This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tried School Again Today.

cyoshimit

cyoshimit Apprentice

I tried to go to school today, Iv been out for thepast 5 days so I really wanted to get back to school and get caught up. I guess I didnt eat enough to make up for the stress and anxiety that would burn through my sugars this morning... This morning I was totally fine then when I got to school i was so so. I really trie to stick it out. I was 30 min early for my class as i usually am then a few mins later i noticed my syptoms of "fog" start to come into play. I started snacking right away. I felt weak and shaky. Long story short i had to bite the bullet and head home right away. I had a chance to talk to two of my teachers about whats happening with me right now so they understand why im not in class. I know that there are worse things to have in this world, but right now my life is changing so this is a big deal to me. Im doing my best to stay positive trying to push through this dang thing. Its been about one month that I have been gluten free. Does anyone know how long the hard part last before you can get back to the usual normal routine? its not going to be like this forever right?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Heidi S. Rookie
I tried to go to school today, Iv been out for thepast 5 days so I really wanted to get back to school and get caught up. I guess I didnt eat enough to make up for the stress and anxiety that would burn through my sugars this morning... This morning I was totally fine then when I got to school i was so so. I really trie to stick it out. I was 30 min early for my class as i usually am then a few mins later i noticed my syptoms of "fog" start to come into play. I started snacking right away. I felt weak and shaky. Long story short i had to bite the bullet and head home right away. I had a chance to talk to two of my teachers about whats happening with me right now so they understand why im not in class. I know that there are worse things to have in this world, but right now my life is changing so this is a big deal to me. Im doing my best to stay positive trying to push through this dang thing. Its been about one month that I have been gluten free. Does anyone know how long the hard part last before you can get back to the usual normal routine? its not going to be like this forever right?

I am a little confused, maybe I am strange but upon going gluten free I was feeling stomach and mentally better in 2-3 weeks noticing an improvement. Are you still getting glutened? When you get ready for school do you shower with gluten containing shampoo or soap, use any sort of gluten containing makeup, chapstick or lotion? I would check your morning routine and make sure you are not getting exposed getting ready or in your car or school. I carry gluten free wipes like equate brand or wet-ones and wipe off the steering wheel/desk at work. They maybe using chemicals that are making you sick. Sounds to me like you are still getting glutened and that is why you are not improving.

mysecretcurse Contributor

I think it definitely could take A LOT longer than 2-3 weeks to heal, and you are right that if the OP is still having problems they could be being glutened somehow. I started my gluten free diet in 2008 but I would say it probably took me at least 6 months to get all the gluten out of my diet (because of things I didnt know about like vitamins, shampoo etc). Then after about a year I realized that I was also reacting to dairy so I cut dairy, corn and soy too. There is just such a learning curve with all this.

It sounds like you (OP) are having major blood sugar issues. I used to have extremely bad hypoglycemia issues for years before I knew I was celiac. After some time spent gluten free, my blood sugar completely regulated itself. I used to have to carry energy bars and fruit everywhere in case I had a crash, and now I don't have to worry about eating at all, I rarely if ever have a crash anymore.

Hang in there! Your body as a LOT to heal from. It's going to take some time to learn everything about how to protect yourself as a celiac. Just understand that mistakes will be made and keep learning.

missy'smom Collaborator

I would agree that you may have blood sugar swings going on, based on the way you describe your body reacting. This can happen even in people without diabetes. It is important to eat plenty of protein and some fat with those carbs. The protein and fat slow the rate at which the carbs hit your blood stream and prevent those highs followed by lows. Protein and fat in place of some of the carbs give a slower release over time so a more stable source of energy. It also would be a good idea to pick more slowly digested carbs if you aren't already-think brown versions of rice and bread and whole grains(gluten-free ones) or nuts.

butterfl8 Rookie

I agree with missy's mom. A more balanced diet is better. Even though we've cut out the gluten, we still need proteins and even some good fats to get all of the energy our bodies need to keep going. Fruits are great carry-along muchies, and the risk of CC with a banana is non existent! (I call them my little life savers). Hopefully you will feel better soon. And no, it can't be like this forever or no one would live so long with this! We will make it!

-Daisy

Archived