6 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa79

Lisa79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

I received this from the manufactures of a medication. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this?

contains a tablet coating called Opaglos which is made by another company. Each Pristiq 50mg tablet contains 13.73 mg of the coating, Opaglos. The manufactuers have confirmed that the coating does contain gliaden gluten and they state that it does contains less than 0.31% protein (gliaden gluten).

Please discuss with your doctor if Pristiq is appropriate for you, based on the severity of your condition.

Thanks
Lisa Franco

Lisa :)

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.
DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005
DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009
DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa79

Lisa79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

Would anyone recommend who I can talk to about this? I have tried GP's who I find most say a small trace amount wouldn't hurt, which makes me angry. I was told I probably digest more gluten accidentally that what is in this medication.

I have tried my state coeliac society although they have not given me any answers.

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,072 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hi, Lisa,

Here come some maths and sciences, based on the information you provided.

We often debate what is a safe level of gluten in ordinary products such as bread. The EU allows up to 200 parts per million (ppm) in some cases, and 20 ppm in others. The US is debating a 20 ppm rule for products labeled gluten-free.

Each 50 mg tablet contains 13.73 mg of coating. The coating contains at most 0.31 percent gluten. 0.31 percent of 13.73 mg is 0.35 mg in absolute terms.

If you were to take only one tablet per day, 0.35 mg is a small amount. It is equivalent to about 175 grams (about 6 ounces) of 20 ppm gluten-free bread.

So, be angry with me if you want, but I agree with the doctors. This is a trace amount, and unless you live in a hermetically sealed bubble, you are probably getting at least this much in random cross contamination.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Lisa79

Lisa79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

Thanks so much for the reply, Its good to hear it in the terms you have given me, easier to get my head around.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:27 AM

I took this med for a week. I am really sensitive but don't think I had a gluten reaction. That said I was a total zombie on this med and by the 3rd day didn't care about anything. Didn't care if I ate, didn't care if I went outside, didn't care if I even moved. I have really bad anxiety but I stopped the med anyway and we went with Xanax at my next appointment.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

I took this med for a week. I am really sensitive but don't think I had a gluten reaction. That said I was a total zombie on this med and by the 3rd day didn't care about anything. Didn't care if I ate, didn't care if I went outside, didn't care if I even moved. I have really bad anxiety but I stopped the med anyway and we went with Xanax at my next appointment.

Judy in Southern CA

#7 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi again Raven wood

just so tired of feeling this way.
I have been on pristiq for 2 weeks and I don't feel like it's helping at the doctor wants me on it for at least 4 weeks
Judy in Southern CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: