2414 replies to this topic

#406 aprilh

aprilh

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

i WISH i had known more when i was pregnant. My son is 4 now and is still healing from gut damage that he inherited from me through pregnancy. he is underweight and has ADD type behavior. He had diarrheah and was in poor health as an infant and toddler with recurrent ear infections among other things.

I truly believe that if I had started SCD while pregnant or at least when he was a baby, that he would be healed by now. He went gluten free about 2 years ago. I just started him on SCD this week because I feel that he still has more healing to do.

I usually do lose weight initially but I think its more inflammation type weight instead of fat. Although I do have fat to lose too.

I have only been doing SCD partially and still am able to tolerate more foods than before! I think it allows more variety of foods than the strict candida diet and it does allow fruits. I avoided fruits for so long because of candida, but now that I am eating them again - i feel so much better.

I wish I had done the scd instead of the candida diet. I think the candida diet is a short term gain while SCD is a long term solution for most.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#407 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

Mia, my initial response was similar to yours, hang in there and hope the infection clears quickly.

Yes, I wish I had started SCD much sooner too! I also think that the weight loss for me was mostly inflammation. Because it happened all at once (10 pounds) and then has been stable, I've also gain a little back. Susie, I think if you plan ahead so you have plenty of food to eat and have variety--with plenty of protein to build muscle, that you would do quite well even during pregnancy.

Everyone, the chef at the hotel here has fixed me some creative things and given me some new ideas. He has cooked my fruit with various whole spices, like a cinnamon stick, anise, and something last night I am dying to identify! I've been successful getting my yogurt going here, so it has been a resounding success overall. I am still struggling with symptoms though, hoving not recovered yet from my relapsed period.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#408 aprilh

aprilh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

Everyone, the chef at the hotel here has fixed me some creative things and given me some new ideas. He has cooked my fruit with various whole spices, like a cinnamon stick, anise, and something last night I am dying to identify! I've been successful getting my yogurt going here, so it has been a resounding success overall. I am still struggling with symptoms though, hoving not recovered yet from my relapsed period.

I am glad that you are doing well and that the chef is being so helpful. I hope you will find some relief soon from the last setback.

Is this a vacation for you or are you working?

#409 GermanMia

GermanMia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

So nice to hear that there are great chefs like in your hotel! Very encouraging :-)
I also hope that you find some recreation and healing at last!
38 years old; formula fed as a baby, getting sick from sweet things all my life; after elevated liver markers at the age of 8 nausea all the time after eating; diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2007 and with fructose intolerance in 2008, on strict SCD from 09-2008 to 03-2009, back to some illegal carbs since 04-2009 because unable to eat enough fruit and veggies for getting carbs. Gastro symptoms vanished since 10-2008, muscle weakness, muscle cramps, fatigue and hypotonia yet have to be figured out.

#410 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hello everyone! I am pretty much following this already without knowing it. Except I can't do casein.
I think I am going to look for that book..
One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)
Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

#411 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hey everyone, I have just made my first jug of fresh coconut milk. It is gorgeous. Tastes like creamy milk. I was reading in the 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' book that canned commercial coconut milk is often hydrogenated, rendering the fat into trans-fat and has been implicated in high cholesterol. She advocates using plenty of fresh coconut which contains lauric acid (monolaurin) - a good anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungicide and caprylic acid which is effective against Candida.

I used the coconut pulp left over to make a coconut, carrot and banana cake which turned out ok and would have been even better if I hadn't forgotten about it and let it get it bit over-done!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#412 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

Fresh coconut milk is the bomb. :)
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#413 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

I am glad that you are doing well and that the chef is being so helpful. I hope you will find some relief soon from the last setback.

Is this a vacation for you or are you working?

It's a business trip for my husband for a group he consults for. There have been meetings all week and many of them I sit in on. However, yesterday all day was a wonderful outing. The chef prepared a lunch box for me, too! We got to take an elephant ride. It was up and down hills, not just a ride around a circle, LOL! Quite an experience!
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#414 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hello everyone! I am pretty much following this already without knowing it. Except I can't do casein.
I think I am going to look for that book..

Hi, Yenni.

Reading the book is important, and then also check out www.pecanbread.com. The site has lots of options for casein free approaches. Also do read the section on yogurt. Many people have been able to reintroduce small amounts of goat milk yogurt after an initial period on the diet.

Its fascinating that you figured out this worked for you already!

#415 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

Coconut milk sounds so good. I think after I stabilize and heal a bit, I will try the fresh and see if I can tolerate it. I haven't done well with coconut so far.

#416 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hey everyone, I have just made my first jug of fresh coconut milk. It is gorgeous. Tastes like creamy milk. I was reading in the 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' book that canned commercial coconut milk is often hydrogenated, rendering the fat into trans-fat and has been implicated in high cholesterol. She advocates using plenty of fresh coconut which contains lauric acid (monolaurin) - a good anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungicide and caprylic acid which is effective against Candida.

I used the coconut pulp left over to make a coconut, carrot and banana cake which turned out ok and would have been even better if I hadn't forgotten about it and let it get it bit over-done!

Wow, that sounds so good. :P
One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)
Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

#417 aprilh

aprilh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

I totally need that recipe on how to make fresh coconut milk!!!! That sounds like something i need!

Can you post? Or send me to a link? What about the recipe you made with the pulp? I would LOVE to try that too.

Everyone,

My daughter doesn't like the Cow yogurt I make (from whole milk) because its too runny. I am thinking of using fresh raw cream in there (its more like 1/2 and 1/2) to make a thicker yogurt.

I have noticed a HUGE improvement since starting the yogurt, the acidophilus pills AND since using the Iodine in my mouth. I think the bacteria from the mouth were entering the bloodstream.

Even though I am not sticking to the diet 100% I can tolerate more foods than in a long time. I don't bloat as much anymore either. Still 5 pounds down - which is needed. I would like to lose more weight, but I don't think I will until I committ to the diet 100%.

I had come a long way, though, with digestion, so those of you bad off don't think you can't do the diet 100%!! :) You'll notice more faster if you stick to it!

#418 aprilh

aprilh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

The coconut I was buying in the can had Guar Gum added. I couldn't find any without - even organic.

#419 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hi all.

I removed the pieces of coconut from the shell carefully by slicing into the flesh in smallish pieces and then prising them away from the shell. I put the flesh including the brown 'skin' into the blender and added 2 cups of boiling water. Then I pulped it for several minutes. I strained it through a fairly fine sieve then returned the pulp to the blender and added another 2 cups boiling water and blended and strained it again. I let it sit for a while then pressed it to get any remaining liquid out.

I put it into a clean lidded container and left it to cool before putting it in the fridge. It should last a good 3 or 4 days (not that it will be around that long!).

The site I got the info from said to discard the pulp but I couldn't bear the thought of throwing it away so I put it in a large bowl, threw 4 or 5 carrots and an odd banana that needed using in the blender and chopped and added them, added a good tablespoon of honey, 5 eggs, a good tablespoon of melted butter, a sprinkle of mixed spice and a few handfuls of soaked sultanas and a generous teaspoonful of baking soda and popped it in the oven on a medium heat (170 degrees C) It came out pretty moist - a little like bread pudding! I might try separating the eggs next time and whisking the whites and fold them in to see if it makes it a bit lighter.

In any case it was ok and would have been even better if I hadn't given it a nice brown coat. It would be nice as a pud too with some yogurt.

The coconut milk is a bit time-consuming, but well worth the effort and to get the cake as well, it paid for itself!

As it cools it separates so you need to shake it before using. If you want coconut cream you can leave it to settle and skim the thick 'cream' off the top. Yum.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#420 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

Are all of you pretty much following the full version of the diet? I'm wondering about the bloating and whether it means I need to stay back on the early portion of the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: