#1786 Bee-Jr

Bee-Jr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

Good morning,

It is certainly comforting to come to this thread and find all this good information and encouraging advice. I appreciate it so much.

I think I am still being too ambitious about adding foods, and am having a hard time making myself slow down. I do now have the yogurt right, and seem to be doing well with it, but I ate kidney beans yesterday, and OMG. I have to leave the beans alone for a while. Really, Jane. Don't eat any beans for a while. Jeez, I frustrate myself.

This will probably be TMI, but you know, after a few days without all the gas and the unpleasantness that goes along with it, it's just about disgusting to have even a little bit of it. Turns my stomach. At first I thought I was going to be ok, but then about 6 p.m. yesterday, all of a sudden...I wasn't ok.

Also would like to know what you all think if I were to say that I believe candida may be my WHOLE problem. What if I'm not exactly gluten intolerant? What if I'm not allergic to peanuts? I thought I was allergic to nightshades, but within the confines of the SCD, I have been absolutely fine with tomato juice. What if my problems with potatoes have been just because of the starch? Peanuts because of mold? Monday afternoon, when my face started to itch so, it wasn't because I had eaten anything I have isolated as being the cause of an intolerance or allergy. It was just popcorn and chocolate, which has NOT made me itch ever before. So I'll bet that it was because I ate too many carbs in too short an expanse of time.

Every one of the things I've had problems with has been a sugar, a starch, or a known mold/fungus carrier.

The only thing it doesn't explain is the malabsorption issue. I don't have symptoms nearly so bad now, but before I started my diet last year, my skin looked like it belonged on a 65-year-old person. I'm 53. But I guess if candida can cause chronic diarrhea, it would indirectly cause malabsorption, wouldn't it?

Just thinking out loud, but I'll certainly value your opinions.

Janie

Edited to add: Also wanted to ask about something I read yesterday...and yeah, this is gross, too. But occasionally when I cough or have to clear my throat, I'll get these little white chunks of "stuff" out of there. The blurb I read yesterday said that this is candida-related, too. Anyone have any experience with this, or more information? I'm so sorry to be disgusting, but I trust you all a lot more than I trust some anonymous article I read on the Internet. Tks.
Lifelong digestive issues, premature aging, elevated liver enzymes/NAFLD, depression and ADD, metabolic syndrome accompanied by morbid obesity for nearly 10 years (highest weight was 295 in April, 2008). Serious malabsorption issues and systemic inflammation.

Began Anti-Inflammatory diet on 9-24-2008 (275 lbs)
Diet revealed gluten and lactose intolerance and multiple food allergies. Relieved much of the inflammation, but not all.

Began full SCD on 4-25-2009 (240 lbs.)
Positive "spit test" revealed candida overgrowth.

Began modified SCD and anti-fungals on 5-5-2009 (233 lbs.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1787 AliB

AliB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

I did the peanut butter thing at the beginning too - ooh, ooh, something yummy I can eat! I eventually had to back off all things 'nut' for a while as my body really couldn't cope with them, but I seem to be ok now.

I think i was fooling myself that because I was eating it with celery and apples it was ok but I think we have to be careful not to 'dive in' too quickly to everything that is legal. Better to just start with intro for a few days then gradually start to introduce other foods one or two at a time and see how we go.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#1788 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

I think it is possible for some people that candida is the main problem. However, I think there are so many factors contributing to health in the gut that usually it is more than one simple cause.

I'm experiencing BM changes on my current treatment of protozoan infection; too early to tell if it is going to be another jump forward in healing or just a side effect of the medication. Have had three pretty miserable days with headache and abdominal symptoms, but better this morning So I think this treatment is getting at something. What I am learning is that for me, diet and herbals have clearly not been enough to get at the bad infections. (They have helped tremendously, just that some of the infections have been very persistent.)
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#1789 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

I was talking to a friend at work the other day and she was telling me about her Dr's appt (she has stomach problems too and to me it sounds like she could be celiac or may be gluten intolerant) and she said her Dr. told her that IBS is commonly referred to as the psychological disease since it can really effect us psychologically over time.

A number of years ago I was doing research for my master's thesis on the connection between chronic illness and psychological factors. There was actually a lot of studies about this. The studies on IBS in this area were the most numerous. For example, patients with IBS have a much higher incidence of child sexual abuse in their history, than in the normal population. (high psychological stress)

My conclusion was that it was best to think of them as interrelated but not view the psychological as directly causing the physical or the physical directly causing the psychological. More as two parts of the same whole with uniqueness in each case. Anyway, that's my take on it.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#1790 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

Sherry, is it worth you trying virgin Coconut oil? It seems to be anti-protozoan amongst all the other 'anti's'. I know you said you can't cope with it but that may actually be a reaction to it by the pathogens.

I am viewing this as another avenue through which to tackle the beggars, and so far I am hopeful. The fact that I have more energy suggests that they are not depleting it as much as they were, so I will keep going with it for the time being and see how it goes.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#1791 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

The subject of this thread is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. The last three posts prior to this one have nothing to do with that subject, but seem to be about intestinal parasites. Please stick to the topic. Click here to review the board rules.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#1792 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

SCD diet resulted in a rapid release of visible parasites for me. So I see it as clearly related and very much on topic. It is also one of the premises of the diet, according to Elaine. Undigested carbohydrates feed parasites and mess up the gut ecology.

#1793 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

Ali, I seem to have a clearly allergic response to coconut products rather than what I associate with die-off. Also I can't get the virgin coconut oil out here. Perhaps after a longer period of SCD and further healing, this allergy response will subside.

#1794 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

Good morning,

I need an attitude adjustment. Can anyone help me out?

. I have nothing with me for lunch, but decided to go to the grocery store to get something legal. We have some limited cooking facilities here (microwaves and electric griddles) so all is not lost, if I can just make myself buy the right things.

Also discovered over the past couple of days that I haven't been making my yogurt correctly.
But please, talk to me, folks. I have absolutely got to stop eating junk.

Thanks,

Janie

Hi Janie

From your last several posts, I get the feeling you are struggling to stay on the SCD, or any healthy diet.

I would think that one hard and fast rule for anyone who is celiac or gluten-intolerant is plan ahead. Do not leave home without safe food. It could be too tempting to eat the wrong things if your blood sugar is low or you are really hungry. Take fresh fruit, raw veggie sticks, a sandwich bag of cooked meat, hard boiled eggs, nuts, raisins, anything on the legal list. Pack it in a six-pack cooler with ice.

Make sure your freezer is well-stocked and cook enough to have leftovers. Make meatloaf or meatballs, roast a whole chicken or turkey or chuck roast, and freeze leftovers. Keep fresh and frozen vegetables on hand. Dry curd cottage cheese can be frozen. If you are baking with nut flour and eggs, freeze some of that, too. Keep a supply of bananas, apples and oranges.

Elaine says that you can eat the legal foods in any quantity. I sugget picking a few foods and eating as much as you want so you don't feel deprived. Chicken soup? Almonds? Yogurt and honey? Carrots and cucumbers? Apples? Whatever works for you.

Remember that without grain and sugar, you will get hungry if you don't eat more of the things that are legal.

As far as yogurt, the diet can be a success without it. Elaine enthusiatically recommmended kimchi, a raw fermented probiotic rich food. Or make raw sauerkraut and try making kefir. Or buy kombucha.

It can take a few weeks to get out of the processed food mindset, but once you do, things will look a lot brighter.

The first benefits you see may not be the ones you expect.
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

#1795 Matchew

Matchew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hi, I've been following this diet for just over two weeks now. Before that I had been gluten-free for about 6-7 years and wheat free before that for a few years.

I just need reassurance. Before I had completely eliminated diarrhea problems unless I accidentally ate gluten. However since starting the diet I have had 2 occasions that start off with painful bloating, then quickly needing to void first yeasty white stuff then solid stools and finally diarrhea. This time the diarrhea had quite a bit of white almost jellyfish-like substance floating in it. I'm hoping it's just parasite/yeast "die off", but I am worried I have made myself intolerant of certain foods that I could tolerate before.

These episodes seem to follow having butter in the morning, and I have had aches after having coconut oil in the morning too. I've just introduced yoghurt, but I'm hoping it was the butter as yoghurt seems to be an important part of the diet. I need to start keeping a food diary. Having read through a bit of this thread it seems lots of people have had the same thing happen, so hopefully it is normal and will clear up, but I am going to take it slooooow as I can from now on.

As far as staying strict I don't seem to have any problems yet, though it is quite expensive as the only thing that keeps me full is meat at the moment. My mum doesn't think a meal is a meal some form of potato, but we have a decent menu going on now. Haven't been very successful with gravy yet, that is one thing I need to get sorted!

#1796 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Incorporating the scd a bit into my meals, love the homemade yogurt. Can tolerate it, and even eat a bit of REAL cheese if I eat a bit of yogurt too.

What I am wondering about it when I eat the almond flour - I felt like I had been beat up -- I was so stiff and sore all around my body, almost like I had done thousands of sit-ups, that kind of achy feeling. Has anyone had any experience with this? or have any thoughts?
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

#1797 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

", but I am worried I have made myself intolerant of certain foods that I could tolerate before.

Hi There

I don't think you have made yourself intolerant of other foods in two weeks. Probably you have been feeding a big colony of undesirable bacteria and pehaps yeast, and since you have eliminated the foods you can't digest, that the bacteria have been living on, there is a die-off.

I'm sorry your mum thinks the diet is expensive. It is actually quite economical. No more $4 bagels or $9 loaves of bread. No more expensive cookies or candies. Ask her to buy ground meat (buffalo, beef, lamb, turkey) which is cheaper than steak and use it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Chicken's not too bad cost-wise. Buy vegetables in season and grow your own if possible. Same with fruit. Do you have a store that sells nuts, honey and/or peanut butter in bulk?

If you have not used coconut oil prior to starting the SCD, you may want to back off on it for a bit if you think it is bothering you.

#1798 Gobbie

Gobbie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

Carbohydrate diet!

Recently I discovered Carbohydrate Intolerance.
I have not been aware of it until then... do I have this?

Similar to you, I am intolerant to gluten and lactose quite severely.
Plus those two are not the only ones.
Red meat, fried food especially deep fried, heavy seasoned food, salty food, grains especially rice and potatoes and egg yolks cause bad indigestion so I avoid them completely. Plus the Chinese herb doctor also advised me to take chicken out of my diet which I have for almost half a year now and yes, it has improved my digestive system.

I never liked the food lists mentioned above so I am feeling pretty great although dining out is rather difficult and 99% if the time I am either dissatisfied with meal or fall ill from them.

Plus sparkling drinks are suppose to assist in digestion but they always seem to add on a lump on my stomach and causes more inconvenience down below.

Perhaps I need to be on a specific Carbohydrate free diet?

Oh, and carrots ALWAYS cause abnormal bloating.. They have the possiblity for bloating but with me, it is rather severe. Perhaps I am carbohydrate intolerant.... lol.

#1799 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

Incorporating the scd a bit into my meals, love the homemade yogurt. Can tolerate it, and even eat a bit of REAL cheese if I eat a bit of yogurt too.

What I am wondering about it when I eat the almond flour - I felt like I had been beat up -- I was so stiff and sore all around my body, almost like I had done thousands of sit-ups, that kind of achy feeling. Has anyone had any experience with this? or have any thoughts?

My only thought is if you have not been eating a lot of almonds, then maybe you just ate too much at a time. You don't need to eat any nut flours on the SCD, they are simply an option.

Remember, the SCD is not so much about what you eat as what you do NOT eat.

#1800 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

Carbohydrate diet!

Wow, gobbie, what do you eat?

Here is a link to the breaking the vicious cycle website that will give you info on the SCD, including the leagl foods list:

http://www.breakingt...iouscycle.info/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: