7 replies to this topic

#1 sweetmelissa

sweetmelissa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Hi- Just found out that I have Celiacs- and for me it is a relief. It has helped to clear up a bunch of other mysteries and I am grateful that it is Celiacs. However, I am a bit overwhelmed with the diet change. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi there- I'm from north of Boston and have celiac too. It IS overwhelming at first but after awhile, you get so used to it it almost becomes second nature.

Great places to shop in the Boston area are Whole Foods and Trader Joe's . Lots of gluten-free options and things are clearly labeled.

Legal Seafoods has a gluten-free menu (and it is TASTY!) as does the Outback and PF Chang's.

If you go to the cape at all, BZ's Pizzeria in Dennisport has great gluten-free pizza.

Welcome to the board- it's an excellent resource. I've been gluten-free for 5 years after being diagnosed at Beth Israel and this site has been a lifesaver!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#3 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Hi sweetmelissa,

Lots of things come to mind, and most I've just learned along the way (and many from this forum!).

If you don’t live alone and your household is not going to be entirely gluten free (mine is not, my husband eats wheat/gluten) you’ll need your own cutting board, colander, toaster (I even got a new hand mixer because mine was old enough that I thought I’d never get all traces of gluten out of it). If you use teflon coated pans, you’ll want to get one just for your gluten free dishes. Use stainless steel utensils, and not plastic or wood (toss your old wooden spoon!).

Be aware that “wheat free” does not necessarily mean “gluten free” (it could still have barley/rye etc in it, which contain gluten). And that gluten can often be a hidden ingredient (flavorings, colorings, etc.) and often shows up in products you’d never suspect (soy sauce, spices, licorice, ice cream). And that, yes, even toast crumbs can hurt you (be careful of cross contamination).

Now for some very handy accessories. There are grocery shopping guides out there to make your life WAY easier at the store. They list mainstream products (Kraft, Heinz, Kroger, Hormel, etc.) by category (soups, chips, dressings, spaghetti sauce, etc.)

http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/
http://www.triumphdi...CFdVL5QodHR95Bw

There’s another out that can also be downloaded to your PDA device, etc., by Clan Thompson, and an online service www.zeer.com that has a monthly fee (don't remember how much it is) also.

I bought the Cecilia’s guide, it was about $25 and worth every dollar. Put an end to standing in the aisle and reading packages for 20 minutes at a time! There are even restaurant guides.

It's a bit of a learning curve the first couple months, but once you get a handle on what’s safe, it won’t be that big of a deal.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

#4 sweetmelissa

sweetmelissa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

thank you both! i am going to tjoes today. another restaurant that has a gluten free menu is not your average joes- i just know that by coincidence! and i do go to the cape, so that is a real help. thanks- this info really is helpful as i am a bit overwhelmed right now. but so happy to start to feel better!!!

#5 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:48 AM

It does take awhile to get a grip on it so be patient and give yourself some time.

Oh, Not Your Average Joe's- forgot about that! Pizzeria Uno (which unfortunately just closed their business in my area) has gluten-free pizza too! I know that at first they were trying it as a trial so you might want to call your local one and see if they're still doing it. I had it twice- good stuff! Basic pizza with a thin, crispy crust!

When shopping for gluten-free items here are some of my favorites.

1. Pasta- Tinkyada rice pasta is my favorite. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) pasta is also good.
2. Bread- I'm partial to rolls and bread from Against the Grain (I get it at Whole Foods) but I bought a bread maker last year and love Gluten-Free pantry's favorite sandwich bread.
3. Brownies- Namaste mixes rock. gluten-free pantry's truffle brownie mis is pretty amazing too!

Happy Shopping. TJ's has a lot og gluten-free items. What I like about them is that their ingredients are always clearly labeled. Their gluten-free granola (I like cranberry walnut) is really good.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#6 sweetmelissa

sweetmelissa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

oh thank you! i've actually been pretty happy w/the diagnosis, bc it remedies a whole host of other issues i've been having. but the reality that this is a diet for life- not for a little bit- is sinking in- and it's a bit scary! thanks for the advice on shopping items,too. so glad to have found this site!

It does take awhile to get a grip on it so be patient and give yourself some time.

Oh, Not Your Average Joe's- forgot about that! Pizzeria Uno (which unfortunately just closed their business in my area) has gluten-free pizza too! I know that at first they were trying it as a trial so you might want to call your local one and see if they're still doing it. I had it twice- good stuff! Basic pizza with a thin, crispy crust!

When shopping for gluten-free items here are some of my favorites.

1. Pasta- Tinkyada rice pasta is my favorite. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) pasta is also good.
2. Bread- I'm partial to rolls and bread from Against the Grain (I get it at Whole Foods) but I bought a bread maker last year and love Gluten-Free pantry's favorite sandwich bread.
3. Brownies- Namaste mixes rock. gluten-free pantry's truffle brownie mis is pretty amazing too!

Happy Shopping. TJ's has a lot og gluten-free items. What I like about them is that their ingredients are always clearly labeled. Their gluten-free granola (I like cranberry walnut) is really good.

#7 mediaseth

mediaseth

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

Mtndog, I'm also on the North Shore and while the first time I ate at Uno's in Swampscott I was fine, the second time I was severely sick afterwards. Since I never liked chain restaurants to begin with, they probably lost a customer.

I also checked out Not Your Average Joe's. Their gluten-free menu does not include proper vegetarian meals. Another one ruled out. It's a chain, anyway.

I have to agree, though, on Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Neither store offers everything I like, so I have to go to both! But, I just visited a WF in Providence, RI. this weekend and they had way more to choose from than the one by me!! I think I'm going to write a little letter, because then I won't have to jump between supermarkets to do a complete shopping. :)

Don't be timid to talk about your situation and don't let anyone give you attitude about it, either. Besides, the more people demand gluten-free options while out and about, the more they'll start to offer them places. For example, I always ask bars if they have Bard's, New Grist or Redbridge beers before settling on something else.

#8 DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

Mtndog, I'm also on the North Shore and while the first time I ate at Uno's in Swampscott I was fine, the second time I was severely sick afterwards. Since I never liked chain restaurants to begin with, they probably lost a customer.

I also checked out Not Your Average Joe's. Their gluten-free menu does not include proper vegetarian meals. Another one ruled out. It's a chain, anyway.

I have to agree, though, on Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Neither store offers everything I like, so I have to go to both! But, I just visited a WF in Providence, RI. this weekend and they had way more to choose from than the one by me!! I think I'm going to write a little letter, because then I won't have to jump between supermarkets to do a complete shopping. :)

Don't be timid to talk about your situation and don't let anyone give you attitude about it, either. Besides, the more people demand gluten-free options while out and about, the more they'll start to offer them places. For example, I always ask bars if they have Bard's, New Grist or Redbridge beers before settling on something else.

I have eaten at the Uno's in Swampscott many times !! And have never felt bad afterwards. Perhaps it was something else that caused your sickness? Not trying to start a controversy but just another point of view.
Sorry you got sick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: