#61 pele

pele

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hi Ali

I'm so glad you read my post and gave me some great answers. The word "annoying" caught my eye because I wonder how much of the SCD is based on science and how much is religion.

Being on this diet at about 98% (I'm still eating mung bean sprouts and turkey bacon) for 3 days has given me new insight into the human diet. Without any grains or sugars, I feel like I am eating a "human" diet, although not one which would promote peace and prosperity on a grander scale.

Does anyone out there ever think about what would happen to the world economy and future of the human race if everyone quit eating grain?
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hi Ali

I'm so glad you read my post and gave me some great answers. The word "annoying" caught my eye because I wonder how much of the SCD is based on science and how much is religion.

Being on this diet at about 98% (I'm still eating mung bean sprouts and turkey bacon) for 3 days has given me new insight into the human diet. Without any grains or sugars, I feel like I am eating a "human" diet, although not one which would promote peace and prosperity on a grander scale.

Does anyone out there ever think about what would happen to the world economy and future of the human race if everyone quit eating grain?

It would undoubtedly collapse - but it's doing a good job of achieving that anyway!

I just can't help but look at those communities that don't eat much, if any, grains (or sugar). Generally they are all fit and relatively healthy compared to those that do!

We had a TV program here where 2 doctors (twins) went to visit different communities around the World and investigated their life and diet. One community was on the Eastern Seaboard of Siberia. It's always cold and the ground is too hard to grow anything. They live basically on Fish, Whale and Walrus meat, with just a little supplementation from a small grocery store. Nothing much in the way of fresh veg or fruit to speak of. The men who were the hunters for the village all burned around 4,500 calories a day and they had very low cholesterol.

One of the doctors adopted their diet for 2 weeks and his cholesterol went down from what we would consider normal to quite low, too. There was one of the hunters - the 'boss', whose cholesterol was considerably higher than the rest. The doctors found out why when they went to his home for a meal - his wife liked to bake and the table was laden with loads of stodge - bread, cakes, cookies etc and the man liked to eat tinned American Hot Dogs. Not surprising his cholesterol was way higher than everyone else's!

A lot of grains and particularly wheat have been so genetically mucked and meddled about with that they no longer resemble the original healthy 'God-made' product. They have gone from being simple and easy to digest to complex and difficult which is a major factor behind the copious health problems! Mankind seems hell-bent on destroying itself one way or another!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#63 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

Interesting about the cholesterol in the folks in Siberia. I wish my husband, who had low cholesteol to begin with, would quit the Lipitor.

Yes, the economy would collapse without grain. Grain storage is essential to maintain a large, socially stratified society. The powers that be have much at stake and keeping the huddled masses consuming cheap stored grains is in their best interests.

It occurs to me that many poor people are gluten intolerant and cannot afford to eat gluten-free, let alone SCD.

I finally read through all 5 pages of this thread. I'm still learning my way around the forum. It sounds like we all have a lot in common. I, too, have been known to stick my feet out from under the covers.

Day 4 of 98% SCD. I do feel better. Don't feel inflamed in the gut. The two biggies that I am not eting are rice and cane suger, oh, and chocolate. I suspect I should stay away from at least one of those.

And BTW what about chocolate? Is unsweetened chocolate really bad, or does EG just assume we are all too stupid to know the difference between chocolate with zero additives and M & Ms?

#64 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

And BTW what about chocolate? Is unsweetened chocolate really bad, or does EG just assume we are all too stupid to know the difference between chocolate with zero additives and M & Ms?

Don't know about chocolate. She doesn't seem to be very clear on why it is bad, just that Dr Haas said so! I'm afraid I cheat on that one - I have a square or two of very dark plain choc most evenings (Slap! Ow!). I found some 81% and figured that because it has so much cocoa solids it must have a lot less sugar! I'm probably not helping myself, but it's the deprivation thing getting at me.

Of course, in order to really do it properly - to get rid of the yeast I really ought not to be eating any fruit, chocolate, sugar in any form, even honey, at all. Sigh. Shouldn't have made those blueberry pancakes with ground almonds and honey. Doh!

I just wish I could find something snacky that isn't bad for me. Sitting in front of the TV is the worst time, of an evening. I try not to do that too much. I'm better off on the computer keeping my hands busy on this forum!

We have just hit the beginning of Spring - I am looking forward to the warmer weather and the return of the desire to eat salads (just can't face them when its cold!). I was hoping after dropping the gluten and dairy and the carbs that go with them the weight would have started to shift by now but it seems to be creeping up rather than down. I really need to be a lot more disciplined than I am.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

#65 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

Boy I have been craving a bit of chocolate. There is a great company out of Ashland. Oregon called Dagoba that makes organic chocolate bars in a gluten-free facility. Of course there is an open bar in the cupboard.

I usually have the munchies all day every day, a result of malnutrition perhaps. So now I am trying to figure out what to eat in between meals, bananas, dried fruit, cheese slices so far. I also made some coconut macaroons with egg whilte and honey that aren't bad. I keep hearing about fried cheese but haven't tried it yet. I am used to grabbing a handful of potato chips or a gluten-free homemade cookie anytime I want.

Reading BTVC, she says eat as much as you want, then in other places, cautions against eating too much of certain things. Sometimes I wonder if she is really clear on the diet or if her primary goal is blind devotion from her followers.
The writing style reminds a bit of Adlele Davis (Eat Right to Keep Fit) Remember her? She promoted adding milk powder to everything, including homemade whole wheat bread.

#66 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

Just jumping in to give some info on chocolate. A friend of mine made organic raw dark chocolate. She mixed raw organic coconut oil, raw agave nectar and raw cocoa powder. She then put it in a muffin paper and put it in the freezer. You have to freeze it because of the oil. It was yummy!

#67 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Is 24 hour yogurt fermenting a lot of hooey? According to a rep at the Springfield Creamery, makers of Nancy's yogurt, yes. They have researched the idea that yogurt must be cultured for 24 hours to remove all of the lacose and say there is no basis for this claim. They believe it is incorrect.

According to their research, and these people are yogurt experts, milk sugar lactose is gradually replaced by the enzyme lactase during the fermenting process. They quit at the optimal point, before beneficial bacteria, which live on the lactose and covert it to lactase, begin to die. That way, we, the consumers, get optimal billions of bacteria and optimal amounts of lactase (not lactose).

So I won't be investing in a yogurt maker anytime soon.

#68 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

Just jumping in to give some info on chocolate. A friend of mine made organic raw dark chocolate. She mixed raw organic coconut oil, raw agave nectar and raw cocoa powder. She then put it in a muffin paper and put it in the freezer. You have to freeze it because of the oil. It was yummy!

How did she make the organic raw dark chocolate??

#69 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

While researching the web to find out more about SCD I found the following about the benefits of using enteric coated peppermint oil to kill small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. So why the torture of SCD? If anyone has or knows of evidence that SCD really works, let us know! In the meantime, I really do feel better not eating all the carbs.

http://Lame Advertis...5_7/ai_94159011

#70 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

The trouble with bacteria is that it grows. The more we eat foods that feed it, the more it grows so although some of these Candida remedies might work initially, if we keep eating loads of sugar and carbs it will all come back again. It is a normal part of gut flora, it only gets out of control when we allow it to by overfeeding both it and ourselves with the wrong kind of food.

I have to admit that I have also been making a hot chocolate with cocoa powder, honey or some instant choc powder and coconut milk (I really miss my hot chocs - I can't drink either tea or coffee so the choc is my only indulgence in the drink line - other than that I drink water!). It's one way of getting my choc fix without having dairy.

I know I am better without the carbs but I am struggling at the moment. I think if I was losing weight, I would feel that it was really worth the effort, but I seem to be putting it on instead which is rather disappointing. I have had a few carbs that I shouldn't, but without those I am hardly eating any carbs at all yet am still not losing anything. I can't figure out what is going on and why the weight won't move.

#71 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Ali-

Sorry about the weight problem. My weight is normally pretty good. I started gaining this winter after years of not. As soon as I started the SCD the weight gain stopped, probably because I am not looking for a gluten-free cookie every 5 minutes.

I've been at this for a whole 10-11 days and today for the first time in 11 days, I had a bit a digestive distress- painful gas and almost D, with little odor. Is that die-off? My guts are grumbling away as I write this. I have also noticed that my-ahem-bodily secretions have less odor and my tongue feels less coated.

I am planning on sticking with this for as long as I can stand it. Despite my feelings that strict adherence is too cult-like, I feel better than before I started.

Gotta go now, time to rinse those mung beans.

#72 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

Ali-

Sorry about the weight problem. My weight is normally pretty good. I started gaining this winter after years of not. As soon as I started the SCD the weight gain stopped, probably because I am not looking for a gluten-free cookie every 5 minutes.

I've been at this for a whole 10-11 days and today for the first time in 11 days, I had a bit a digestive distress- painful gas and almost D, with little odor. Is that die-off? My guts are grumbling away as I write this. I have also noticed that my-ahem-bodily secretions have less odor and my tongue feels less coated.

I am planning on sticking with this for as long as I can stand it. Despite my feelings that strict adherence is too cult-like, I feel better than before I started.

Gotta go now, time to rinse those mung beans.

What's cult-like? Not eating like all the other 'mugs' who are all consuming copious quantities of gluten-based and sugar loaded carbs in general and dairy and soy and...and...and.

I keep thinking that if I lived somewhere they had never heard of a brownie or a bagel or any of this stuff, my diet would ordinarily be one that we would consider 'cult-like'!

To be able to live somewhere where they eat a simple wholesome diet and don't suffer the illness and disease that we do, would actually be bliss, as the stuff that we find so hard to resist would not be available! Who is better off, I ask myself, them or us?

I have been such a pig today. I was so tired (from not going to bed early enough, then being woken up by the grandsons at 7am!) I just plonked in front of the TV this afternoon and was chomping away on nut and seed cookies, nuts and raisins, dark chocolate, whatever I could get my hands on! I daren't check my blood sugar before I go to bed. I really am not doing very well at the moment.

Well done you for sticking to it. The boys go back Wednesday, I will have to try and get it together when they've gone!

Your gut upset could be a touch of herxheimer. This is the worst time I reckon. The little beggars start making us crave the sugar and carbs in an attempt to stay alive! Hopefully, if you can hang on in there it will pass within a few days!

#73 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

[To be able to live somewhere where they eat a simple wholesome diet and don't suffer the illness and disease that we do, would actually be bliss, as the stuff that we find so hard to resist would not be available! Who is better off, I ask myself, them or us?]

Ah, yes, I have often said I want to go live on the gluten-free island. Since sarting this diet I am amazed at how most of us are eating awful processed chemical food most of the time. I have never been so aware of the wholesomeness of food that has two or fewer ingredients listed on the label.

Forgive me if I offended with the cultlike remark. What I mean is the tone of the book. The words illegal, forbidden, strictest adherence, and so on make me think I'm not supposed to have a brain.

Once again, chocolate sounds really good, so I'll eat some cheese. Thanks for your support. I know you will get back on track.

#74 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

No offense! I know what you mean by the language of the book, it can be a little off-putting.

But I have seen quite a lot of comments about SCD and I just get so cross when I see others who kick at the goads of the diet. They are so indoctrinated and addicted to carbs that the word 'restriction' becomes a swear word and the thought of having to do without, possibly for life (how long will I have to be on this diet? And all that) just sends them into paroxysms of panic!

I even saw one comment where a doctor told someone not to do it because it was too restrictive. Restrictive? My gut is dictating the restriction! My gut won't let me eat the rubbish. My blood sugar and my weight escalates at the merest sniff of a carbohydrate, and dairy gets my lungs coughing themselves inside out (I licked a custard spoon last night and couldn't stop coughing for half an hour)!

Where's the damn restriction?

So many seem to think that they can just 'do' the diet for a few weeks, magically recover, then go straight back to eating exactly the way they were before! Sickness is a wake-up call. It's the body's way of telling us that it can't cope with the garbage any more. Some will embrace it and understand - others you couldn't get through to even with a sledgehammer!

Sorry. I'll get down off my soapbox now. I'm tired and it's late again and short of a sledgehammer to knock myself out with I just can't seem to get to bed early enough! Not surprising I'm struggling.........

#75 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

If that was a soapbox speech it was a great one. I am gaining a whole new outlook on what food really is because of this diet, and most of the stuff at the supermarket is not food.

I read somewhere, In The Gluten Connection maybe, that the human diet has undergone two huge transformations in the past 2 million years or so. The first was around 10000 years ago with the development of agriculture and grain storage. Before that everyone ate whatever they could kill or pick. With the advent of grain came gluten sensitivity, because human evolution hasn't had time to adjust to the change. Then in the last century, processed foods were introduced. This is an even bigger change, and may be responsible for the onslaught of autoimmune diseases, allergies, autism, etc. that are rapidly increasing.

It no longer makes sense to me to eat a box full of chemicals instead of food.

Thanks, Ali, for keeping this conversation going. Anyone else doing this diet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: