This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prenatal Vitamin.......gluten Free?

KristaleeJane

KristaleeJane Contributor

Hi

I just found out I am pregnant, about 5.5 weeks only. I went to my local health food store and bought the most expensive prenatal because it said gluten free on it. New Chapter Organics Multi for Two and it also contains a Whole food supplement in it. But when I got home I noticed that in the whole food ingredients, Oats is listed. I know there is a lot of contraverse over oats, and personally I have never been able to stomach them, they have caused me diahrea in the past. Just wondering what to do, it doesn't say the amount of oats in them so maybe I should call the company and see if it is only a very small amount I could risk it. I just don't think they should be labeled gluten free, when they contain oats. Plus I am trying to be extra careful now that I am pregnant for the first time after trying for two years.

Any thoughts on this one.......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

it varies company to company, but I believe even the soon-to-be-enacted FDA guidelines on what can be labeled gluten free allows oats, since 90% of celiacs do not appear to react to uncontaminated oats. (no, no, this says nothing about contamination, but that's a different ball of wax and I'm guessing the FDA didn't give it serious consideration.) just one reason you ALWAYS have to read the ingredients, regardless of what a "gluten free" label says.

it's up to you. I take the Rainbow Light prenatal, which I've been happy with. (I'm 8 weeks. :) ) I probably wouldn't take the one with oats (and if you haven't unwrapped it, you could probably take it back), but that's me.

abbysmom Rookie

Congrats on the pregnancy! I am 16 weeks with baby #3 and I take GNC prenatal vitamins w/ iron. It clearly states No Wheat, No Gluten. I took them with baby #2 as well and have had no problems. They are sold at all GNC stores and are $17.99 (I think!) for 120 caplets.

I picked some new ones up at Costco, they sound like the ones your talking about. So I think I will email the company to find out how much oats is in them for starters. Thanks for the info and congrats. :)

MBMoore Newbie

I am almost 9 weeks and have been taking Nature Made Prenatal Vitamins which are gluten-free since july. Congrats on your new addition!

I emailed the company with my concern about oats in the Vitamin

Hello, I recently purchased the Multi for Two Prenatal vitamin. I have celiac disease and noticed they are gluten free. But once I read the Food complex I noticed oats were included in the ingrediets. I looked into it and this is what I found out: Most oats have been contaminated with some wheat-gluten, and consequently are not good for people with celiac disease. Individuals with celiac disease who wish to add oats or oat products to their diet must ensure that the oats they are eating are free from gluten contamination. Could you please clarify this issue on oats, and also what is the quantity of oats in the Multi For Two, Prenatal Vitamin?? Thanks Krista

This is the response I received:

Hi Krista,

Thank you for your inquiry and for your kind support of New Chapter. Yes, all of New Chapter

Heidi S. Rookie

That response is not very comforting. She was speaking of cross contamination of machines in their manufacturing process but not about what oats they use and if they are gluten free before being added. It is hard to get oats from a oat only factory. I would personally not take the chance. I would take them back and get something with no oats.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I agree, I will be returning them.. Thanks for your input!! :)

• 1 month later...
rebecauk Newbie

Hi guys,

Im only 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant and using PREGNACARE......from what i read its gluten free.have u heard of it before???

Thanks,

Rebeca

amberlynn Contributor

When I was breastfeeding my very food intolerant oldest son I found the Kirkman's Prenatal Vitamin. I really like it, it didn't make me sick or constipated like the ones I took when pregnant. I used it through my 2nd pregnancy (and still take them!).

Open Original Shared Link

I really do highly recommend it.

• 2 months later...
astroGF Newbie

I'm also using Rainbow Light that I got at Whole Foods. They are also vegan if you care about that. I really like luckyvitamin.com for ordering meds, though, as they have an icon to let you know which ones are gluten free as well as many other symbols for those with other allergies/concerns.

CCM Rookie

I haven't been on this forum in a while but am glad to come back for discussions just like this one. I am (finally) pregnant again and picked up the same New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Vitamins from Whole Foods as soon as I found out. I did not see the "oats" listed in the ingredients (I really do need bifocals I guess!), but I did see the "naturally gluten free" and I didn't expect to see oats under the "herbal" ingredients. Anyway, I did not come understand that the really crappy stuff I have been going through the past three weeks was due to the vitamin. Gassy, sour/acidic stomach, acid reflux, brain fog, moodiness and fatigue and then poor sleep. I mean all of things could be chalked up to morning sickness! It kept getting worse with every day and especially after each meal. I finally put it together with one day's worth of pills left in the bottle.

IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO OATS, DO NOT TAKE NEW CHAPTER ORGANICS VITAMINS.

Twenty-fours later now and I feeling much better. But I am paranoid as to what has been happening to the baby with all this going on the past few weeks. I am picking up a prescription for O-Cal at the pharmacy today. It so hard to figure all this out on your own when the OB office doesn't want to see you until at least 8 weeks out. I am learning from my doctor that 1000 mcg (or 1 mg?) is now the recommended level of folic acid, especially because folks are on low-carb diets or, like us, not eating all the grain products that have already been enriched with folic acid. Also higher levels of iron 27-35 mg daily, which you cannot get in many (or any?) otc vitamins.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on this forum in a while but am glad to come back for discussions just like this one. I am (finally) pregnant again and picked up the same New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Vitamins from Whole Foods as soon as I found out. I did not see the "oats" listed in the ingredients (I really do need bifocals I guess!), but I did see the "naturally gluten free" and I didn't expect to see oats under the "herbal" ingredients. Anyway, I did not come understand that the really crappy stuff I have been going through the past three weeks was due to the vitamin. Gassy, sour/acidic stomach, acid reflux, brain fog, moodiness and fatigue and then poor sleep. I mean all of things could be chalked up to morning sickness! It kept getting worse with every day and especially after each meal. I finally put it together with one day's worth of pills left in the bottle.

IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO OATS, DO NOT TAKE NEW CHAPTER ORGANICS VITAMINS.

Twenty-fours later now and I feeling much better. But I am paranoid as to what has been happening to the baby with all this going on the past few weeks. I am picking up a prescription for O-Cal at the pharmacy today. It so hard to figure all this out on your own when the OB office doesn't want to see you until at least 8 weeks out. I am learning from my doctor that 1000 mcg (or 1 mg?) is now the recommended level of folic acid, especially because folks are on low-carb diets or, like us, not eating all the grain products that have already been enriched with folic acid. Also higher levels of iron 27-35 mg daily, which you cannot get in many (or any?) otc vitamins.

So you actually reacted to these vitamins too?? I know that I have never been able to handle oats and I am definatly not willing to try while pregnant. I thought I was doing my body and my baby a favor by getting these expensive whole food vitamins which were gluten free but obviously not. I am going to try and return them even thought they are now opened and used. I wish companies were not aloud to label stuff gluten free if they contained oats. Is there a rule on this at all?? Well good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and feeling better hopefully!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
katinagj Apprentice

If you need something cheaper. Flinstones vitamins work well. My doctor told me they were fine to take. I had researched and found that many doctors actually recommend them when pregnant women get sick from the iron in regular prenatals. They have all the right vitamins in them. I take one daily along with extra folic acid(I think 400-600 mcg). Mine actually arent flinstones brand they are equate(walmart) brand and have the same stuff in them, but only $8 for a 150 count bottle, take one a day and they are gluten free and easier on your stomach since they are originally made for kids.

Archived