This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Angel Food Ccake

sillyken

sillyken Enthusiast

I made an agel food cake today from scratch. :D If anyone wants a great tasting recipe this came from Betty Hagmans Comfort Food Book. Anyhow, It looked great as I pulled it out of the oven all fluffy and nice. But since I didn't have a bottle to put it on when flipping it upside down I just set it on the rim. When I went to check it, this beautiful cake had fallen. :o What could have caused this?

Ken Ritter

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rma451 Newbie

hi , I think it wasnt done thats usually why any cake falls after its out .I make an angel food cake recipe that I got on line if you want the recipe let me know ,it was fantastic ,and easy. came out perfect and taste and texture was very close to old days . its gluten-free

ps. is one of my favorite desserts made it alot , before finding was celiac then one of first recipes hunted down , yum. lol :D

sillyken Enthusiast

:lol: Thank you. That was a while ago. I appreciate the response.

Ken

KellyR Apprentice

If the recipe is easy then I would love it if you dont mind.

Thanks

AlwaysHope Rookie
hi , I think it wasnt done  thats usually why any cake falls  after its out .I make an angel food cake recipe that I got on line  if you want  the recipe let me know ,it was fantastic ,and easy. came out perfect  and taste and texture was very close to old days . its gluten-free

ps. is one of my favorite desserts made it alot ,  before finding was celiac  then  one of first recipes  hunted down , yum. lol :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.. we can have angel food cake!! whoo hoo.. My husband and I love it.

Can we have whipped cream and strawberries too! LOL

Can you send me the recipe plezzz?

Deb4jc2@hotmail.com

And if you have any other deserrt receipes send them as well!

I am cutting out all sugar, yeast, wheat, caffeine) but will "cheat" from time

to time.. but obviously won't cheat on the gluten-free.

Any "bread" recipes will be helpful too.

Thanks!

AlwaysHope

rma451 Newbie

ken ,

Here is my recipe, but noticed aanother recipe on this forum that uses less eggs , I want to try that one too,lol see which one turns out best, gl

angel food cake

1 and 3/4 cup egg whites (14)

1/2 tsp salt

1 and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1 cup less 2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 tsp almond( I think needs 3/4 tsp)

1 tsp vanilla ( also think needs a little more )

sift 6x

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

1/3 cup powdered sugar( confectionary )

sift, set 1/2 cup aside ( will have enough to do another cake,I just froze till want)

beat egg whites till foamy,add tartar,salt, flavorings

continue until stiff

add sugar 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating until very stiff

now I took off mixer got a large medal spoon and sift the 1/2 cup flour mix over whites little at a time turn bowl often ,

put into ungreased tube pan cut through to level and prevent holes

bake 375*30 mins place a piece foil after10 mins or top will start to burn it will be high and dry looking when done , remove and turn upside down leave for several hours. my family loved its :D texture was right on , beautiful , light and airy my familys only complain was they didnt think enough flavoring , why I gave you my changes but you decide, we just ate it plain no fruit or cream , gl

AlwaysHope Rookie
ken ,

Here is my recipe, but noticed aanother recipe on  this forum that uses less eggs , I want to try that one too,lol see which one turns out best, gl

angel food cake

1 and 3/4 cup egg whites (14)

1/2 tsp salt

1 and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1 cup less 2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 tsp almond( I think needs 3/4 tsp)

1 tsp vanilla  ( also think needs a little more )

sift 6x

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

1/3 cup powdered sugar( confectionary )

sift, set 1/2 cup aside ( will have enough to do another cake,I just froze till want)

beat egg whites till foamy,add tartar,salt, flavorings

continue until stiff

add sugar 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating until very stiff

now I took off mixer got a large medal spoon and sift the 1/2 cup flour mix over whites little at a time  turn bowl often ,

put into ungreased tube pan cut through to level and prevent holes

bake 375*30 mins  place a piece foil after10 mins or top will start to burn  it will be high and dry looking when done , remove and turn upside down leave for several hours.  my family loved its :D  texture was right on , beautiful , light and airy  my familys only complain was they didnt think enough flavoring , why I gave you my changes but you decide, we just ate it plain no  fruit  or cream ,  gl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! Why do you set aside 1/2 the recipe? Why doesn't it just make one cake??

(obviously I am not much of a baker.. LOL)

AlwaysHope

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Japsnoet Explorer

:P I’m a big fan of Carol Fenster recipes. I have all her books I specially use Special Diet Solutions and Gluten-Free Celebrations as they have a number of yeast free bread recipes in. www.celiac.com sells them. She has a new book coming out Cooking Free: 220 Recipes for People with Food Allergies and Multiple Food Sensitivities by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. in the next couple of months. She always has some great tips regarding bread baking on her site. I find her bread recipes really easy to follow and they tend to be over all very successful. See some of her recipes below.

Open Original Shared Link

I really like the Pumpkin bread it is yeast free. :rolleyes:

rma451 Newbie
Thanks!  Why do you set aside 1/2 the recipe?  Why doesn't it just make one cake?? 

AlwaysHope

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that seeing the flour mix has to be sifted so many times it would be hard to just do the 1/2 cup you need for 1 cake with the 3 diffrent types used .

I also do this for my cookie flours , when I get them all out I sift and mix enough for at least 3 separate batches and seal and freeze remainer that way I dont have to go through all the work of measure and sifting each time . also label because a few times I didnt then with the diffrent bags of flours I keep I didnt know which was which,lol havent done that again. gl rosie

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Thanks Ken,

I went out last week and bought the ingredients for this recipe.

It was GREAT!!!!

we had a family BBQ and there were so many desserts that my son and I aren't allowed. <_<

Did we feel deprieved???? :huh:

Not one bit!!!!!

I blended fresh strawberries and made fresh wipped cream, delish!!! :D

Thanks Again,

Annie

BabySnooks Rookie
Thanks!  Why do you set aside 1/2 the recipe?  Why doesn't it just make one cake?? 

AlwaysHope

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Japsnoet:

I hate the gluten-free breads from the specialty stores. I have tried a couple of brands, even Kinnickinnik (sp?)which someone said was very good. For my taste, it sucks!

You mention Carol Fenster recipes. Is her recipe for sandwich bread worth making, or is it pretty much like the heavy, non-breadlike loaves on the gluten-free shelves? ;)

Japsnoet Explorer

BabySnooks :D

Carol has the best selection of yeast free breads that I have found so far. She is currently refining her techniques in Italy have a look on her web site. Before my gluten-free days I use to buy the most delicious chewy sourdough bread at the local German bakery. Of all the breads I have tried I would say hers is the best so far. I really like the yeast-free pumpernickel bread. I must say that I toast all gluten-free bread and have it either with avocado , hommus , eggplant dip, tahini or a lot of toppings as I prefer the topping to the bread. I have never been a big pasta, bread or pastry person. I would definitely give some of Carol’s recipes a go. Bette Hagman also has some really good recipes. I like Carol recipes a lot as they tend to be very versatile in the sense that she gives you alternative ideas for replacing ingredients if you have any allergies to other food groups. Many of the other gluten-free cooks tend to be a lot more rigid with their recipes and don’t provides much opportunity of adaptations for a person with special dietary restrictions or their food is really bland. I must say that I have not found a store bought bread in Oz yet that I would write home about I find banking my own works out a lot better, it is just a bit time consuming. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hello,

I have tried to do a search for the angelfood cake that uses less eggs. ken mentioed that someone posted a recipe that used less eggs then his recipe.

I loved Ken's angelfood cake and so did the rest of my family but 14 eggs is quite a lot.

If someone can remember it and post it again I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Annie

Guest Viola

I use the egg whites that you can buy in the little cartons. There is two cartons to a pack, and each carton contains 8 egg whites. Careful though, if your recipe calls for large egg whites, you have to add an extra one. You find these in the dairy case close to the eggs. That way you don't have to deal with any yolks. :P

rma451 Newbie
Hello,

I have tried to do a search for the angelfood cake that uses less eggs. ken mentioed that someone posted a recipe that used less eggs then his recipe.

I loved Ken's angelfood cake and so did the rest of my family but 14 eggs is quite a lot.

If someone can remember it and post it again I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Annie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi,

sorry dont get to this site every day, on page 4 of this forum is the angel food cake with less eggs, the person who posted it said also she found the recipe on the box of swan potato starch flour, I know wegmans carries this if you have one need you.

gl hope this helped

rosie

New york state, USA

Archived