains and particularly wheat have been so genetically mucked and meddled about with that they no longer resemble the original healthy 'God-made' product. They have gone from being simple and easy to digest to complex and difficult which is a major factor behind the copious health problems! Mankind seems hell-bent on destroying itself one way or another!

pele Rookie

Interesting about the cholesterol in the folks in Siberia. I wish my husband, who had low cholesteol to begin with, would quit the Lipitor.

Yes, the economy would collapse without grain. Grain storage is essential to maintain a large, socially stratified society. The powers that be have much at stake and keeping the huddled masses consuming cheap stored grains is in their best interests.

It occurs to me that many poor people are gluten intolerant and cannot afford to eat gluten-free, let alone SCD.

I finally read through all 5 pages of this thread. I'm still learning my way around the forum. It sounds like we all have a lot in common. I, too, have been known to stick my feet out from under the covers.

Day 4 of 98% SCD. I do feel better. Don't feel inflamed in the gut. The two biggies that I am not eting are rice and cane suger, oh, and chocolate. I suspect I should stay away from at least one of those.

And BTW what about chocolate? Is unsweetened chocolate really bad, or does EG just assume we are all too stupid to know the difference between chocolate with zero additives and M & Ms?

AliB Enthusiast
And BTW what about chocolate? Is unsweetened chocolate really bad, or does EG just assume we are all too stupid to know the difference between chocolate with zero additives and M & Ms?

Don't know about chocolate. She doesn't seem to be very clear on why it is bad, just that Dr Haas said so! I'm afraid I cheat on that one - I have a square or two of very dark plain choc most evenings (Slap! Ow!). I found some 81% and figured that because it has so much cocoa solids it must have a lot less sugar! I'm probably not helping myself, but it's the deprivation thing getting at me.

Of course, in order to really do it properly - to get rid of the yeast I really ought not to be eating any fruit, chocolate, sugar in any form, even honey, at all. Sigh. Shouldn't have made those blueberry pancakes with ground almonds and honey. Doh!

I just wish I could find something snacky that isn't bad for me. Sitting in front of the TV is the worst time, of an evening. I try not to do that too much. I'm better off on the computer keeping my hands busy on this forum!

We have just hit the beginning of Spring - I am looking forward to the warmer weather and the return of the desire to eat salads (just can't face them when its cold!). I was hoping after dropping the gluten and dairy and the carbs that go with them the weight would have started to shift by now but it seems to be creeping up rather than down. I really need to be a lot more disciplined than I am.

pele Rookie

Boy I have been craving a bit of chocolate. There is a great company out of Ashland. Oregon called Dagoba that makes organic chocolate bars in a gluten-free facility. Of course there is an open bar in the cupboard.

I usually have the munchies all day every day, a result of malnutrition perhaps. So now I am trying to figure out what to eat in between meals, bananas, dried fruit, cheese slices so far. I also made some coconut macaroons with egg whilte and honey that aren't bad. I keep hearing about fried cheese but haven't tried it yet. I am used to grabbing a handful of potato chips or a gluten-free homemade cookie anytime I want.

Reading BTVC, she says eat as much as you want, then in other places, cautions against eating too much of certain things. Sometimes I wonder if she is really clear on the diet or if her primary goal is blind devotion from her followers.

The writing style reminds a bit of Adlele Davis (Eat Right to Keep Fit) Remember her? She promoted adding milk powder to everything, including homemade whole wheat bread.

loraleena Contributor

Just jumping in to give some info on chocolate. A friend of mine made organic raw dark chocolate. She mixed raw organic coconut oil, raw agave nectar and raw cocoa powder. She then put it in a muffin paper and put it in the freezer. You have to freeze it because of the oil. It was yummy!

pele Rookie

Is 24 hour yogurt fermenting a lot of hooey? According to a rep at the Springfield Creamery, makers of Nancy's yogurt, yes. They have researched the idea that yogurt must be cultured for 24 hours to remove all of the lacose and say there is no basis for this claim. They believe it is incorrect.

According to their research, and these people are yogurt experts, milk sugar lactose is gradually replaced by the enzyme lactase during the fermenting process. They quit at the optimal point, before beneficial bacteria, which live on the lactose and covert it to lactase, begin to die. That way, we, the consumers, get optimal billions of bacteria and optimal amounts of lactase (not lactose).

So I won't be investing in a yogurt maker anytime soon.

pele Rookie
Just jumping in to give some info on chocolate. A friend of mine made organic raw dark chocolate. She mixed raw organic coconut oil, raw agave nectar and raw cocoa powder. She then put it in a muffin paper and put it in the freezer. You have to freeze it because of the oil. It was yummy!

How did she make the organic raw dark chocolate??

pele Rookie

While researching the web to find out more about SCD I found the following about the benefits of using enteric coated peppermint oil to kill small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. So why the torture of SCD? If anyone has or knows of evidence that SCD really works, let us know! In the meantime, I really do feel better not eating all the carbs.

Open Original Shared Link

AliB Enthusiast

The trouble with bacteria is that it grows. The more we eat foods that feed it, the more it grows so although some of these Candida remedies might work initially, if we keep eating loads of sugar and carbs it will all come back again. It is a normal part of gut flora, it only gets out of control when we allow it to by overfeeding both it and ourselves with the wrong kind of food.

I have to admit that I have also been making a hot chocolate with cocoa powder, honey or some instant choc powder and coconut milk (I really miss my hot chocs - I can't drink either tea or coffee so the choc is my only indulgence in the drink line - other than that I drink water!). It's one way of getting my choc fix without having dairy.

I know I am better without the carbs but I am struggling at the moment. I think if I was losing weight, I would feel that it was really worth the effort, but I seem to be putting it on instead which is rather disappointing. I have had a few carbs that I shouldn't, but without those I am hardly eating any carbs at all yet am still not losing anything. I can't figure out what is going on and why the weight won't move.

pele Rookie

Ali-

Sorry about the weight problem. My weight is normally pretty good. I started gaining this winter after years of not. As soon as I started the SCD the weight gain stopped, probably because I am not looking for a gluten-free cookie every 5 minutes.

I've been at this for a whole 10-11 days and today for the first time in 11 days, I had a bit a digestive distress- painful gas and almost D, with little odor. Is that die-off? My guts are grumbling away as I write this. I have also noticed that my-ahem-bodily secretions have less odor and my tongue feels less coated.

I am planning on sticking with this for as long as I can stand it. Despite my feelings that strict adherence is too cult-like, I feel better than before I started.

Gotta go now, time to rinse those mung beans.

AliB Enthusiast
Ali-

Sorry about the weight problem. My weight is normally pretty good. I started gaining this winter after years of not. As soon as I started the SCD the weight gain stopped, probably because I am not looking for a gluten-free cookie every 5 minutes.

I've been at this for a whole 10-11 days and today for the first time in 11 days, I had a bit a digestive distress- painful gas and almost D, with little odor. Is that die-off? My guts are grumbling away as I write this. I have also noticed that my-ahem-bodily secretions have less odor and my tongue feels less coated.

I am planning on sticking with this for as long as I can stand it. Despite my feelings that strict adherence is too cult-like, I feel better than before I started.

Gotta go now, time to rinse those mung beans.

What's cult-like? Not eating like all the other 'mugs' who are all consuming copious quantities of gluten-based and sugar loaded carbs in general and dairy and soy and...and...and.

I keep thinking that if I lived somewhere they had never heard of a brownie or a bagel or any of this stuff, my diet would ordinarily be one that we would consider 'cult-like'!

To be able to live somewhere where they eat a simple wholesome diet and don't suffer the illness and disease that we do, would actually be bliss, as the stuff that we find so hard to resist would not be available! Who is better off, I ask myself, them or us?

I have been such a pig today. I was so tired (from not going to bed early enough, then being woken up by the grandsons at 7am!) I just plonked in front of the TV this afternoon and was chomping away on nut and seed cookies, nuts and raisins, dark chocolate, whatever I could get my hands on! I daren't check my blood sugar before I go to bed. I really am not doing very well at the moment.

Well done you for sticking to it. The boys go back Wednesday, I will have to try and get it together when they've gone!

Your gut upset could be a touch of herxheimer. This is the worst time I reckon. The little beggars start making us crave the sugar and carbs in an attempt to stay alive! Hopefully, if you can hang on in there it will pass within a few days!

pele Rookie

[To be able to live somewhere where they eat a simple wholesome diet and don't suffer the illness and disease that we do, would actually be bliss, as the stuff that we find so hard to resist would not be available! Who is better off, I ask myself, them or us?]

Ah, yes, I have often said I want to go live on the gluten-free island. Since sarting this diet I am amazed at how most of us are eating awful processed chemical food most of the time. I have never been so aware of the wholesomeness of food that has two or fewer ingredients listed on the label.

Forgive me if I offended with the cultlike remark. What I mean is the tone of the book. The words illegal, forbidden, strictest adherence, and so on make me think I'm not supposed to have a brain.

Once again, chocolate sounds really good, so I'll eat some cheese. Thanks for your support. I know you will get back on track.

AliB Enthusiast

No offense! I know what you mean by the language of the book, it can be a little off-putting.

But I have seen quite a lot of comments about SCD and I just get so cross when I see others who kick at the goads of the diet. They are so indoctrinated and addicted to carbs that the word 'restriction' becomes a swear word and the thought of having to do without, possibly for life (how long will I have to be on this diet? And all that) just sends them into paroxysms of panic!

I even saw one comment where a doctor told someone not to do it because it was too restrictive. Restrictive? My gut is dictating the restriction! My gut won't let me eat the rubbish. My blood sugar and my weight escalates at the merest sniff of a carbohydrate, and dairy gets my lungs coughing themselves inside out (I licked a custard spoon last night and couldn't stop coughing for half an hour)!

Where's the damn restriction?

So many seem to think that they can just 'do' the diet for a few weeks, magically recover, then go straight back to eating exactly the way they were before! Sickness is a wake-up call. It's the body's way of telling us that it can't cope with the garbage any more. Some will embrace it and understand - others you couldn't get through to even with a sledgehammer!

Sorry. I'll get down off my soapbox now. I'm tired and it's late again and short of a sledgehammer to knock myself out with I just can't seem to get to bed early enough! Not surprising I'm struggling.........

pele Rookie

If that was a soapbox speech it was a great one. I am gaining a whole new outlook on what food really is because of this diet, and most of the stuff at the supermarket is not food.

I read somewhere, In The Gluten Connection maybe, that the human diet has undergone two huge transformations in the past 2 million years or so. The first was around 10000 years ago with the development of agriculture and grain storage. Before that everyone ate whatever they could kill or pick. With the advent of grain came gluten sensitivity, because human evolution hasn't had time to adjust to the change. Then in the last century, processed foods were introduced. This is an even bigger change, and may be responsible for the onslaught of autoimmune diseases, allergies, autism, etc. that are rapidly increasing.

It no longer makes sense to me to eat a box full of chemicals instead of food.

Thanks, Ali, for keeping this conversation going. Anyone else doing this diet?

Archived