This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Having An Endescopy. Celiac Test. Does It Hurt? Risks? What Do They Do? How Long Is It For?... Etc?

domoboy

domoboy Newbie

I havent had any symptoms, however the blood test went back posotive.

On the letter, it does not say it is an endescopy just a 'operation/biopsy'

Does it hurt? Risks? What do they do? How long is it for? Is it uncomfortable? What do they give me?

And any tips.

I am also a Type 1 diabetic.

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Hi domoboy and welcome,

Your GI doc certainly should have gone through the process with you. You will be given a light anesthetic and the DR will put a very small scope down your throat (it's about as wide as a pinky finger) and into your small bowel. Depending on how much and what kind of drug they give you (I only had a teeny amount of valium, not enough in my and my sister-in-law who is a DR's opinion) you shouldn't feel much and shouldn't remember much of the procedure afterwards. Some people gag a little bit (they will spray the back of your throat to numb it so your gag reflex will be temporarily blocked).

You will have to stick around afterwards to make sure the numbness goes away in the back of your throat and you shouldn't eat until it is completely gone (I think they told me an hour?). You will probably have a sore throat afterwards and bloating/gas. They have to blow air into your belly/small bowel to see properly so you'll need to burp to try and get it back out. You shouldn't feel any pain from the biopsies, but some have reported a bit of discomfort in their stomach afterwards too.

They'll probably monitor you even more carefully because of your diabetes, so you should get the best treatment :) You should definitely ask lots of questions until you feel comfortable with the procedure. For most people it doesn't take long (I've heard as quick as 5 minutes and mine took 30 minutes) and they don't remember much of it. The risks are low and include bleeding from the biopsy site (they're very teeny biopsies so it shouldn't be a concern) and choking if you try to eat while your throat is still numb (they should make sure the numbness is gone before you leave the hospital).

I remember the entire thing so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have :) But I am not a DR and you should definitely talk to your GI to make sure you get an expert's advice. It's definitely worth getting it done to find out if you have celiac disease and also to rule out any other problems that your DR will check for while looking in you stomach and small bowel.

Good luck :)

Jillian

I havent had any symptoms, however the blood test went back posotive.

On the letter, it does not say it is an endescopy just a 'operation/biopsy'

Does it hurt? Risks? What do they do? How long is it for? Is it uncomfortable? What do they give me?

And any tips.

I am also a Type 1 diabetic.

Cheers

DingoGirl Enthusiast

hmmm...I had a totally different experience than Jillian, but was also having a colonoscopy......

they put me completely out and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r: It took me to my Magic Place, and for many hours afterward.....best nap of my life!! (and last day I ate real fried chicken :( )

There was no pain whatsoever......was given a drip........tranquilizer name escapes me now......but it was so painless. Don't worry! You'll be fine, no matter what they give you, you won't feel a thing!

:)

Let us know the results.

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Yes, having read others' posts about their experiences, it seems my negative experience was a very unique one (lucky me <_< ). For most people it's a breeze, and I'm sure it will be for you :)

HouseKat Apprentice
hmmm...I had a totally different experience than Jillian, but was also having a colonoscopy......

they put me completely out and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r: It took me to my Magic Place, and for many hours afterward.....best nap of my life!! (and last day I ate real fried chicken :( )

There was no pain whatsoever......was given a drip........tranquilizer name escapes me now......but it was so painless. Don't worry! You'll be fine, no matter what they give you, you won't feel a thing!

:)

Let us know the results.

I just had my second endoscopy on Friday and like the first time the worst part was when they put in my IV. After that they wheeled me in, did the throat spray, then knocked me out. They used Demerol and something else on me for the sedation.

Kate

cyberprof Enthusiast

Most people report no pain and are out the whole time. The procedure (endo only) takes about 20 minutes...some docs do 10 a day easy.

For me, they gave me an IV (that's the only hard part). I wore stretchy pants and a tee-shirt, didn't have to get undressed. They walked me in, laid down on the table. They sprayed the back of my throat with the numbing stuff. That's when they increased the drug in the IV and I was out. I felt a little pressure on my throat but otherwise don't remember anything. Woke up in the recovery room. Didn't feel too woozzy but had a driver to drive me home. Had wheat pasta (they had no idea I had celiac- they were checking for an ulcer) for lunch and took a long nap. No side effects, not even a sore throat. Easy.

Even with diabetes you should have an easy time. Good luck and don't stress.

• 2 weeks later...
domoboy Newbie

Thanks everyone.

Having it done on tuesday, going in tommorow.

I shall let you know how i got on

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pewpewlasers Rookie

Has anyone ever been awake to watch on the screen?

I'm getting one on the 13th and I am curious to see what it looks like in there. I heard some people don't get completely knocked out and they can watch, but haven't had anyone say so personally.

jkr Apprentice

I've had two and never was awake to watch on the screen. I was showed a picture after I woke up. I don't think I could do that. The thought of something going down my throat makes me want to gag!

I didn't have any problems during the procedure. The only thing I experienced was a little discomfort in my stomach for a few days. Pepto Bismol helped that.

kelseypink15 Newbie

Hey! I am new, so here goes my first post :D

I have had stomach pain, bloating, and cramping for almost a year now, and I went through about a million and six different tests to find out what was wrong with me (I had also lost a lot of weight). So, after a while I was finally referred to a gastroenterologist, who diagnosed me with IBS. Well, he gave me an anti-spasmodic for that, but I still had symptoms... So eventually we went to a different gastro, who agreed to do the endoscopy. My blood tests came back negative for celiac, but the genetic test said I had a high risk... So i just had my endoscopy on Friday, and we are awaiting the biopsy results!

Anyways, I had my procedure done at a children's hospital because I am under 18. So for my procedure, they had a bunch of different people come explain to me EXACTLY what was going to happen. Then they gave me the option of getting the I.V. first, then the mask, or the mask and then the I.V. Needless to say, I was all for the "let me pass out and THEN stick me with a needle" option! Lucky me! :D So then they had me take some deep breaths in the mask, and then the nest thing I knew, it was about 20 minutes later and I was all done! I got to see the pictures that they took while they were in my body! That was really cool, and they even let me keep them hahaha :P

Overall, it was a very good experience, and they took really good care of me. I only have a little bit of stomach pain and a sore throat from the procedure, but definitely NOT bad!

Sorry this post is so long!

Kelsey :)

Archived