2414 replies to this topic

#31 AliB

AliB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Sorry Deb, I got confused. For some unfathomable reason I thought you meant the SCD! Doh!

I had to start gluten-free at the end of Jan after my digestion collapsed. I was in such pain when I ate and ended up in hospital twice, but they could find nothing wrong. By a process of elimination and some intense web research, I whittled it down to food intolerance.

I went and had a blood test for Celiac and immediately started gluten-free/DF. Within 5 hours the pain had gone. It took another week or so for my stomach to settle and the bloating to abate, but it was such a relief to not be in pain any more!

The Blood Test came back negative and I didn't bother with the Biopsy as there was no guarantee that that would have found anything either. I just don't see the point of putting myself through another round of agony just for that so won't bother. I know I am carb intolerant (gluten and dairy included) - I am proving it to myself. The only thing that would benefit me with a positive test is that I would be able to get a selection of gluten-free carbs on the NHS. Big deal. That would do me a fat lot of good!

I'm managing ok - just trying to focus on getting this stomach better. I realised quite quickly that there was more to this than just Gluten and Dairy which is why I have moved on to the SCD. There is no way I want to be stuck like this for the foreseeable future!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Well, I'm reading the book, but I actually am having a very difficult time thinking about giving up my dairy. I have been gluten free for almost 8 yrs and dairy is the one thing I have not had to give up. It has never given me a problem. When I first went gluten free, cottage cheese and fruit were my staples and I did very well. I have continued to do ok with dairy, actually, if I give up my ice cream, which I know I can do, then I wouldn't actually have much dairy in my life. I do like my cheese. As I already have stated, I have given up all grains, nightshades, cruciferous veggies, red meat, and shellfish. I eat chicken, cod, talipia, tuna occasionally, green beans, peas, carrots, and some fruits. I actually hate yogurt, I only eat it because I know it's good for you, and I don't eat it often, cause I really do hate it. I love my peanut butter, but have given up my ricecakes, so don't even have the peanut butter very often.

What do you drink? I only drink decaf coffee and decaf tea. That and water. I never drink soda or juices, ocassionally cranberry juice.

I was glutened in January by a medication and still am trying to get my tummy bad to a normal for it. I have never had it react bad this long. My friend Kev told me last week that I had lost weight and I didn't believe him, but this morning, I found that I have in fact lost 15# since being glutened. Losing weight is wonderful, but losing it when you feel good is much preferred. I really am not sure what I will do. I do know, I work fulltime and I can't afford to mess with my diet so much that I end up with diarrhea, I have to work. I can't work and have diarrhea. I'm at a crossroads here. I have to finish reading the book and decide what's next.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#33 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

Trouble is Deb, that although you don't think you react to dairy, it could still be the reason why your stomach is not recovering. I would say the only way to try is to drop dairy for a month or so completely and see what happens.

Ice Cream also contains quite a lot of sugar and other ingredients and any one of them could be a trigger. Nikki who has also posted on this thread reacts badly to soya and that is in a lot of foods.

Elimination is the only sure-fire way to figure it out. These things can be doing damage without us realising. My Mum never had any obvious symptoms all her life and Celiac was never picked up until just before she died when it was too late. I am not trying to be a scaremonger - just to help you see that you don't always get obvious symptoms.

If your stomach is not getting better - it is highly unlikely that it is due to the glutening - more likely that you are reacting to another food or foods.

Gluten kept my stomach continuously very sore every time I ate - when I stopped eating it the pain went away. But I still react to some other foods with a very uncomfortable stomach and backache and that tells me to figure out what it is and avoid it.

I get the obvious reaction with dairy - mucous and catarrgh - but not everyone does - doesn't mean though that they aren't intolerant of it, it will just come out in other ways.

I know it's hard and I feel for you - I would kill for a lovely milky hot choc right now, but I know I have to get better before ever I try to introduce dairy again, otherwise I am just prolonging the agony and could set myself up for even worse problems, even Cancer or something dreadful and I really don't want to go that route!!!

I am not a yogurt lover either, but this 24hour home-made yogurt is very nice, especially with a little honey and some fruit. My Hub has gone off just now to a local farmer to see if they do any Sheeps milk as I think I would be better off making it with that or goats milk rather than cow's, as I am much less intolerant to those. Commercial yogurts are not fermented for long enough and may actually be counter-productive.

Because of the diabetes, my body has tended to retain sugar deposits in different areas. I am hoping that that problem will now start to improve as the sugar starts to dissipate. The less sugar I have in my body, the better balanced it will be, but it will take time. I am just way too impatient and want to be better now, but it is still such early days yet.

I drink water, herb teas with or without honey, and well-diluted grape juice.

I had a bit of D but only for a day or so. As Rob said, that was probably due to my body having a bit of a clear-out, or possibly I may have eaten some food that my body couldn't cope with yet. I did have some raw apple and that may not have agreed with it. I am still getting the pale stools, but again, my body is sorting itself out so that is a not unexpected change. I'm only going once or twice a day at the most so I have no problem now.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

#34 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

This'll make you laugh, Carrot poisoning! I've been having pretty much nothing but carrot soup, and its catching up with me big time

what other meals are you guys having to begin with? see all I can really think of is the carrot soup, as yoghurt doesn't agree with me. I think I may have to jump ahead with the diet and hope for the best

#35 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

For now, I am going to keep reading the book. I just don't know if I can give up my dairy. Let me finish the book and see what I think.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#36 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

Carrots, yummmmm. You'll know you've had enough when you look in the mirror and see an Ooompa-loompa staring back at you! They'll be good for your night-vision lenses - just don't end up with a Vitamin A overdose!

Actually I am having carrots everyday as I cope with them fine. I only did the chicken and carrots thing for a couple of days as I didn't have the big D at the time (that came later :lol: ).

I am having a few things that I probably shouldn't be eating just yet, like nuts and dried fruit, but I find the evenings the worst, especially if I am in front of the TV. I have had a very hungry day all round today.

I had some more of the chicken stew and some yogurt and banana lunchtime, but was still hungry and ended up having nuts and fruit and paid for it all afternoon with dreadful backache. Serves me right. I really ought to just make a big pot of stew every day and just dip in when I'm hungry!

I made an Almond cake this evening with fruit and had 2 small pieces. That's the trouble with it, much too more-ish.

I have just gone clammy whilst typing this which often happens this time of the evening. I knew I shouldn't have had that other piece of cake, darn it. And having to write this post with the page surrounded by all those gluten-free goodies, just isn't fair!

Let us know what you think of the book and diet, Deb. I need to read it again - I'll probably have to read it about 4 times before everything goes in and stays there!

#37 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:27 AM

I just finished Chapter 9 and now I remember why I didn't agree with Elaine Gottschall the first time I read this book. She lied to people, she gives people false hope. In Chapter 9 she says:

Many cases of celiac disease, spastic colon, and diverticulitis appear to be cured by the end of the first year. Other disorders such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis take much longer with a minimum of two years on the diet. A rule of thumb is to stay on the diet for at least one year after the last symptom has disappeared.

To begin with, celiac disease, diverticulitis, nor crohn's for that matter, can be cured--false information to anyone reading her book. They can go into a remission, but they are never cured. My father has celiac and diverticulitis. A friend has crohn's--many people with crohn's will go into a remission seemingly overnite, then years later have a flare up without warning. These diseases do not go away because of a diet, not this one or any diet.

I agree that maybe too many carbs can be a problem. I agree that there are bad carbs and maybe not so bad carbs, but there are 5 grams of carbs in a serving of green beans--how can green beans be bad? I agree that high fructose corn syrup is bad for people. I agree that wheat is probably bad for everyone, especially since it has been become such a hybrid product. My mom always used to say, "Corn is for fattening hogs, milk is for baby calves!" Corn really isn't a veggie, it is a grain, to which I am intolerant and my mother never did drink milk, she does however use milk in cooking.

The more I read, the more this diet worries me. She practically guarantees you will get diarrhea, which just doesn't seem right. I will finish the book. Not sure I will follow the diet though. I also will discuss it with my sister, who is a celiac and a dietician.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

#38 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:41 AM

I just finished Chapter 9 and now I remember why I didn't agree with Elaine Gottschall the first time I read this book. She lied to people, she gives people false hope. In Chapter 9 she says:

To begin with, celiac disease, diverticulitis, nor crohn's for that matter, can be cured--false information to anyone reading her book. They can go into a remission, but they are never cured. My father has celiac and diverticulitis. A friend has crohn's--many people with crohn's will go into a remission seemingly overnite, then years later have a flare up without warning. These diseases do not go away because of a diet, not this one or any diet.

I agree that maybe too many carbs can be a problem. I agree that there are bad carbs and maybe not so bad carbs, but there are 5 grams of carbs in a serving of green beans--how can green beans be bad? I agree that high fructose corn syrup is bad for people. I agree that wheat is probably bad for everyone, especially since it has been become such a hybrid product. My mom always used to say, "Corn is for fattening hogs, milk is for baby calves!" Corn really isn't a veggie, it is a grain, to which I am intolerant and my mother never did drink milk, she does however use milk in cooking.

The more I read, the more this diet worries me. She practically guarantees you will get diarrhea, which just doesn't seem right. I will finish the book. Not sure I will follow the diet though. I also will discuss it with my sister, who is a celiac and a dietician.

I will admit that there are a few things in the book that are a little questionable, but I think we have to look at the bigger picture. Many. many people have had excellent success with this diet. No, I think you are right that 'cured' may be a bit ambitious, however, many have certainly gone into permanent remission on it.

I think that it has to be about our mindset, too. If we think this diet is going to be a wonder cure-all we will be disappointed. If we think that the cure will be such that we can go back to eating whatever we like and never have a problem again, we will be disappointed.

We are sick because our bodies cannot cope with carbohydrate. Full stop. If we want to be well, we can NEVER go back to eating the way we did before. We are in this mess because of the way we ate before and have eaten all our lives. The carbs and sugars have done our bodies an incredible amount of damage.

If people have a genetic vulnerability to Crohn's or Celiac, or Diverticulitis, or whatever, like me with Diabetes, eating foods that damage the body will trigger it, eating foods that won't, won't. Just because someone with Crohn's doesn't get a flare-up for some years doesn't mean the damage isn't still being done. These things can also, like Celiac, be triggered by a trauma to the body, whether emotional or physical, but if we have been avoiding foods that will damage, it is far more unlikely that flare-ups will occur.

Whilst she has only geared the diet towards those with bowel disorders there is growing evidence to show that reducing carbohydrate consumption can help a lot of other conditions too. I have absolutely no doubt that she was on the right track, but there were limitations to her understanding, as well as the fact that she was only looking at this from one direction. There is another book 'Protein Power' by Drs Michael and Mary Dan Eades, that is essentially the same Paleo kind of diet but apparently covers the scientific and medical aspect in greater detail. That might be worth a library visit.......

#39 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

I've been doing SCD since October 2007. I'm not good with quoting, so in regards to the comment about curing celiac, I kinda read that comment in the book like celiacs could be cured of the damage that was being done in their intestines, maybe? The comment in the book did seem a little off though. I do have to say that when it comes to nutrition and health that I don't believe anyone has it completely figured out though. And I think that has to do with how different we all are. Elaine G did do a lot of research on digestion though.

I never did get diagnosed with celiac disease but I know that going gluten free didn't solve my intestinal problems. I believe that my problems came from antibiotics and birth control pill usage. So this SCD diet makes sense for me because I believe that I needed to starve out the bad bacteria. In going on the SCD diet it became very easy for me to find out other intolerances like eggs, onions and garlic. I have been going through healing reactions and sometimes I don't feel very well, but I can tell that I am healing with this diet. The goat yogurt is really helping. I used to react more strongly to dairy but now I can even eat some cheese at times. My only symptom when I eat cow's dairy is that my sense of smell diminishes and my nose tickles. The mucus I used to get is not so much. (This would probably mean that I still shouldn't eat cow's dairy, right? - Does this mean it's more of an allergy than an intolerance?) I don't know. I have always liked cheese the best!

So anyway, I do think that we eat too many processed carbohydrates and that our bodies are not capable of digesting them correctly. I subscribe to other groups and many people there are finding successes. And a lot of these people seem to be dealing with very serious intestinal issues.

I think that everyone needs to find what works best for them. I personally feel like SCD is helping me tremendously. It actually feels like my body is healing. My plans are to follow this diet for at least a year, maybe two. The plan is for me to be able to eat other food, but probably never gluten again.

This diet is strict but I had spent years never getting better.

Kim
Kim

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1995
Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007
Egg/Onion/Garlic Free 2007
SIBO (self diagnosed) 2007
SCD since October 2007 and starting to feel better than I have in years!

#40 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

Her claim to cure coeliac disease was poor wording, I believe it explains early on in the book that where people have been given a symptomatic diagnosis of coeliac (I am one of them), symptomatic diagnosis is one that is based on symptoms, not hard test results. People who actually have general carb intolerance (read viscous cycle) who have since cut out a large proportion of grains believing themselves to be coeliac and shown improvement, but not complete cure are what she refers too when she claims to cure coeliac disease.

#41 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hi Kim.

I think you're right about starving out the bacteria. I too think that is a lot of my problem, almost certainly triggered by anti-biotics but compounded by carbs and sugar.

I used to get a lot of colds as a child (looks like my immune system was compromised by carb intolerance even back then!) although I wasn't fat. The weight gain (trivialised by calling it 'puppy-fat'!) came later when I entered puberty - thinking about it logically that must be an early indicator of carb intolerance.

I hit a brick wall energy-wise at around 15, managed to lose some of the fat in my late teens but gradually put it back on after marriage, escalating with my first baby with the GTT showing marked glucose intolerance and dire warnings from the doctor that I would probably become Diabetic later in life. I did. And quite young at 40.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had two chances to sort it out with low-carb, which was the only times I was ever really well, and I blew them both, stupid me. I can hardly remember any time (apart from the low-carb) when I didn't have Candida or other overload.

I wish I lived somewhere where I had never seen a chocolate bar or cookies or a lovely milky hot chocolate (low calorie!), and warm, so I wouldn't have to eat comfort foods and could live on salad! I don't think I ever went hugely overboard with any of that stuff, we rarely had fries/chips and I have tried to keep fairly low-carb for some years, and I would never consider myself a glutton by any stretch of the imagination, but obviously my body just cannot cope with hardly any carb at all or only simple ones like fruit and veg.

I think at the moment, the reason that I am not yet losing weight may be due to the excess sugar in my body. That will have to be cleared out before my body can start to rebalance itself.

I too am finding it hard to tolerate eggs, which is a bit annoying as I would be able to vary my diet more if I could eat them. The jury is out on onions and garlic. What symptoms were you getting before you went gluten-free? How much have they improved since you started gluten-free and subsequently since going on the SCD?

That's interesting about the tickling nose, I used to get that a lot - itchy - right on the tip - used to drive me mad! I haven't had it since I went gluten-free/DF. My husband lost his sense of smell several years ago. We only started SCD about 10 days ago and it is early days yet, but I wondered whether he might get that back.

He hasn't had the digestive problems I had, but he has Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis, and does get a bit of IBS and bloating at times, so I am sure he also is Carb intolerant too, but just manifests in a different way. With a slight paunch he doesn't have the weight problems like me either, but I am sure this would help him anyway.

When you say Goats' yogurt - do you make it yourself or do you buy it? I have made some of the 24hour yogurt with cows' milk (I couldn't get any goats' milk at the time) and have coped with it fairly well, but have bought some goats' milk today to make some with that as I do seem to be able to tolerate it better - apparently it is a lot closer in make-up to human milk!

Are you beginning to find that you can tolerate other foods a bit better now than you could when you started the SCD?

#42 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

Hi AliB,

My real problems started after giving birth to my first child when I was 30. I alternated between C and D, with mostly C. I would only go every 2 or 3 days. I had severe stomach cramps, severe gas and gas pains. I would double over in pain at times. My stomach would bloat up like a balloon. The gas I had was the smelliest gas ever and it was the smelliest poop too. It was like I was rotting inside. I always had a problem with acne. I used to get very irritable as well. I've since gone on thyroid medication for low thyroid which helped a lot but I used to not tolerate the heat at all and I was always sweaty and had sweaty palms. When I eat chocolate, my body feels hot too and my palms and feet sweat. It's weird, but since I went on thyroid medication for low thyroid, my heat regulation seems to work better (as long as I don't eat chocolate) :( I would get naseaous too. I had problems with candida and would get really mucousy. I felt like I wasn't digesting food at all. My underarms stunk really bad and I used to switch around deoderants trying to find out what worked. My breath was really nasty and I chewed gum all the time. I had very low energy. I was in a brain fog a lot and had trouble concentrating at times.

I found an allergist that treated me for candida and it helped some. I finally figured out that certain foods were giving me certain symptoms. BUT THERE WAS A REASON THAT I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CANDIDA AND NOONE THOUGHT OF FIGURING OUT WHY I WAS HAVING TROUBLE WITH CANDIDA. When I finally found a natural practitioner, but I went through years of working with my diet. I managed to control most symptoms. I still had smelly gas and C. I still had problems with acne. The gluten free diet and dairy free diet got rid of almost all of my other symptoms.

I make my own 24 hour goat's yogurt. They have goat's milk in my grocery store here. Since I found out what foods were bothering me, my digestion is improving. It was also easier for me to figure out what was bothering me since I wasn't eating any grains and sugars. I can now eat peanut butter without a reaction. I am also able to eat lentils which I couldn't before. I think the grains (I love rice) were taxing my body and made it difficult to pinpoint other food intolerances I had.

I think this diet would definitely help your husband's issues. But it is difficult for people to see the connection between what they eat and how they feel. I know I've been to many doctors that have said that diet doesn't effect how you feel. It's even more difficult when his problems aren't related to digestion. The more I have been reading, the more I feel that all this processed food is really hurting everyone, and not just with digestion disorders. There are so many people having problems.

I just know that I finally feel like I am really healing. Being gluten free helped, but it wasn't the whole answer for me.

Kim
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#43 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi Kim.

I sounds from your symptoms as if the carbs and dairy were really poisoning your system and your poor old body was really toxic. The fact that those things have improved so much would suggest that.

My body has never been very efficient at off-loading the toxins. apparently when you get spots and smelly sweat it actually shows that your body is expelling a lot of the rubbish through the skin. When that doesn't happen the liver is not functioning efficiently enough to do that.

I rarely get spots, I rarely even sweat - this may sound weird, but in some way I wish I did - at least then I would know that my body was getting rid of the rubbish rather than constantly creating more fat to store the toxins in!

I don't cope with heat either - if I am in the sun it just instantly drains all my energy. Since I went gluten-free/DF I have noticed that I haven't had to stick my feet out of the bed like I always used to, because they were always 'burning' - feeling extremely hot inside, yet not particularly hot on the outside - that was another weird thing.

Although we worry about hygiene and B.O., I sometimes wonder if we don't end up oppressing the lymph system when we use deodorants. If we have smelly sweat it is a good indication that the body is getting rid of rubbish. Presumably if we weren't toxic we wouldn't smell! Now there's a good reason to eat healthily!

#44 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

Ali,

That is so funny about your feet and sticking them out of the blanket. I never even noticed that I used to do that too and now I don't have to! And sometimes I feel good about being able to get rid of toxins but most of time I can't believe how many toxins I have in my body. And when I can't get rid of my bad breath I just want to crawl under a rock than have to talk to someone.

The great thing about this forum is that I used to think I was all alone. Why was I the only one going through this?

Do you do anything to help your liver? I was thinking about trying something to help but maybe I will wait a little bit. Doing SCD means you can't have all the additives they put in things, so I get leary on trying new things. Have you ever tried colonics to get rid of toxins? I did that before when I lived in Chicago. I don't know if it helped or not. I know it didn't feel good. :)

I'm also thinking that my nose allergy itchiness and my constipation coming back might mean that I am not really tolerating the goat yogurt. I think I am just going to do acidophilus supplements for awhile and then try the yogurt again in maybe a month.
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#45 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

Doh!

Just because I told you I don't have to stick my feet out any more - last night I had to! They were really hot. I think I ate something my stomach didn't cope with very well. I used to get very itchy feet too and I realised that was to do with my digestion.

Don't tell me about bad breath! My mouth usually tastes like the bottom of a sewage pit when I wake in the morning and I have developed a way of talking to people without aiming the breath at them! :D I do think it is improving a little though.

I am thinking of having an Epsom Salts bath. That is supposed to be good for drawing out toxins.

For a few weeks back in December/January I took Milk thistle capsules. That is a very good liver tonic. During that time I think I actually passed some stones - I did notice something in the lav one day that looked like peas and I thought that was odd, as I hadn't eaten any! I looked, flushed them away and thought no more about it. When my stomach got so bad I couldn't cope I went to the hospital one night and the next day they did an Ultrasound scan because my gallbladder was sore. I didn't have ONE gallstone! I thought that was amazing. Then I thought back about what I saw in the lav and thought that maybe I had passed them all without realising and that was why the gallbladder was sore.

At my age I would have expected to have a bladder full! Because it was sore the Doctor thought it was probably infected and was talking about me having to have it out and I thought "not on your Nellie, mate, I want to keep all my bits thank you!" I would have found some way of getting rid of them if I had had some stones - even if it meant doing a liver flush! Why do Doctors think the only way to deal with these things is to whip them out! After a few days the soreness settled down.

About a week to 10 days after I started gluten-free/DF I had a pain in my foot - throbbing and pulsating. When I checked the Reflexology chart it equated with the liver - sure enough when I felt the area in my right ribs under my armpit it was quite sore.

Around the time I got the pain I actually felt something moving in my side, sort of trickling, which was worrying, but again it settled down within a couple days. I concluded it was my liver having a good old clear-out. It was probably getting rid of stones, grit, and maybe even fat and toxins.

One reason I took the Milk Thistle was because my hair had been falling out in handfuls. I knew that that could be a sign of a sluggish liver. After two weeks or so on the capsules my hair stopped falling out - hooray! I also was taking some good vit and mineral supplements to give my body a helping hand so that may have helped too, but I am sure that most of it was down to the Milk Thistle.

I haven't tried Colonic Irrigation. I have thought about as I know some who have and they felt better after, but I thought I would see what running on this diet would do for a while before I went down that route.

You may be right about the yogurt. Try not having it for a while and see if it makes any difference. If not, then at least you will know it isn't that. When I first went gluten-free I went from having diarrhea to almost constipation. Now, since going SCD my stools are very pale. Not sure why that is. It's only been under 2 weeks, hopefully it will settle down - I am not eating any grains and I daresay that would make a difference.

I used to get the itchy nose, but was never able to pinpoint what was causing it. Can't say I have noticed it since I went gluten-free/DF. I seem to be ok with the yogurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: