This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Anyone Able To Explain This?

KLFrosty

KLFrosty Newbie

Hello all, this is my first post on these forums so please take it easy on me :lol: .

I guess I'll start from the beginning. About 2 months ago I came to the realization that I

might have a gluten intolerance because out of the blue, about a year ago, I noticed that certain foods like bread, cereal and pasta would all give me indigestion. When this indigestion first started I had no idea about gluten intolerance and just continued eating my regular diet. Around the time that I turned 22 I started to get curious about why this indigestion kept happening to me so I did what a lot of people on this site probably did and started googling.

After a little searching I came across the topic of gluten intolerance/celiac disease and began to wonder if this is what the problem was.

Now that I had a possible answer to my problem I decided to test it out so I went gluten "free" for a while and noticed that my indigestion problem disappeared. Now for my question. After discovering that I might have a gluten intolerance I noticed that certain foods that contain gluten didn't bother my digestive system while others did. For example kellogg's bran flakes, brand named breads (like wonder bread) and chef boyardee ravioli would all give me terrible indigestion but foods like Fiber1 cereal, bread (that was made fresh in a bakery), hamburgers (homemade and fast food) and spaghetti would not give me any digestion issues whatsoever. So I was wondering if anyone had an explanation for this "anomaly". Thanks in advance! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jaded Newbie
Hello all, this is my first post on these forums so please take it easy on me :lol: .

I guess I'll start from the beginning. About 2 months ago I came to the realization that I

might have a gluten intolerance because out of the blue, about a year ago, I noticed that certain foods like bread, cereal and pasta would all give me indigestion. When this indigestion first started I had no idea about gluten intolerance and just continued eating my regular diet. Around the time that I turned 22 I started to get curious about why this indigestion kept happening to me so I did what a lot of people on this site probably did and started googling.

After a little searching I came across the topic of gluten intolerance/celiac disease and began to wonder if this is what the problem was.

Now that I had a possible answer to my problem I decided to test it out so I went gluten "free" for a while and noticed that my indigestion problem disappeared. Now for my question. After discovering that I might have a gluten intolerance I noticed that certain foods that contain gluten didn't bother my digestive system while others did. For example kellogg's bran flakes, brand named breads (like wonder bread) and chef boyardee ravioli would all give me terrible indigestion but foods like Fiber1 cereal, bread (that was made fresh in a bakery), hamburgers (homemade and fast food) and spaghetti would not give me any digestion issues whatsoever. So I was wondering if anyone had an explanation for this "anomaly". Thanks in advance! :)

It could be that you have a "sensitvity" maybe you are not a "true celiac". maybe it's not gluten you are alergic to but maybe you are alergic to wheat or barrely or rye or maybe even yeast. I suggest talking to an alergist and getting tested.

KLFrosty Newbie
It could be that you have a "sensitvity" maybe you are not a "true celiac". maybe it's not gluten you are alergic to but maybe you are alergic to wheat or barrely or rye or maybe even yeast. I suggest talking to an alergist and getting tested.

Ah, thanks for your input. Maybe I should take a trip to the doctor.

CeliacAlli Apprentice

Not everyone that has celiac disease has the classic symptoms...they may also have the symptoms with only certain foods too..so you really should be tested.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Different foods have different amounts of gluten in them. As an example, I've read that whole wheat bread has more gluten than white bread. The amount of gluten it takes to cause a reaction is different for each of us. For some a bread crumb is a killer, others will take the bun off a hamburger and eat the meat. I'm from the "a crumb is a killer camp" and can't stand to watch my co-worker eat a newly bunless burger. I just know it cannot be ok for him to do that but ............ I'm not his Dr. or his Mom.

Also, most of us ate glutened foods and sustained damage to our intestines for years before we had obvious symptoms. Just because you aren't sick doesn't mean you aren't hurting yourself.

Hope this helps

RA

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Also, most of us ate glutened foods and sustained damage to our intestines for years before we had obvious symptoms. Just because you aren't sick doesn't mean you aren't hurting yourself

For years, before I knew anything about gluten, I thought toast was my best friend. and all that time, I was feeding the monster. Of course, I craved bread, which is another symptom...craving the very thing you can't have! I never could pinpoint what was effecting me, I was sick nearly every night and some mornings...everything seemed to be an issue.

Just because you aren't sick doesn't mean you aren't hurting yourself

I think this is true for many still, even after going gluten free. It has been proven that many of our labeled "gluten free" foods still contain an amount of gluten that scientists feel is safe for us to eat. But is it? Who really knows what is "safe enough". I think as long as a person continues to eat gluten, they are doing harm to themselves.

Archived