7 replies to this topic

#1 fritzicurls

fritzicurls

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:32 AM

I am very new to going gluten free. I am convinced that this is a life path for me. Is it usual to have several good days then have some bad days? I know that I have been gluten-free because the ONLY things I have eaten are meat and rice and a few fresh veggies. Also have checked all cosmetic products, supplements, etc.

I'd like to hear how it went for others in the "early days"!!!

fritzicurls

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:43 AM

I also had good and bad days at first. I really didn't start feeling alot better until month 3 and then it took me a few more to get back to normal.

Everyone has different times for when they start feeling better but it takes time for your body to get used to this new way of eating and for your body to heal.

That's great you have been on top of things and checked makeup, supplements, etc. That eliminates alot of risks of contamination right there.

Feel better soon and hang in there :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:55 AM

What you are experiencing is typical, I think.....

Keep on reminding yourself that it took years of gluten damaging your system to get you to this point and it is not going to turn around overnight..... There will be good days, bad days, days where you wonder if it is worth the hassle, days where you will thank your lucky stars you went gluten free, and a myriad of different feelings in between.

Everybody's bodies heal differently,some quicker than others......

Hang in there! ;)

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:36 AM

I think it's also possible (not like we need to make matters worse, but hey, we're human!) that as the first few days go by on a gluten-free diet, first few weeks and months as well, we tend to by SO hypervigilant about how we are feeling physically that we no longer overlook small things we may have overlooked in the past. So, because we're looking so very closely, we may feel worse sometimes, than we might otherwise. Essentially, becoming hypersensitive to how we're feeling. (I don't necessarily use hypersensitive in a bad sense though. While it's possible to take it too far, I would argue that most of us - well, most Americans in general, I don't know... once you've got celiac disease and go down that path, I don't think it's true any longer - are not sensitive/aware enough of how our bodies are feeling.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

It seems that the average time to start feeling better is 3 months and a year to reach the healthy point. That is the way it was for me too. It is so worth it to follow this path. You will make mistakes along the way and get nailed with gluten from time to time. The only thing you can do is keep yourself as healthy as possible so that you can weather the storm better.

I have been gluten-free for over a year and last night I accidently used my sons Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toothpaste, with gluten of course. Fortunately the amount must have been really small and the only reaction I had was a tingling sensation in my mouth and a nightmare. The only time I dream is when I get nailed with gluten. Even us veterans slip up sometimes.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#6 Ally2005

Ally2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

I can relate to what Tiffany said about being hypersensitive to what's going in our bodies. Shortly after learning about celiac disease two months ago, I noticed how sore/irritated by gut actually was. I am observant about everything that goies on with my body to the point that it has become obsessive. I am trying to get over this and hopefully as my GI symptoms improve I will also put my thoughts on the back burner.

Patience is the key.

Ally

#7 fritzicurls

fritzicurls

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I think I figured out the culprit!!! I helped clean out an old barn yesterday and all the dust and mold did a number on me!!!
I am going to persevere no matter what. There are too many great stories on this site to give me the inspiration that I need. Thanks everyone!

fritzicurls

#8 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:02 PM

In the future you should wear a good particle mask when cleaning dirty area. I have to wear one just cleaning out my garage because the dirt and dust makes me rather ill.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: