This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

mftnchn Explorer
I am normally constipated. Any suggestions? Or is this a time things? I did see some reference to muffins that are good to eat for constipation (recipe given on the BTVC website, I think). But it uses almond meal - which I would be happy to use - but trying to avoid the nuts right now since that is what is recommended at first.

On the constipation protocol you can start with the almond flour muffins, 1 a day, right after intro.

You can progress as fast as you tolerate but it is always wise to add one food at a time, every couple of days or you can end up going backward and redoing things. I have found slower is better. I am trying to watch both constipation and bloating as signs of going to fast. Also when I try the foods I watch for allergies. I love eggplant but react to it; just tried it again and reacted.

I haven't found it hard to wait at all, because I found stuff that I really find satisfying and there is enough to satisfy. I am gradually adding veggies that are available here.

Sherry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DMarie Apprentice
Pele

I am like you. I am on the diet, but I DO NOT follow it to the letter. I eat sweet potatoes and a tad of amaranth flour once a week. I do enjoy Stevia in a few things. I believe the diet has helped me, but it isnt necessary for everyone to be anal about it. I just simply do not believe in "all or nothing" with diets. Even gluten free. While everyone who needs to should strive to be 100% gluten free (I do), it doesnt mean that if you accidentally get a crumb of wheat that all of your efforts are for naught. Or that you should constantly worry and obsess about everything you put into your mouth. This type of thinking just makes you crazy and depressed.

I believe living in a state of constant worry and fear cause more health problems than gluten, grains, saturated fat, cigarettes, etc. IMO

So if anyone is interested in the SCD diet, give it a try. Do your best. If you want a few parsnips or a squirt of tamari now and again....it's o.k.

I have been slowly making my way through all of the pages of this thread. I tend to be a very black and white, perfectionistic type person - so when I read in BTVC that it is imperative to not stray one least little bit from the diet, I read that as "dire things will happen if you do!" So it was good to read this comment (and one from pele right before - somewhere back around page 11 or 12). Helped me to relax a little. ;)

I think it best to follow as strictly as possible at the beginning, to get off on a good foot. I also see the danger of allowing wrong things in here and there - and all of a sudden it is an everyday occurrence. But I am not quite convinced that using canned green beans that only have green beans and water or canned pumpkin with only pumpkin listed as the ingredient are bad (I would have to call the company that makes these products first, to find out if anywhere in the manufacturing process starch or sugar of any sort is added).

Yesterday was my first day on the intro. I had somewhat of a headache last night. Loose stools this morning - but that could just as well be from increasing my magnesium from 1000 mg to 1500 mg since I cut the metamucil. I almost NEVER get D, unless I am tinkering with my magnesium. I will cut by 1 capsule over the next couple of days and then try going without. Since I don't have grains in there clogging stuff up I am interested to see what happens. I will add in the 1 almond muffin a day for the constipation. I had more mucous than usual (and more than expected) in my throat yesterday, which was surprising to me. That is the symptom that bothers me the most. Today it doesn't seem to be as bad, thankfully. I give myself a headache constantly clearing my throat.

I am still on the intro today. Probably will not go past today on it though. I need to look at my food choices and see what I can do. I am a little big concerned about eating the same things day in and out. I seem to do better rotating things. I will listen to my body on this. I will try to leave raw veggies and fruit as well as nuts alone for a few weeks though (at least).

I do have a problem this Friday. It is my DH's and my 20th Anniversary tomorrow. :lol: Several weeks ago we had discussed going out to eat (we don't do that very much anymore). This morning my husband asked me about it, said are we still on for Friday. I said of course! But...that will definitely mess with my diet. I am not about to say no to going out though - this is 20 years - and it is my husbands night as well. My plan is to pick as wisely as I can. In fact, I might suggest an alternate restaurant to the one we were going to go to - because this place doesn't really have veggies (sort of like a BBQ type place, sides are Dirty Rice, Corn on the Cob, Red Beans.) I normally have Chicken Tortilla Soup and these small Pork Tacos, which I love. But - maybe we can go somewhere else where I can get a nice steak or chicken breast with some broccoli or other mixed vegetable.

I am a little bit apprehensive about it though. I'll have spent most of this week eating very lightly, so I have no idea what to expect if I eat that much really solid food. I also don't want to be really set back after going through the intro.

And the other part of me is saying - relax and enjoy the time out with my DH!!! Nothing drastic will happen, just choose as wisely as I can and have a good evening! Don't ruin it with worry or by fussing too much over restaurants and food choices so that it ruins it for my DH. ;)

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Interesting discussion. I like ShayFL's approach. After I give this diet a goodly amount of time to clear up the mess my gut is in, I will feel better about relaxing it a bit.

It has been over 24 hours since having any coconut yogurt (the batch that was started with a cow milk yogurt). All gas and cramping and stomach sensations are gone. That's after having had raw celery last night :o

My initial conclusion is that the problem was either the cow's milk/casein and/or too much probiotic all at once. I have had problems with even the dairy-free probiotic capsules in the past. Took a lot of trial and error to find a brand I could tolerate (which I can't use now because of the bifidus in it).

I've got a pot of turkey/carrot soup on the stove and some cooked pumpkin and that will be my food for today. I have to teach tonight so I'm really glad I'm awake and alert again (was dragging all day yesterday and fell asleep at 7:30 pm).

Dawn - I've never been able to adhere to ANYTHING that is ALL OR NOTHING! :rolleyes: I'm just not wired that way. Especially over something not that critical as a diet. I always make changes. And I don't usually feel any anxiety about doing it. If I have negative consequences, I don't repeat the experiment. That one. But there'll always be another one. :lol:

AliB Enthusiast

We have to remember that Elaine wasn't being fanatical about the diet just because she felt like it, she was fanatical because she knew that it worked best that way.

I haven't been fanatical about it and I have paid the price. 9 months in and I am not as well as I should be by now. Yes, I have kept to the diet, but I have allowed illegal foods to creep in, and some.

That is why she tries to get us to stick to it rigidly, because she knows that any deviation will trip us up and slow the healing rate.

It's the "it's only one little chocolate rice cake" or "one little piece of chocolate won't hurt" and before you know you are having it every day, well I was.

What really pulled me up short was the fact that I suddenly realised that I was starting to put weight back on - the last thing I wanted and it took that for me to realise that I was eating stuff every day that I shouldn't.

Albeit slow, there is healing taking place and that in itself is a problem because it means that I am now able to eat some of the illegal foods that were originally causing a problem. When you can't eat these foods it is actually a protection in a twisted kind of way!

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I should have included that my "experimenting" has all been SCD legal foods - but I've been introducing them way too soon, like almond flour muffins and raw celery.

I seem to have no desire to have any starches and, unlike Ali, I really don't care much for chocolate candy and hate rice cakes. But, it's early days yet. Perhaps later on down the road when I'm not having any GI issues and feeling better I might be more tempted. We'll see.

I do recall not that long ago that I'd be eating very well - lo carb and no "breads" all day - and feeling very good, and then in the evening I'd have rice and then later some Rice Chex and a gluten-free baked goody of some sort with refined sugar - and then not feeling all that well at all. Another reminder for me that SCD is the right diet for me.

I try to keep in mind that this diet is also to help prevent getting so sick this winter by improving my immune system. That in itself is a motivating factor. It's no fun being sick and in bed for two weeks and taking 2 months to recover.

This thread is a great support group. I'm very thankful you all have been willing to "bare your souls" so to speak. It's really helpful to see how others confront the temptations, maybe fail, and then get back on with the diet and find they do improve.

fig girl Rookie

I agree ArtGirl- it is so nice to chat with you all and to also learn from you all. Thanks everyone for all of your help and support.

I have eaten all legal foods also since beginning SCD on 9/19 and went really slow with the intro. and did well but got off track for a couple of weeks with adding new foods too soon. As long as i keep foods on hand that fill me up (chicken and avocado are good one's for me) i don't get too hungry. Oh and i forgot i had tried peanut butter too soon too and realized pretty quickly that was way too early. I had printed out the Stages on pecanbread (i believe) and i take that with me to the grocery store and also the SCD complete food list i printed from austinscdfriends.com. This really helps me to decide which foods to try next.

I just ate some of the yogurt i made this past weekend with a 1/2 cup of the last batch i had made and it was a little thicker than it has been so that was nice...it was very yummy too! I put some cut up bananas in there. I like to make the banana pudding recipe on pecanbread (minus the nut butter for now) - it's really good and is quick and easy.

mftnchn Explorer
But I am not quite convinced that using canned green beans that only have green beans and water or canned pumpkin with only pumpkin listed as the ingredient are bad (I would have to call the company that makes these products first, to find out if anywhere in the manufacturing process starch or sugar of any sort is added).

I think that is what Elaine said too on an email somewhere. If you can confirm what's in it, it's fine.

Yesterday was my first day on the intro. I had somewhat of a headache last night. Loose stools this morning - but that could just as well be from increasing my magnesium from 1000 mg to 1500 mg since I cut the metamucil. I almost NEVER get D, unless I am tinkering with my magnesium. I will cut by 1 capsule over the next couple of days and then try going without. Since I don't have grains in there clogging stuff up I am interested to see what happens. I will add in the 1 almond muffin a day for the constipation. I had more mucous than usual (and more than expected) in my throat yesterday, which was surprising to me. That is the symptom that bothers me the most. Today it doesn't seem to be as bad, thankfully. I give myself a headache constantly clearing my throat.

I did 5 days on intro, and don't regret it at all. It was boring for sure. I would cut your magnesium, but realize it may be shifts in your body. I had loose, normal, mucous, parasites, and fatty stools in those first 5 days, then by a week was having normal every morning.

I do have a problem this Friday. It is my DH's and my 20th Anniversary tomorrow. :lol:

I had good luck at an "off" time at a smaller Mom and Pop type place. The cook steamed salmon and veggies for me with nothing on them, and brought butter and salt and pepper to the table. I had brought along an almond muffin, and enough to share with my gluten-free daughter too.

You might try calling in advance to inquire?? It is hard to get something without soy.

Sherry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pele Rookie

I have a question about coconut mlk. I read somewhere that canned coconut milk is hydrogenated. Anyone have info on this? I haven't used coconut milk except when visiting family about 1 month into the diet. It did not agree with me and I am reluctant to try it again.

pele Rookie
Does anyone start out 100% compliant with this diet?

It seems everyone on this thread has either added too many foods too soon or has cheated early on to their detrement. But then they go back to the beginning and get more serious about it. My high regards to anyone who follows the process completely from the get-go.

Valda

If you have read the whole thread, then you know I struggled at first with the loss of chocolate and tamari sauce.

I had only about an ounce of chocolate in the first two weeks then the craving went away. Other than that, my "cheating" consists of an occasional dollop of tamari (still) and the rare 1/2 teaspoon of illegal vanilla flavoring. Neither seems to bother me a bit. I haven't had bean sprouts or hot sauce in months.

I did start off with a big variety of legal foods. I did not do the intro because I did not have what Elaine refers to as "brisk" D. I just wanted my gut to heal. I do think that I overdid it with fruit, both fresh and dried. Whenever I have an off day, I reduce the fruit and eat cooked veggies for breakfast.

Again, if you have read the whole thread, you know I don't think fanatical adherence is necessary. That said, if one is cheating by eating grain products or table sugar, all bets are off.

I guess I think a variation of the diet, or 90% adherence is a lot better than eating the same old diet of crackers and candy from the big box store.

pele Rookie
I have a few questions. What is allowable to drink? I know 100% grape juice (Welch's recommended). Water I am sure. I really like my diet soda (yes, I know - not the best - but I don't drink it all day long every day) - but I think that is not really recommended and if drank should be minimal, later on in the diet.

Lastly - I have seen some recipes (SCD) that use canned tomatoes or canned pumpkin. I have canned pumpkin at home. The ingredient on the label says it just has pumpkin. With stricter labeling guidelines - wouldn't they have to list starch if any was added? Also, I see that canned fruit in their own juices is legal. Does this mean fruit that I can - or does this mean canned fruit from the store? Also, same question about canned green beans. The label says they contain green beans and water. But not okay?

Is it possible that I could eat stuff such as nut butter right now and not have it be detrimental? I mean, if I ate a tablespoon of it and had no reaction, but that is for a later stage and I haven't sat for a certain amount of time at a given stage - is that still detrimental?

Thanks!

Hi Dawn

Fruit juice diluted with sparkling water sounds better then diet soda. Peppermint herb tea is good, hot or iced.

V-8 juice is on the illegal list.

As far as eating nut butter or anything on the legal list that may be hard to digest, try it and see. The farther along you are timewise, the better you will be able to interpret what your body is telling you.

I stated my opinion on canned food here before. Elaine was afraid that processors added sugars and starches and did not put this on labels. There have been articles in the press about big corporations getting fined for this kind of thing. My problem with the legal/illegal list is how the heck do we know that Welch's grape juice, canned tomato juice and fresh OJ are okay, but canned pumpkin, tomatoes , green beans and frozen OJ are not?

pele Rookie
mftnchn Explorer

Thanks, that is totally fascinating. Not sure I can handle the fecal transplant idea very well, LOL!

pele Rookie

Regarding introducing the diet--a topic of many posts, I checked Elaine's book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, 11th edition published in 2004 and found the following on page 71:

"www.breaking theviciouscycle.info is ONLY official website and the most authoritative source of information.

There is no specified schedule for introducing foods with the exception of homemade yogurt. Some people may appreciate suggested guidelines but they are not generally required....going slowly and carefully is best determined by an individual's reactions. This [is]the sensible approach endorsed by the author."

GermanMia Newbie

My start was following the intro consequently - the bloating got better but I felt weaker and more hungry every day. Then I fumbled with adding new foods and thought it would get better. But then although I didn't add new foods, it even got worse again. One day I had no bloating, the other day I had the same food and had most awful bloating, muscle pain, back pain... I'd still fumble if I hadn't made those further tests so that I now know I have to avoid everything high in fructose - like carrots, which are essential in SCD. It really never occured to me that carrots could be a problem!

As soon as I have all results, I'll adapt SCD on what I can have and stick strictly to it!

actualize81 Newbie
My start was following the intro consequently - the bloating got better but I felt weaker and more hungry every day. Then I fumbled with adding new foods and thought it would get better. But then although I didn't add new foods, it even got worse again. One day I had no bloating, the other day I had the same food and had most awful bloating, muscle pain, back pain... I'd still fumble if I hadn't made those further tests so that I now know I have to avoid everything high in fructose - like carrots, which are essential in SCD. It really never occured to me that carrots could be a problem!

As soon as I have all results, I'll adapt SCD on what I can have and stick strictly to it!

Do you realize there is a direct connection between Gluten Inntolerance/Sugar problems and Adrenal Fatigue? You can have you adrenals checked out if you're open to it to try to find the source of your imbalance.

kschauer Rookie

The K is for Kathryn. Thanks everyone for all the help so far. I called in sick to work today, I'm having a lot of pain and stomach distention, worse than I did before going gluten free! Eating anything at all hurts, so I may either not eat, or try some carrot soup later on.

I'm using a thermos for the yogurt this time, after fiddling with the oven I decided the thermos may be the better way to go. I hope it works out.

I found this on Open Original Shared Link - a website on making your own yogurt.

"No need to worry about spoilage if you watch the timing. The lactic acid that causes fermentation attacks the perishable protein in milk. The longer it sits souring, the more lactic acid is produced. It can rest at 100 degrees F. for a good 8 to 10 hours with no danger. However, beyond that time limit, mold becomes a distinct possibility. Mold will feed on that protective lactic acid rendering the yogurt defenseless."

Does Elaine talk about this in the book? (I won't get my book until next week) Anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Interesting article Pele. Elaine is against Bifidum, but that article says it is the protective strain. No mention of acidophilus. Of note is that my CDSA showed adequate acidophilus but low bifidum and I am gluten intolerant....hmmmmm

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Pele -

I have read the whole thread - however, that does not mean I retained it all. My "forgetter" works far better than my "rememberer" :D I agree in theory with your approach, especially given your mild symptoms. And mine are certainly not that severe. When I went thru the intro, and I assume killing off a lot of bacteria, I did have a detox reaction which left me with a higher sensitivity to foods I had previously had no problem with (like banana - now gives me heartburn). So I'm forced to go at it a bit slower.

I have read Elaine's statement also. I think the folks at pecanbread.com have developed a systematic method of introducing foods for a segment of the population that needs this slow and cautious approach. While it remains a good guideline, it certainly isn't anything that Elaine worked out. For some of us, it's easier to follow specific guidelines rather than proceed without direction. And, if one is using SCD to uncover food intolerances, I think it is a very good approach.

That article you posted is fascinating. However, it introduces some confusion about bifidum for the SCDieter. Geesh! :( It almost sounds like the avoidance bifidum is not particularly wise. They did not mention the possibility of mutation of the strain but actually attribute it to prevention and/or healing.

Kathryn -

Sorry you're sick today. It may just be bad bacteria die-off, which can make one sick. I had two days of bloating, gas, and D, and mild stomach pain and then it decreased rapidly over the next two days. The yogurt caused more symptoms (but that may have been because of the casein which I am intolerant to).

If 8-10 hours fermentation will eat up all the lactose in the milk, then it would be okay from that standpoint (you don't want any lactose to remain in the yogurt), but that might not be enough time to multiply the good bacteria up to the level Elaine recommends, which would happen when cultured for the 24 hours. However, some is better than none to my way of thinking, and if that's the only way you can make the yogurt, then so be it.

mftnchn Explorer

I've also read something about infants and children having more bifidum than adults, as I recall.

Ali I think you are right, so little is known about the exact balance we all need.

My MD (who treats a lot of autistic kids, people with lyme and many other things) said that it is more important to stay away from the other cultures and the inulin, FOS and chickory for the first three months. So maybe after that point, branching out a little with other probiotics could be useful.

AliB Enthusiast

Wow - thanks Pele!

Kind of makes my banging on about rogue bacteria thing worth while. I will post that on the Gut bacteria thread too.

Elaine was doing her research between the 60's and the 90's. At that time not enough was known about the benefits or detriment of different bacteria and even now, 20-odd years later we still know very little.

The benefits of taking the probios is completely negated when sugar is eaten. Because it takes the body a while to clear out the surplus sugar, it may initially be advisable to restrict the bifidus to prevent any risk of mutation. We have to remember that when scientists do these experiments they are usually carried out in very controlled and sterile environments. They do not necessarily see how different bacteria respond with each other or with the waste products within the bowel.

Having said that, as investigation moves on it may prove to be that bifidus is actually ok. Bearing in mind that the gut of 'healthy' people has not had compromised gut flora to start with then the bifidus may be perfectly ok, but how does it react when it is put in an unbalanced gut? I say 'healthy' because, what is healthy? My take on healthy would be people from countries who eat loads of fresh yogurts made from organic untreated milk, who eat a good healthy non-sugar-laden diet and who rarely, if ever, get sick!

I also would be a bit dubious about the 'fecal transplant'! I mean, they may have good gut flora, but what if they also had some other nasty in there that hadn't been picked up...........? No, far better to treat it from the top down, I reckon personally.

DMarie Apprentice
Again, if you have read the whole thread, you know I don't think fanatical adherence is necessary. That said, if one is cheating by eating grain products or table sugar, all bets are off.

The exchange of thoughts and experiences on this thread is invaluable! I think I will feel more comfortable with listening to my own body and make adjustments within reason. I think that following the diet closely at first is helpful to getting off on the right foot. And I don't want to think of it as a "diet," which is usually temporary. I want to think of it as a better way of eating from this point forward. Initially the thought that passed through my mind said that fanatical adherence was important so that quicker healing could happen so that additional foods could be added (that might be illegal). Now I am thinking that maybe additional foods could be added in the future, maybe not, but that it doesn't really matter - health is more important and eating well facilitates good health! Plus I have seen so many good recipes out there using legal foods that it makes the illegal foods less enticing.

I think the hardest part will always be the "convenience" factor. It is hard to have to make every single thing from scratch. If I mess up, it would most likely be due to this factor, and not a craving for something (because I don't have those cravings and can easily find something else that I like just as much as something that is bad).

Hi Dawn

Fruit juice diluted with sparkling water sounds better then diet soda. Peppermint herb tea is good, hot or iced.

V-8 juice is on the illegal list.

As far as eating nut butter or anything on the legal list that may be hard to digest, try it and see. The farther along you are timewise, the better you will be able to interpret what your body is telling you.

I stated my opinion on canned food here before. Elaine was afraid that processors added sugars and starches and did not put this on labels. There have been articles in the press about big corporations getting fined for this kind of thing. My problem with the legal/illegal list is how the heck do we know that Welch's grape juice, canned tomato juice and fresh OJ are okay, but canned pumpkin, tomatoes , green beans and frozen OJ are not?

You know, I was thinking about sparkling water on the way to work this morning, thinking that might be a nice addition to the grape juice, which I really like BTW.

It should be illegal for food companies to add stuff into food during processing and then not record it on their label!!! :ph34r: Someone on the Pecanbread forum is awaiting a letter from Libby regarding their pumpkin (which their website says nothing, NOTHING is added to - it is just pumpkin). Libby's also has simply natural green beans in a can that screams only water and green beans on their label - no salt, preservatives). Having a few canned items that are PURE would be a great help with the convenience factor at times.

Do you realize there is a direct connection between Gluten Inntolerance/Sugar problems and Adrenal Fatigue? You can have you adrenals checked out if you're open to it to try to find the source of your imbalance.

Okay, this is fascinating to me. I am actually treating for Adrenal Fatigue right now. I am hopeful that the change in my diet will eliminate various problems and ultimately let me wean off the medication I am on. The medication gave me my life back (Cortef) - but - would really like it is this were not a lifetime thing.

I have read Elaine's statement also. I think the folks at pecanbread.com have developed a systematic method of introducing foods for a segment of the population that needs this slow and cautious approach. While it remains a good guideline, it certainly isn't anything that Elaine worked out. For some of us, it's easier to follow specific guidelines rather than proceed without direction. And, if one is using SCD to uncover food intolerances, I think it is a very good approach.

Guidelines are helpful, but perhaps good to remember that Elaine did not specifically work all the details out - point being that everyone is different so everyone's path will be different - with regards to timing, food selection, etc.

DMarie Apprentice

Does anyone out there have the recipe for the muffins using the almond flour that are recommended by Elaine for constipation? I have not received my books yet :( and have not been able to locate the recipe. If it is on a particular website, could you point me to the site?

Thanks! :P

ArtGirl Enthusiast
My MD (who treats a lot of autistic kids, people with lyme and many other things) said that it is more important to stay away from the other cultures and the inulin, FOS and chickory for the first three months. So maybe after that point, branching out a little with other probiotics could be useful.

That makes sense.

Dawn - I make a very tasty ginger ale with sparkling water and fresh ginger.

Take about an inch of peeled ginger root, chop it up, pour over it some boiling water and brew for 10 minutes. Drain off the liquid and save. Then repeat and brew again the remains of the ginger to get all the juice out of it. Add honey to taste (I add stevia to cut down on the calories, but you could use scaccrin which is SCD legal). I make it a bit tart because I like it that way. Refrigerate. Then, I pour some of the ginger brew into sparkling water and there you have it, ginger ale.

I agree about the convenience factor working against us. It takes a lot of organizing to have enough on hand to satisfy. Especially in these early days when the bulk of my meals is soup and cooked everything. I'm sure it will be easier when I can eat dried fruits and some nuts and can have some baked goods on hand in the freezer.

kschauer Rookie

Another intro diet question: Can I use half beef and half turkey for the patties listed on the intro diet?

Nevermind, I found out that I can use turkey.

DMarie Apprentice
Dawn - I make a very tasty ginger ale with sparkling water and fresh ginger.

Take about an inch of peeled ginger root, chop it up, pour over it some boiling water and brew for 10 minutes. Drain off the liquid and save. Then repeat and brew again the remains of the ginger to get all the juice out of it. Add honey to taste (I add stevia to cut down on the calories, but you could use scaccrin which is SCD legal). I make it a bit tart because I like it that way. Refrigerate. Then, I pour some of the ginger brew into sparkling water and there you have it, ginger ale.

Mmmm...yum - that sounds really good! I will give it a try. I actually have some fresh ginger at home that I bought last night. Just need the sparkling water. :lol: Thanks for posting the recipe!

The one thing I am still very frustrated by is the mucous level in my throat. It is thick, often hard to clear - almost always present. Today maybe it is a slight bit less than it was on Monday - but I don't understand why it is here at all at this point. The level of mucous decreased several weeks ago after I dropped dairy, corn and eggs. I guess I thought it would just disappear when I dropped almost everything else from my diet!! Eating anything sets it off. It is generally worse for about 30 minutes to an hour after eating ANYTHING.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am hopeful it will ultimately disappear - because honestly, it makes me want to blow my head off I am so sick and tired of it!!! :angry::ph34r: If I don't clear my throat, it is uncomfortable and ends up covering my vocal cords. It gets aggravating beyond belief for myself and others around me if I do try to clear it (because a quiet, soft gentle approach does not work).

I have had allergy testing. Mixed results from 2 different doctors (yeah, big surprise there, right?!). One said there were some minimal allergies, but I can't afford to use the allergy drops. The other said no allergies, did some intradermal testing, said negative, sent blood off to the lab to test - all clear. Assuming it has to do with food since eating is guaranteed to start the junk flowing.

Archived