This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Piercings Rejecting-related To Gluten?

pdx.lila

pdx.lila Rookie

so about 2 years ago I got my nipples pierced. I never had any problems with them until about May of this year. Then they started weeping(oozing) and being extremely tender. This was about the same time I noticed my celiac symptoms getting worse. I don't usually have skin reactions although I've been noticing a reaction to my non gluten free soap lately.

I use Aveeno soap in the shower to clean my piercings (then do salt water soaks) and this has oatmeal in it...anyone think that there's any chance this could be irritating the piercings so much that this is why they're rejecting? It'd be useful to get some advice because I haven't heard much about celiac in relation to piercings,and I want to be able to take good care of my piercings in the future.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

It is advisable to change your body wash and soaps if you are reacting to them.

About the piercings, nipple piercings can reject, especially if they're not done properly (not far back enough, not enough skin to keep them in). If the jewelry gauge is too thin or the piercing isn't deep enough to begin with, you run the risk of rejection. If you have an allergy to the metal, it could cause it to reject. If you have problems with infection and/or tug and pull on it too much, it could reject.

It's hard to know for sure whether it's the gluten or the piercing -- try changing the body wash to see if it gets better.

Good luck!

Jillian

so about 2 years ago I got my nipples pierced. I never had any problems with them until about May of this year. Then they started weeping(oozing) and being extremely tender. This was about the same time I noticed my celiac symptoms getting worse. I don't usually have skin reactions although I've been noticing a reaction to my non gluten free soap lately.

I use Aveeno soap in the shower to clean my piercings (then do salt water soaks) and this has oatmeal in it...anyone think that there's any chance this could be irritating the piercings so much that this is why they're rejecting? It'd be useful to get some advice because I haven't heard much about celiac in relation to piercings,and I want to be able to take good care of my piercings in the future.

Thanks!

Generic Apprentice

Also if you have barbells and if they are too short they won't heal well. Try useing Dr. bronner's hemp soap. It is fantastick. wroks great to heal piercings.

Evie4 Apprentice

I've been wondering if my progessive problem with gluten has had anything to do with my inability to wear earrings for about a year and a half now. I've always been able to wear 14k gold and I even went to 18k, but still had a problem. I wore earrings successfully for almost 30 years. I bought some niobium hooks to try, but haven't as I found it pointless since one lobe hurts to even put the earring through the hole. Maybe I'll try in another year when I 've been gluten free longer. I'm hoping it's not an allergy--I hope I can return to wearing my earrings.

• 1 month later...
Laurelf Explorer

It could be nickel allergy. I developed that out of the blue a couple of years ago. My wedding band which had been fine for 10 years suddenly caused my finger to swell and turn red and itch and I had to have the band cut off. Even though it was supposed to be gold, it had white gold mixed in which often contains nickel. You have to really make sure that gold is 100% pure as they often stick nickel in without telling you. I switched to stanless steel watch as my wrist had a problem with the gold watch.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
positivenrgfairy Apprentice

Hello! I have no idea if it's related to gluten or not, but I had an eyebrow piercing that got rejected when I was in college. I also can't wear earrings and I'm so sensitive to most metals that I break out into a rash when I wear jeans (just a tiny one on my right hip where they put the little stud)

I haven't been wearing jeans lately so I don't know if it has gone away since being gluten-free.

I definitely had bad problems with DH (having no clue what it was of course) before going gluten-free, so maybe they are related.

it would be so awesome if I could wear earrings again!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

I started getting a bit of pain in the piercings in my ears - pretty sure it was the nickle in the sterling silver. They'd be ok for a day, but only that long. Rather than let the situation get worse, I switched to niobium, and haven't had any problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pufffee Apprentice

Thanks!

Hi There

Nipple piercings can take years to heal properly. It is an extremely sensitive area and women can even lose feeling after they are done. I am a man and had mine done for a year or two and they never healed 100%. I had them done vertically to be a tad different and the barbells were real small, this causes alot more irratation, as another member also mentioned. Having many piercings in my earlier life, I would say this was the most time consuming and sensitive. I am not a Dr. lol, but been around that needle many times. This is most likely and issue of soap, type of metal, barbell or hoop used. Try some things out. But be careful on who you speak to. Some people are quick to give you answers. They will say theirs healed in a month or two, yet that same person can get infection a year later. Best of luck!

Mysh Rookie

wow! interesting!

I'd had my ears pierced since I was a little girl but have had numerous times when my body just rejected them. I'd wait a few months and get them repierced. I always thought I just couldn't wear "cheap" earrings.

I took my earrings out a few years ago when my youngest took a fancy to them and let the holes close up. Since then, I've tried 4 times to have them repierced. No amount of good earrings, cleaning solutions etc allows me to keep them. My body just rejects them totally.

I hate it because I am real girlie girl :P

tarnalberry Community Regular
I took my earrings out a few years ago when my youngest took a fancy to them and let the holes close up. Since then, I've tried 4 times to have them repierced. No amount of good earrings, cleaning solutions etc allows me to keep them. My body just rejects them totally.

Have you tried stainless steel, niobium, or titanium? They might not be "good" (as in fancy), but they tend to be the least allergenic.

Archived