2414 replies to this topic

#16 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

I was wondering what all of you are eating? Do you have to give up dairy all together if it doesn't bother you? I want to give this a chance, but I am not understanding everything yet. The only book I could find at the library was "Breaking the Vicious Cycle", is that the one you have?
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi Deb, yes that's the book.

I am slowly getting into the swing. It would be easier for me if I could eat eggs, but at the moment I am having yogurt and fruit, or fish, or even soup for breakfast. I would have an interchange of one of those or salad with chicken or turkey for lunch and a cooked meal for dinner with just meat, fish, or fowl and plenty of fresh vegetables - no potatoes, or grains. I had some more yogurt this evening with a few strawberries after my meal.

It is surprising how not being able to have eggs has limited my choice - even more so than gluten and dairy strangely enough as there is usually something I can rustle up with eggs. I did blueberry pancakes the other day for breakfast which were delicious made with grounds almonds, eggs, yogurt and blueberries, but my stomach didn't like the eggs at all.

Hopefully I will be able to cope with them eventually.

It is up to you whether you give up dairy or not, but it even though it may not be giving you any obvious symptoms it may still be feeding the bacteria you need to get rid of. Whilst you are still eating foods that feed the Candida you won't get any better.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#18 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

I have a slightly worrying problem in that the diarrhea that I had successfully got rid of when I went gluten-free/DF seems to have come back. Over the last 2 days my stools have changed back to the typical Celiac type, today culminating in the diarrhea - not sure if it is something I ate or a side-effect of the SCD.

I was on gluten-free/DF for just over a month then started the SCD a week ago. It could be my body having a clear-out - it could even be a reaction to the yogurt (I did eat about half a litre over the last few days), and when I had the diarrhea before I was still on dairy so that is a possibility. I will monitor this and let you know - if anyone is interested!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

#19 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

I just found this quote on Pecanbread. I know it is aimed at kids but the principles can just as likely fit adults too.

Initial Reactions

Some children exhibit increased hyperactivity or aggression when they start the probiotics. Other children get digestive symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, and light-brown-yeasty looking stools. You just have to keep experimenting with the amount, you might need to start out with a smaller dose if you get too many negative reactions.

- Maybe I did overdo it with the yogurt!!!!

#20 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:45 AM

Your reactions are perfectly normal, its caused by the 'die off' reaction of the bacteria living in your gut. When they die off they give off all their toxins in one go so it does worsen symptoms. When I started the diet I had D but it cleared up fairly quickly, well actually I had to go out at short notice, took lots of immodium and spent the rest of the week mildly bunged up!

As for backache I seem to get it generally, though specially when my guts are having trouble, I believe its the swollen bowels pressuring the spine (ooo that sounds fun!)

Well the dairy yoghurt really hasn't agreed with me! so either I'm not good with cows milk, or its the probiotic action of it thats upsetting me. I did seem to tolerate it better in the form of baked cheesecake. Its annoying as I seem to tolerate everything well, as I had a week of SSC legal fun, to break the diet in a bit softer I had lots of high calorie foods from the diet pages before easing into the strict starting diet and found that few foods really bothered me. But now i've got the yoghurt flowing i'm not feeling too sharp!

How easy is goats milk to obtain? i'm using uht diary milk at the moment as it doesn't require heating before its mixed with the commercial yogurt. Thats another thing, commercial goats yoghurt? I shall have to have look out for these.

#21 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:49 AM

I'm not sure wheather to keep trying with the yoghurt in the hope of tolerating it better when I get used to it, but I worry that my symptoms with it may disappear, though it still does me harm.

#22 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:49 AM

I'm not sure whether to keep trying with the yoghurt in the hope of tolerating it better when I get used to it, but I worry that my symptoms with it may disappear, though it still does me harm.

#23 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:39 AM

Hi Rob. Goats' milk is now obtainable at most superstores, Tesco's, Sainsbury's, you name it. I would tend to use the whole milk rather than skimmed as I prefer the creamier taste but of course that is a matter of taste.

You should also be able to buy goats' yoghurt for a starter - St Helen's Farm brand is sold in Tescos and Asda and probably in others. I have also just discovered that whilst the Total Greek Yogurt I bought was cows' milk, apparently they also do goats' and sheeps' yogurt in Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda and apparently some Co-ops although I have never seen it in our little local one (Wales is a bit too backwoods for that sort of thing - they did goats' milk for 5 minutes but it turned out to have been sent to them in error!).

Woodlands Sheeps' Milk Live Yoghurt is sold through the larger Sainsburys and some Morrisons stores; the Organic Sheeps' Milk Live Yoghurt is available in Waitrose and some Tesco stores south of Oxford and some smaller outlets. I have just called to ask if it is available in South Wales. I would love to be able to get hold of sheeps' milk - you would not think that to be a problem in Wales where there are probably more sheep than people, would you!

The instructions in the BTVC book says to not boil goats' milk but just heat it to 185 degrees. That is all very well, but it would mean having to have a cooking thermometer of some kind.

You are probably right about the die-off but starting the yogurt might also have contributed. It seems to be ok today thank goodness.

I don't know about it doing harm either. I know that many do find that they tolerate goats' milk much better than cows' milk anyway and I think sheeps' milk is better still so you may find that you cope better with yoghurt made from either of those much better than from cows' milk, I know I do.

To the question of why we tolerate goats' milk better than cows' I have extracted this from the St Helens Farm website - "Research has indicated that it has much to do with the protein structure in the milks. They are called caseins and the absence of aplha-s1 casein and a higher proportion of beta-casein in goats' milk means that the casein profile of goats' milk is closer to human milk than that of cows' milk. These proteins form a softer curd in the stomach and the fat particles are also smaller, which is a great aid to digestion for many who cannot tolerate cows' milk".

#24 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:31 AM

well after today I know its a big no to diary yoghurt, I may tolerate it better after some time but its not worth it!

#25 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

Shame you have had a reaction to the yoghurt.

I find breakfast the most difficult meal - what do you tend to have a that time? When I was just doing plain low-carb, it wasn't a problem, but now I can't tolerate many foods I get a bit frustrated. Eggs are usually a big part of breakfast but they are not agreeing with me.

I am usually aware of my heart beating - there is a background thump all the time. I don't know why but it does seem to be more obvious when my digestion is not good. Not necessarily fast, but I am very aware of it, especially at night when I am trying to get to sleep.

I hoped it would improve with the gluten-free/DF diet but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I hate this - it was bad enough not being very well or having much energy, but now I'm not very well, don't have much energy, and can hardly eat anything without having an almost permanent backache!

I have confidence that it will get better and will undoubtedly get worse before it gets better - but that doesn't make it any easier!

#26 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

Breakfast is a challange thats too easy for me, mainly because i'll happily eat anything aslong as it'll keep me going. so for breakfast I have the carrot soup that I eat for all three meals of the day!

though I may steam some carrots, puree them and eat them in the same way as yoghurt, carrots have a sweetness to them that should work ok for breakfast. I'll simply have fruit for breakfast when I introduce it, baked apples are good example you could try, though I'm not going to as they tend to be too acidic for my poor teeth, so I'll more than likely have a fruit smoothie.

I have experienced that heartbeat thing, came to the conclusion is was throbbing from the extra blood that my gut needed. So perhaps yours will go away with this diet.

interestingly enough my sleep is improving with this diet, but that could also be because its making me feel quite tired!

#27 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

My sleep has improved a lot - it's so good to wake up in more or less the same place I went to sleep in! LOL!! :lol: The restless legs have all but vanished now my digestion is beginning to settle. Even though I still get the stomach discomfort and backache and probably will do for a while, it is a lot better than it was.

I am also very tired a lot of the time - I did have a small window a week or two after I went gluten-free/DF where I had loads of energy and was even running up the stairs, but then I went down with a rotten virus and was ill again for the best part of 3 weeks. I'm coming out of it now but haven't managed to get that energy level back yet - although I can still at times run up the stairs in short bursts! That's something I don't remember being able to do for years, so there is a little improvement - mind you the fact that I have lost 2 stone undoubtedly helps. The fact that I don't get to bed very early probably doesn't help much with the tiredness though.

Funnily enough, my husband who suffers with Fibromyalgia has been doing the diet with me (with a little odd foray into gluten). He has noticed that he is able to concentrate a lot better and is not nearly so nervy and jumpy as he was, but he also is very tired. Normally he would wake quite early and not be able to get back to sleep, now he rarely wakes before me which is highly unusual.

I desperately want to get the weight loss going again but I can't seem to shift it yet. I hoped when I went gluten-free the weight might start to fall off but it is disappointingly reticent to take its leave!

#28 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Are you not losing a lot of weight on this diet? Weight loss is much like an old set of scales, either stable and evenly balanced, tilted downwards, or upwards- the slightest change giving an overal lose or gain, however small. Eating one extra biscuit above or below your bodies required intake will cause you to lose (assuming you have it to lose), or put on a large amount over long periods time. I wouldn't aim for rapid weight loss through diet, as its not healthy, moreover a slow and gradual decrease that eating a healthy diet will give.

That reminds me, look out for your urine turning dark whilst on this diet, as that means you've strayed too far into the aktins style no carb diet.

all this knowledge yet i'm still ill! this diet seems promising though

#29 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

Are you both new to the gluten free diet too?
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#30 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

I lost about a stone and a half when I was on Byetta for 3 months for my diabetes (the doc should never have put me on it), which was the only saving grace about it as I am sure it was that that triggered my intolerance off big-time.

I have lost around another half a stone since I swapped back to insulin at the beginning of October, just through odd happenings - I lost 5lbs when my digestion collapsed but managed to figure out what was happening and start gluten-free/DF a few days later otherwise I probably would have lost more.

I have gone down a lb or two since starting gluten-free but it tends to go down a bit then float back up again, but seems to be sticking around the same weight at the moment which means I have lost about 2 stone overall.

Having been on gluten-free/DF for over a month and now SCD for the last week, I thought that it might have started to shift by now, slowly or otherwise, but every time I get on the scales it's the same! Boo hoo!

Ideally I could do with losing at least another 2 stone. Hopefully it will start to shift eventually. I think my metabolism went South with my digestion, so it may take a while and I probably won't have much success until I get my body back into internal balance.

At least since going gluten-free/DF I have been able to cut my insulin in half - I'm not eating the carbs to push it up.

That's interesting about the dark urine. Not drinking enough doesn't help either - I am dreadful for that. Boy do I miss my milky hot chocs!

Hi Deb. Yes. I have only been doing it for a week. It's a bit early yet for me to see any radical changes but it's ok so far. I just wish I could tolerate eggs - there would be a lot more food options open to me. Are you still thinking about following the diet?

I glutened myself lunchtime. I cheated and had some rice cakes with non gluten-free pate. I had the most awful backache all afternoon. Jolly well served me right! I will have to get hold of some chicken livers and make my own.

I made a stew for dinner with leftover chicken, carrots, leek, courgette (zucchini) and string beans plus a few herbs and a good dollop of 24hour yogurt. My tum was a lot better after that. I followed it with blueberries and banana and more yogurt (this one has turned out better and I have not reacted to it - I left it to 'brew' for about 30 hours this time and as it has separated I have been draining off the liquid), a sprinkling of flaked almonds and a small drizzle of honey. Yum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: