#46 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

Ali,

Goodness! I wouldn't want to loose my gall bladder either. They took my tonsils out when I was five and from what I've been reading lately, the tonsils are important because they trap bacteria and virus you may breathe in. Kinda funny since my intestinal bacteria is out of whack. I do have to say that since I started SCD my poop has gone through weird stages. I did go through a stage for a few weeks when my stool was very pale. I was sure worried. But then it changed to something else. So hang in there!

That's funny about your feet. Things always work that way. Sometimes I'm afraid to say certain things so they don't end up happening. :)

I think I will try milk thistle but I'll wait awhile first. I have a tendency to try too many things at once. Then I have to go back and figure out what started bothering me. I do really think that getting rid of grains and sugars allows your body to heal. Hey, if it takes awhile, that's ok. I do enjoy eating healthy. Sometimes my body gets tired, but I really think it's from the healing. I will start the epsom salt baths. That's a great idea.

For my bad breath, I started scraping my tongue and cleaning out my nostrils with a neti pot. I think it's helping. For the neti pot, it used to sting (I used filtered water and a little natural salt), but I read about putting a pinch of baking soda to help with the sting and it sure feels much better. I have a filter in my shower so I put the neti pot and two small containers of salt and baking soda in the tub and do it in the morning with my shower. Less mess, much easier to do. One day I WILL BE HEALTHY!

I really do love cooking and making healthy food. I just wish we didn't have to do it every day. That's whats really hard. Wouldn't it be great if we only had to eat every other day?

It's weird that your hair is falling out because mine does too. It's not in clumps but it is constant. I am very thankful that I have a lot of hair. I think my hair has been falling out since I was about 16. Every time I move, it takes about 6 months before the drain gets clogged in the shower! At the end of every week I just have to swipe my hand on the floor and pick up tons of hair.

That is really cool how you could match up your pain with a reflexology chart. I love those kinds of things. I love it when you can see how your body is working and I hate going to the doctor to have them tell you you are wrong. It's taken way too long for me to learn how to trust myself.
Kim

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1995
Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007
Egg/Onion/Garlic Free 2007
SIBO (self diagnosed) 2007
SCD since October 2007 and starting to feel better than I have in years!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 AliB

AliB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for telling me about the poop problem! I did wonder why it seemed to be going backwards - at least I will have some confidence that it will get back to some kind of normality. It's probably like this whilst my body is re-jigging itself and off-loading toxins, etc.

I had never seen or heard of a Neti Pot. That's interesting. Amongst all the other crap things going on in my body I also have a permanent scab up my left nostril (my Dad and my Mum both had one and my son has one - is that a Celiac indicator I wonder????). It is very annoying. I went to the ENT department at the Hospital but the doc just said to rinse with salt water. I was wondering how the heck I was going to get it up there without choking! I will have to invest in a Neti Pot! I wonder though if the scab would go away of its own accord now I am on this diet?!

Yes tonsils are important - they are also another means by which the body expels toxins. If you have bad breath it can often be to do with the tonsils. I occasionally have had a 'cheesy' deposit on mine which, when I remove it absolutely stinks!

What a gross conversation this is.................what gross unhealthy beings we are.....................!

I know exactly what you mean about food - sometimes it feels as though I can think about nothing else! Why can't we be like a python or something and just have one huge big meal and not worry about it again for a few months!

Well, I was exaggerating about my hair falling out in clumps, but it felt like it - it was everywhere. My husband was getting fed up of picking it out of his dinner! It was all over my clothes, his clothes, the furniture. Every time I ran my hand through it I looked like Dr Jekyll, or Mr Hyde, or both. I wouldn't have minded if it was only the gray ones falling out! Now, at least I can run my hand through it and there is nothing there. My hand is empty. That is wonderful.

I sometimes wonder what Doctors actually learn. They are very good at dishing out drugs. They are very good at telling you (because they can't find anything) that there is nothing wrong with you. They are very good at listening to you, then giving you a drug that 'might help', but actually ends up making everything worse, or, as happened to a friend who told the doctor that she was depressed because she couldn't eat, being given anti-depressants for her depression (actually her gallbladder was very infected and she ended up having to have emergency surgery to have it removed as it burst and almost killed her). Cause, what cause?

My Mum died through Medical negligence, my Dad died through Medical negligence. Do I have any faith in Doctors? I think you can work that one out yourself! I do use them when I have to but I prefer to (and seem far better at) working it out myself. If I'd left it to Doctors I would probably be dead too! A Doctor I used to see a few years ago once turned to a trainee when I went in one day and said, "this is Alison, she usually tells me what is wrong with her, and she usually is right"! That Doctor actually became so disillusioned with the Medical Profession, she went off and became a Homeopath!

Two months ago I went to the Doctor because of my stomach and continuous diarrhea. He booked an Ultrasound. It came through this week for next Wednesday. Fortunately I had it done at the hospital 2 days after I went to see him when I was in so much pain I thought I was dying. The Ultrasound found nothing wrong. So I went back to the drawing-board and found Celiac and put the pieces together. If I had had to wait for the appointment I would have been in absolute agony for 2 months and still been back to square one. What a crazy stupid world we live in.

I wish I lived in France. You see the Doctor in the morning and in the afternoon you have your scan, op, test, whatever. The UK is supposed to have such a wonderful system. Ha. ha.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#48 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

Hi Ali,

It is kinda weird talking about noses and poop and phlegm and such. :)

Sorry about your mom and dad. I see my dad's health deteriorate with all the drugs the doctors give him. My mom is more likely to believe me though and she has improved a little. She is still one of those that believes the doctor has the magic pill.

My son has scab in his nostril but I just noticed it recently. I wonder if that's the same thing you are talking about. We haven't gone to the doctor for his yearly physical but I'm not sure what to make of it. He does have slight problems with dairy and his body is more sensitive to things. Now I'm really curious about it. Has the doctor ever said what he thinks that is? Can you even do anything for it? Definitely let me know if you find anything out about it. I try to limit grains and sugar for my kids but I don't do SCD with them. They really just have minor issues. I know they could get worse but restricting a kid's diet is so hard. And they definitely don't want to be different.

There are some really good alternative doctors here in the states, but they all gravitate towards the big cities and usually cost more money and insurance doesn't cover much of the cost. Then it depends on what type of insurance you have and employers are paying less and less so the insurance keeps getting worse and worse. It takes a lot of time, money and effort to find a good doctor here. And Florida (except Miami area) attracts a lot of whacko's as far as doctors go. But then Florida has a lot of strange people here too. Warmer weather is a magnet for creeps. But I do have to say that the weather was wonderful today and me and my kids got to go swimming and I started working on my tan! But in another month I'll be sweating like crazy again.

I always wanted to live in France too, but I wanted to live in the cafes and eat and eat!
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#49 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hi Kim. Sorry I can't post today in any detail. We have had to travel for a Funeral and the lady I am staying with has just let me use her computer to check my emails etc. I should be back Tuesday. I'll be in touch then - I haven't abandoned the site!!!!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

#50 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hi Kim.

I'm really not sure what the scab is. Some years ago I went to the doctor and he gave me some cream for it. I used it for a few days and it started to clear up but I stupidly stopped using it and it came back. I didn't realise that the cream was an anti-biotic and I should have kept going with it till it was completely gone. A friend told me it was Staphylococcus which made sense with the AB cream. There are a couple of other types of cream but I think it had got used to them by then and they wouldn't touch it.

About 2 years ago I mentioned it to my doctor and she took a swab. A few weeks later I went to the ENT centre and spoke to a doctor there but he said it wasn't Staph and just to sniff up a mixture of salt, bicarb and sugar. I'm afraid I never did that as I couldn't figure out why, if it has never healed on its own and it took AB cream to deal with it which now doesn't work as it became immune to it, salt water would have any effect? Plus I didn't fancy choking on salt water every time I did it!

I just wish I had been better informed originally. If the doctor had told me that it was likely to be a bacterial infection and to keep taking the cream until well after it had gone, I would have done it properly. Doh!

I know what you mean about trying to limit kids diets, it is so difficult, especially when they see other kids at school tucking in to whatever they want. My daughter has just got my eldest grandson (aged 6) onto gluten-free to see if it will help his stomach problems. They give him gluten-free for school lunch and she is managing at home by baking different things but it is not easy. I am sure the little one probably has Candida issues already as he is addicted to gluten, carbs and chocolate. He is quite small for his age and has learning delay - he's about a year or so behind the 'norm' and is still in diapers at night although he's over 4 and a half.

I am convinced it may well be linked to his diet. He has never eaten fruit or vegetables until recently and then only an occasional banana and slices of apple, potato, carrots and string beans and perhaps an occasional 'little tree' (broccoli). For a long time the only 'vegetable' he would eat was baked beans! It wouldn't hurt for them both to be on gluten-free/DF for a while, although my daughter has changed over to Goats milk which I think has helped a bit.

Don't talk about the weather - you're making me envious! We are just creeping on to the edge of Spring here so we do have some warmer weather to look forward to but our Summers are very sporadic. We hardly had one at all last year.

My Uncle and two of my cousins live in Florida - not too far from you as it happens. My uncle is up in Homosassa, one cousin is in Palm Harbour and the other in Dunedin. I have another cousin in Ohio. I have never been to the States. I think the flying has put me off! My Aunt and Uncle were both from the UK but emigrated first to Canada then to America back in the 60's. They have 3 girls. the first one who was born in the UK is dark complexioned with dark hair (her paternal grandpa was dark), the second, born in Ontario is blonde and fair-skinned, and the third, born in the States is ginger with freckles! They all look like different members of the family!

We don't have insurance like you do. There is private insurance for those who can afford it, but as we are already paying for the NHS through our taxes, having insurance means that technically you are paying for it twice. It would not cover for 'alternative' doctors or therapists so if we want that sort of treatment we have to pay out of our pocket. There are odd things we can get on the NHS like Acupuncture but it only seems to be pretty basic and the NHS doesn't do any tests you need, only what the doctor thinks is appropriate which generally is only basic again and they seem to be impotent other than being glorified drug pushers, or recommending surgery! People are so sick in general these days that it must be difficult for the insurance companies to make any profit!

#51 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

Ali,

Many times I wish I had been better informed when it comes to medical info, so I know what you mean! Doctors don't really involve patients in their medical treatment, and many actually get pissed off when you try to have a say in your own body. Image that!

My daughter was in pullups at night until she was probably 5 1/2. I read that bedwetting can be related to dairy allergies. I hope the switch to goats milk helps your grandsons. I was thinking about trying to get testing for me to see if I really have dairy allergies or intolerance or whatever. It might be worth your daughter seeing if she can get this type of testing done for her kids. I know that gluten is hard to digest and you would be better off without it, but it seems that it depends on what the problem is as to whether or not anyone would be able to eat dairy again, or is it just the lactose that bothers some. I mean, maybe strict avoidance would help and then you could add dairy back. I guess I'm just rambling. I miss dairy so much more than anything else. It's been a few days since I stopped all dairy including the goat yogurt and I hate to say that my constipation is gone and I can actually smell really good now! I hate to say that because I may never get my precious dairy again!!!!!!

It is such a shame though, that so many young kids are having these difficulties. I do have to say that my kids have always eaten a lot of fruit. It's hard to get the vegetables in but they will eat 2 or 3 servings of fruit a day, sometimes more. I started cutting up celery and carrots into small sticks and take them with me when we get in the car. Because I am eating them (and it's usually really hot, sorry!) my kids will eat them with me. I almost fell over the other week when my 8 year old son said "Can you cut me up some celery?"

I am actually north of Tampa and I go the health food store in Palm Harbor quite a bit. It's a small world, isn't it? That is kinda neat about how all the 3 girls looked so different. I just love the way genetics works. Do your relatives ever get to visit you? They've been gone for so long, you probably don't have much contact, do you? I have relatives in California (my mom's sister and husband) and I really have only seen them a few times in my life. My mom and dad want to drive out to California this summer for a visit and it will probably be a few days travel.

I lived in England one summer for about 7 weeks and that was about 8 years ago. I moved with my ex-husband to Kingston Upon Hull for his job. It was supposed to be a temporary thing (2 years). When we got there, my ex-husband started with drugs and drinking really bad. I left him and he just went nuts. I didn't get to see much but I really enjoyed it there. We went to London and to Avon. It's funny because I always think about going back and I always think that I want to go in the summer next time, but then I realize that I WAS there in June and July. It was also weird that it hardly seemed to get dark. The nights were so short! (Oh, I'm a single mom now, so I won't be traveling anytime soon!)

Anyway, I can understand about you not wanting to fly. It's a loooong flight. And so hard on you with the time change. My parents traveled a lot when I was growing up and we moved around a lot. I enjoyed it but now even though I want to travel, I find myself being a homebody. I really should get my kids out to see more though.

We do have health insurance here, but not everyone has a job that pays for health insurance, so there are MANY people who don't have health insurance and can't even afford to go to any doctor. That is very sad. There are people with really sick kids that end up loosing homes and jobs because they don't have insurance. The American economy is really suffering right now too. I think that the value of the dollar is going down. How are things going for you guys? Are gas prices going crazy over there too? They are really high now over here.

Oh, I think that the drug companies are the only ones making a fortune right now. (besides the oil companies) I don't think insurance companies are making a profit now at all.

Kim
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#52 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Fuel prices have always been high here compared with the States. We are now paying 1.04 per liter. Your gallon is 3.8 liters so that works out equivalently to around 4 or $8 per gallon!

The economy is distinctly rocky at the moment. Reminds me a bit of the scripture that ways that people would be throwing their money in the streets as it would be so worthless. Let's hope things pick up before it gets that bad!!!

It's good that your stomach has settled down since you stopped the yogurt. Mine has settled down since I started it! It was unsettled for a while but I noticed the last 2 days that it is not reacting to most things any more. Whether that means I am starting to get the Candida under control I don't know but something is definitely different. It looks like limiting the carbs is really beginning to help my gut heal. I even had a little cheddar cheese in a salad on Monday, which, other than the yogurt was my first dairy for nearly 2 months, and I was ok.

I tried putting a little cream with a lemon sauce with our salmon and shrimps for dinner but my back is aching now so maybe I was a little ambitious with that one!

I had to laugh about your 8 yr old asking for celery! Mind you, I was cutting broccoli the other day and my eldest grandson was happily chomping on a bit of broccoli stalk. He will eat pretty much anything bless him, it's the little one who is the tinker.

I have seen all my cousins over the last 10 years. My Uncle was living back here for a while and they all came over at different times. We were communicating by email but my last computer died and I lost their email addresses. I have their home addresses so I really must write. They must still have my email but I haven't heard from them for a while.

That was a laugh too that you were here in the Summer but didn't realise it! Yup, that figures. It can sometimes be quite cold in the Summer and it is not unknown to have snow in June! Kingston is the opposite side of the country to where we are but Avon and Bristol is not far away. In the middle of Summer (21st June) we have around 6 hours of darkness but in the middle of Winter (21st December) only 6 hours of daylight. Although the nights are starting to draw in by then, August is often the hottest month which is a little annoying as although it is hot the day isn't so long as in July.

Can't blame you wanting to stay put. Travelling is such a risky business these days.

#53 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hey Ali,

It's me! I haven't forgotten about you. I just don't know where the time goes anymore. It's 1PM and I think that this is the first time I got to sit down all day. I went to the store yesterday and of course the only thing I went for I forgot. So I had to go back this morning to get the eggs so we could color eggs for Easter. And I can't believe that Easter is here already too!

I'm feeling much better without dairy. My sneezing has stopped too. I thought there was something in the air but I guess it was just me. Sometimes at night my lungs would feel a little heavy and even that has stopped too. But I just want my dairy back. I am glad that you are doing ok with it though. Sometimes I get really tired but I think that's because my body is healing. I finally feel like I am going to be well again. And that's a great feeling. With two kids I just need to find the time to relax. Spring break is coming up in a few weeks and I think that my only goal will be to work on my tan.

WOW, I can't believe gas is that much over there. I think we are around $3.20 now a gallan. People over here have a lot of gas guzzling cars and trucks too. I hope that you don't have to drive much. I'm about 20 minutes from work so I only have to go through one tank of gas a week, thank goodness.

Well, my break is over, now time for the wash. Have a wonderful Easter tomorrow and I hope that you get to spend it with your grandkids. (And I hope I didn't offend you if you don't celebrate Easter.)
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#54 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hi Kim.

Sounds like me that you are, and probably have been intolerant of dairy for years. I have always had loads of catarrgh and mucous, not so much sneezing, but just always bunged up.

That is a lot better since I stopped the dairy. I seem to be ok with the goats yogurt and I had a little cottage cheese today. Interestingly, although my husband, who is still drinking the dairy, caught a cold off our grandkids this week, I haven't got it. I do wonder if the dairy also made my immune system weak. I really didn't relish another cold - I did go down with one just after I started gluten-free, when my system was still weak, so I really could do without another one just now! I get very tired too a lot of the time, but that's no different to how I have always been. I suspect, like you that it has a lot now though to do with my body starting to recover.

We get penalised so heavy with taxes over here if we have gas-guzzlers. Being a small island we can't afford to have too much pollution and the government has to be seen to be doing its bit for the environment. I would be delighted if we didn't have to use cars. Usually we manage to eke out a tankful over two or three weeks but we did over 400 miles round trip over the weekend which swallowed up virtually all our tankful in one fell swoop! We have a new Citroen diesel which is a fair bit more economical than the last car which was petrol, thank goodness.

We saw our grandkids on Monday and Tuesday as we were down that way but won't see them again for another 2 weeks until their half-term vacation when they come up to visit. They live 150 miles away but our daughter is selling her house and hoping to move up here with us so we will see a lot more of them.

We observe the Memorial of Christ's death which we have done this evening on Nisan 14, but avoid the 'pagan' aspect of 'Easter'. Thanks for asking though.

#55 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi Ali!

I had a booster meeting with my daughter's school last night and my son's soccer team started practice for spring, so I was out at the soccer field tonight. I can tell my body is really starting to heal because normally I would be exhausted for the week already. I even had enough energy to cook dinner Monday and Tuesday. I didn't get that nasty flu thing that has been going around lately. And it's been really really bad. People have been out sick for a whole week and feeling ill for more than two weeks. I teach school so I'm around the nasty cold mess all the time. I know I've said this before, but it really is wonderful to be able to smell again too! I'm just past five months on SCD and my energy is so much better now. I know that just before 3 months I started feeling ill for a few days but I've heard that a lot of people seem to have slight relapse around 3 months. Saturday night I had a slip though (I had a glass of wine and didn't care) and ate a whole bowlful of potato chips. I had a bad stomach ache and was soooo bloated. I went to bed at 8PM and didn't get up til 8AM the next morning. I felt better but now I know that my body doesn't tolerate that stuff anymore. The only other time I messed up was at Christmas and I think that was with mashed potatoes. I guess I really love potatoes! I think that your energy will start to improve after a little while. I just have to keep reminding myself that it took a long time for my body to deteriorate and it will take awhile for it to heal. This burst of energy I'm having so far this week is very welcome. I always used to wonder if eating gluten free was right or not. I knew my body didn't tolerate gluten, but it just wasn't enough. I cannot be more sure of going SCD.

I hope your daughter sells her house soon. It's wonderful for my kids to have their grandparents around. I'm sure that your grandkids miss you.

I did just learn about Skype about a month ago. Have you ever heard of it? You can download the software free and make free video calls between people that register. I have a new laptop with a video camera but I think you can get one for pretty cheap. That would be wonderful for you to talk to your grandkids all the time.

Talk to you later.

Kim
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#56 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hi Kim.

Unfortunately my daughter doesn't have an internet connection, but we talk on the phone every day. We have a phone service where I pay a fixed rate and we can talk for as long as we like for 'free' which is great and are often on the phone for an hour or more at a time. The boys tell me what they have been up to - in quite graphic detail at times, especially where it involves being glutened and the end results!!!

I know what you mean by starting to heal. I have only been doing SCD for 3 weeks and although I have not always been as strict with it as I perhaps ought to be, I am now able to tolerate foods that I couldn't a few weeks ago. Today I have had energy and some motivation and even jogged down the road this morning to get the paper! I can't remember the last time I had the energy to do that!

My husband caught a cold off the kids last week and has been pretty rough with it but it seems to have bypassed me which suggests that maybe my immune system is starting to heal, too. I shan't count my chickens yet, as 2 weeks after I went gluten-free and the last time I was starting to get some energy, the very next day I went down with a virus, but you never know. Watch this space!!!

This really kind of proves to me that the problem, not just for me, but for a lot of people is really carbs, not just gluten. On the TV local news this evening they interviewed a hospital director who said that they are going to withdraw most sweets from their vending machines and replace them with healthy foods. That is very admirable, but he said that people need to reduce salt, fat and sugar, and I am shouting at the TV - AND CARBS MORE THAN ANYTHING!!!!!

Why are carbs, particularly refined and processed and flour-based carbs not considered bad too??? Most fats (except trans-fats) are actually much lesser the evil than carbs! The 'experts' have jumped on the 'fat-free', 'low-fat' bandwagon and they are not the problem, carbs are! Low-fat stuff is usually packed with sugar which is equally as bad as carbs and makes a mockery of 'diet' foods! They are just completely blind to the real cause of the problems and are missing the point completely!

Meanwhile people are getting fatter and fatter and sicker and sicker...............

#57 KAG

KAG

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

Ali, I'm back!

My son has been really sick He's got the head cold thing and he is dripping and dripping and coughing and NOT SLEEPING! I'm exhausted. I do have to say that even though I have been continually coughed and sneezed on and I did not get sick. (I hope you didn't either!) I wonder if my immune system is working better on this diet? It must be. The sickness is still bad over here. And when people get it, they are bad for weeks. I really do feel like I'm healing. (I keep saying that, don't I?) Last year I was out with the flu for a whole week around this time of year.

You are right about people getting sicker and sicker. There is this teacher that I work with that must be almost 400 pounds. He is pretty tall but he looks round. He is on so many medications. He has back problems, heart problems, blood pressure problems and yet he sees no connection to his diet. He eats donuts and packaged twinkie-like stuff and will drink soda all day. His doctor doesn't tell him about diet so he doesn't think it is important. He is hurting so bad and it's hard to just watch him put those chemicals in his body. I think there are a lot more obese people in the United States than any where else in the world. When we were in the UK about 8 years ago, I didn't see nearly as many obese people as there are here. Just walk into any Walmart in the US and they are all over the place. It's sad to know that there are so many people more interested in making money than helping others be healthy.

It's hard for me to watch advertising about low fat foods and fake foods and wonder how people can believe this stuff. It even makes me cringe when Rachael Ray (TV cooking show) says things like "it's healthier with low fat and low sodium". And sugar free foods are the worse! If it's not sugar, then what chemical is it that's making it sweet?

I'm sure that over time people will eventually see that it's the processed carbs that are making everyone sick. You really do have to spend time in the kitchen cooking in order to be healthy. It just takes up so much time.

Hope all is well with you. I gotta run. I should have more time later.

Kim
Kim

Candida Problems 1996
Low Thyroid 2001
Gluten Free 2002
Dairy Free 2007

#58 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Hi Kim.

Sorry your son has been so poorly. Good job you didn't catch it though! Funnily enough, when we saw the weenies 2 weeks ago they both had colds and although my husband caught it, I didn't, so I too am wondering if, like you, my immune system is getting stronger.

How are you feeling generally? Are you still coping with the diet OK? I have noticed over the last week that I am no longer getting the backache that accompanied nearly every meal. I seem to be able to tolerate more foods now and have actually eaten some eggs this week, which I couldn't cope with a few weeks ago.

I was a bit worried last week as although my stools had finally settled down, I was putting on weight - around 1lb a day and gained about 4lbs which was the last thing I wanted, but it has gone down again by 2lb so it might have been some water retention. I was really hoping that going low-carb would kick-start the weight loss but it hasn't happened yet. Whether my body is now regaining muscle I haven't a clue, but that might explain why I don't appear to be losing anything.

To get down to my goal weight I need to lose around 50lbs or more. I am not very good at letting the day go and getting to bed early and as that can influence weight loss, I probably am not helping myself very much.

You're so right about people getting sick and gluten and carbs likely being to blame - I keep seeing articles in the paper about these sick people and I want to shout - STOP EATING THE GARBAGE AND YOU WILL BE WELL! There was a lady in the paper just today who has Crohn's disease and has had to have a colostomy bag fitted - if only she knew about SCD. Another one a few days ago about a little 3 year-old with juvenile arthritis - if only his parents knew about Celiac and its links to arthritis! Arrrgh! Makes you want to scream, doesn't it.

Chat more later. Ali.

#59 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thank you to everyone who posts here. I am learning so much.

I, too, am embarking on the SCD because after one year on a gluten-free diet, I still have problems. The gluten-free diet was a miracle for me. Instant relief from years of digestive issues, insomnia, joint pain, restless leg syndrome and so on. However, my Vit D level is still low, and my gut issues keep resurfacing despite probiotics, antibiotics, enzymes and vitamins. And I am a sugar junkie.

I have had the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle sitting around for a year and finally sat down to read it. I do think she is on to something with the cycle of undigested sugars feeding bad bacteria which in turn keep the gut from healing. It makes sense to me that damage could start with gluten, but need more than gluten-free to heal the gut.

I have some questions.

Some of you know one heck of a lot more about SCD than I do, and I hope you will read and reply.

On the website, there is a major rant about soy that seems to have nothing to do with the principles of the diet. So, why, I wonder, is organic wheat-free tamari illegal?

Why are bean sprouts illegal? I can see it if the beans contain the wrong starches (mung, pinto) but what about lentil sprouts?

How damaging is trace sugar? Most of us know the pitfalls of a few crumbs of wheat, but how bad is a tiny amount of sugar? Like less than a tsp in hot sauce or vanilla flavoring?

People talk about detox or die off. When and how does this happen and what does it feel like?

How do you know when you are healed and it's safe to eat other stuff again?

Thanks again for everyone's support. My husband wants to know if he can open the freezer and eat all of the gluten-free but SCD illegal cookies.
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

#60 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hi Pele.

Welcome to the thread. Like you I find it a little annoying sometimes that Elaine G has stated that a certain food is 'illegal' but doesn't say why. I like to know 'why'!

This a little bit posted by another user on here on Soy - "NO CELIACS CAN HAVE SOY. It contains prolamine which your liver will think is gluten because it's extremely similar. You may have heard you can't have CASEIN (a protein in cow's milk) and that is for the same reason - there is prolamine in it and that is probably because the cows are fed soy. Manufacturers will soon be required to remove "gluten free" from the label if the product contains soy! Please, please, from a celiac, take me seriously and remove soy from your diet. Soy LECITHIN is ok, that's just an emulsifier."

That may explain why quite a lot are also intolerant of soy. Ursula (Ursa Major), if you PM her will give you a much more detailed run down on Soy and why it is bad for us - I suspect that part of the problem is that, like wheat, it has been molecularly meddled with and is now not a 'good' food.

Not sure about sprouted grains - the only reference I can find is about SG breads like Ezekiel. I have had some sprouted grains but Elaine G does state that it depends on how long the grains have been sprouted for as to whether they have used up the starch or not and how would you know? Maybe that's why. But then most vegetables have some starch in them anyway. you will probably have to decide that one yourself.

A trace of sugar probably isn't a problem - it depends on how many traces you have! Obviously the less sugar, the quicker the healing and also control of yeast overgrowth if that is a problem.

If the foods that feed the yeasts are removed die-off can happen fairly quickly. It can tend to release a batch of toxins into the bloodstream which can make you feel a bit rough for a few days, and you may notice some of it expel with your stools. Things like garlic, caprylic acid, pau d'arco can help too.

The healing process can take anything from a few weeks to a year or more depending on the severity and length of your health problems. I think because it is different for us all, that we have to go with how we feel. I would say though that it would be wise not to ever go back to eating the way you did before. so many of us just can't cope with the high-carb, high-sugar diet that is commonly followed in our Western Hemisphere. I know that I am going to have to relegate carbs and sugar to an occasional treat rather than an all-day every-day consumption.

At least you have a stock of cookies to keep your husband happy! I made some for mine, but I keep wanting to eat them myself!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: