This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rushed, Stressed, And Hungry

Guest imsohungry

Guest imsohungry

Hey everybody!

I just have to know...how do you all stay gluten-free? I have completely gone back to eating gluten for several months now, and I know that I shouldn't. I am just about to SCREAM trying to stay gluten-free, go to college, work, do my internship, and deal with nonstop seizures!

However, I know some of you handle all of this plus you have children!!!! :blink: I just need some "words of wisdom" (actually, time management skills) from you ladies/gents who are able to stay gluten-free regularly.

I find my biggest problem is lack of energy/motivation after getting home from my internship at 7:00 pm...I just want to sit down!...speaking of sitting down...I've put on 25 pounds since I've started eating gluten again! I suppose that the last thing I need to do is sit! :lol:

My work days are about twelve hours long as I finish up my internship for my Masters program. Any support or ideas for cooking from you other busy adults/college students out there is appreciated! Take Care everyone. -Julie ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

minibabe Contributor

I totally understand how you feel. It just really s*cks that when you are gluten-free for a month and then go and eat somthing you are not supposed to, but you didnt even know, it is so discouraging.

I find that possibly carring around some nuts, or cut up fruit, or maybe even some gluten-free pretzels, they work as great snacks. But my diet....or at least all I have time for right now is 7-11 tea and cereal. It is really bad, but I work two jobs, go to school full time and I just accepted an internship for the summer. Along with the gym, and finding time for my boyfriend. There are just not enough hours in the day.

But eating fruit would help cut down on the calorie in take. But it is really important that you stay gluten-free, because you are hurting yourself if you dont. I suggestion maybe, to get rid of the things in your house that you are not supposed to eat, so that there are no urges.

A good lunch idea would be to have a grilled chicken salad, with water and a snack. It is pretty quick and is realtivly healthly for you.

At night, maybe set a goal for yourself and dont eat after a certain time, that really helps, by not eating after 8 o'clock.

I wish you the best of luck, and really try and not eat gluten, you could be doing some serious damage to your self.

:) GOOD LUCK :)

Amanda

tarnalberry Community Regular

Realize that part of what may make you feel like doing nothing other than sitting down when you get home IS the fact that you're eating gluten. It's damaging you, and has a number of physical effects, and that may well be one of them.

Yeah, some days things are really busy. The nuts/fruits suggestion is a good fast one, as is simply learning what sorts of things you can make that don't seem like work to you.

For instance... is 15 minutes of chopping too much work? If it's not, you can make both chicken soup and beef stew by simply doing the chopping, then going about your other business at home for 40 minutes, then eating, and having leftovers for the next day (or two or three!).

There are plenty of other things you can make that you can prepare and eat in 15 minute if you need to, but again, you just have to get familiar with what works for you. I'll make either a shrimp salad with avocado, a bean salad, or tuna tacos (no cooking required for any of those) in those sorts of situations.

It's a habit that you just have to get into - just not sitting down first, and instead heading into the kitchen BEFORE sitting down. I know it can be really hard, and I struggled with it when I was working 14-16 hour days a few weeks ago myself. But if you don't take care of your body, you'll just feel worse and worse.

Don't forget to take any time you have on the weekends to prepare ingredients and make stuff that you can store for a few days in the fridge or freezer to make the week eaiser.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I just need some "words of wisdom" (actually, time management skills) from you ladies/gents who are able to stay gluten-free regularly.

When I am super busy I have to plan and/or cook ahead of time. I also go to university and sometimes I have to spend like 12+ hours there at a time, so I have found ways to cope. My tips:

-when you cook, make LOTS of extra food and store the leftovers in the fridge or freezer for lunches and dinners.

-For a quick no fuss lunch/dinner I eat instant Thai Kitchen rice soup, it's really good and filling. Most of their products are gluten free but here are a few that are not:

Open Original Shared Link

I like Thai Ginger and Spring Onion Soup, they are gluten-free.

-cook the night before

-This is my favorite, I cook Tinkyada brown rice noodles in the morning while I am getting ready to go to university. Right before I go, I drain the noodles and put Ragu sauce on them in a tuperware dish. This is so easy!

- I also bring lots of extra snacks

Guest gfinnebraska

You also can always grab fresh fruit, juice, cheese... those are the things I grab. Today was a good example of NO time! Rush home, let the new puppy out, grab items that have to be delivered to the high school and rush back to work ~ all in my 1/2 hour lunch break!! I just grabbed a bag of grapes and a bottle of 100% juice and ate at my desk after I got back! :) The individual bags of pretzels, cookies, energy bars, etc. also make good grab-n-go meals/snacks. Or make up some tuna salad and put it on a salad... yummy!! There are tons of options out there for quick meals. It just takes planning the night before. Eating gluten is NOT the answer... as others have said. I can not imagine putting gluten in my mouth on purpose. You will find ways around your schedule ~ it just takes experience!!! Good luck! :D

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Always remember that a basic, no nonsense gluten free diet is 10 times better for you than a highly varied non-gluten free diet. If you have time constraints, then basic gluten free (toast with peanut butter, fruits, vegetables, salad, rice, etc. etc.) should win over a gluten meal anytime.... even if it means you lose on the variety of things you can have.Also, you have to get creative. When I am on the fly and need supper, sometimes I just throw some nachos with salsa and cheese in the microwave - 1 minute meal.

By not staying gluten-free, you have to remember the damage you are doing. Five or ten years down the road, you could be dealing with a major health crisis and then you would be kicking yourself in the butt for not sticking to the diet.....

Karen

mommida Enthusiast

All the suggestions are great. Have you looked into the slow cooker/crockpot? You can have dinner hot and waiting for you. It makes it easy to have the quantity for frozen leftovers or tomorrow's lunch. Splurge for the gluten free mix for a dessert and freeze into single serving sizes. If you make bread freeze it 2 slices to a bag for a sandwich. It is easier to resist junk food during the day knowing you have a special gluten-free brownie or cookie waiting for you in the freezer. Grocery stores are selling salad mixes premade. (I would still rinse it.)

L.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest imsohungry

Hey everybody!

Thank you so much for your input. I need to take this weekend and get organized to be gluten-free again....my kitchen is full of gluten. At one time, I had my house gluten-free. I need to look through my crockpot cookbook and see if I can come up with some quick and good recipes that I can modify to be gluten-free. Also, if I take fruit instead of candybars to work, I bet my energy level won't spike and dip so easily. Thanks ya'll, all ideas are appreciated! -Julie ;)

Guest gfinnebraska

One thing I like to keep in the freezer for a special treat is Dietary Specialties Choc. cake. I bake it into mini bundt cakes and freeze each one in a zip lock bag!!

THEN, when I feel like I need a treat... yummy!!! I even like it best frozen!! It is really good!!! :) IF you can make up things like that on the weekend, then you won't feel so out of control during the week! There are SO many gluten-free yummy things out there... just takes finding the best ones for you and having them handy. :)

hsd1203 Newbie

everyone has really great ideas... this past year, I had a super busy school schedule and found that even with the extra time it took to cook for myself gluten-free, I was actually getting more done, with more energy, more able to concentrate, less grumpy, and improved sleep... so in the end I figured out I didnt have the time NOT to eat gluten-free.

best wishes, H

Guest imsohungry

Again,

Thank you everyone! :) I am taking this afternoon to make up a gluten-free "main meal" shopping list. I need some fruit too (for on-the-go snacking)! ;) Everyone take care. -Julie

Guest imsohungry

Hey Carrie,

I went to that Thai site...good stuff. And it is sold locally too! Thanks!!! :PB)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
And it is sold locally too!

Oh you're lucky! I can get them locally too, they are really quick and convenient! I love the Thai Ginger and Spring Onion bag and bowel soups. mmm so good. I have tried some of the others, but they aren't as good (to me anyway).

The hot +sour soup and the Lemongrass and Chili Rice Noodle contain gluten according to their website. All the rest should be safe, I have never had a problem with them.

debm5 Newbie

Julie,

Please tell me more about your seizures. I have them too. I have no energy either. I gained 45 lbs since 8/04 gluten-free.

Thank You!! Debbie

Guest imsohungry

Hey Carrie,

I bought a box of Thai at the grocery....can't wait to try it! (I forgot the bean sprouts though...so I gotta make another trip to the store) :)

Hey Debbie,

I have simple and complex-partial sx, and tonic-clonic/g-mal. I still have many seizures a month; although they have decreased since having the VNS implanted. Also, I am hoping staying gluten-free may help my seizures decrease more. Have your seizures decreased since going gluten-free? Take Care of yourself!

-Julie B)

debm5 Newbie

Hi Julie,

My seizures are classified as psuedo seizures. In the er they told me that they are fake! BOY, was I confussed. I am glad not to have epi spells, but the spells are hard to deal with. The next day after a spell I am wiped out. I had a strange one

while at my neuro appt. He wants me to be monitored overnight with the probes in my head. All my other test since march 2004 all came back negitive.I have read that celiac disease can cause many other things. I have had anemia, infertility battles and seizures. I have been off work since 3/04. I can't be trusted to drive, go for walks alone, doing exercise can make me feel as if my legs can't move and running out of steam.I have slipped up I'm sure more than I may know about gluten-free. But I try to live gluten-free.

I hope your spells get under control.

This is hard to deal with.

Debbie

Guest imsohungry

Hi Debbie,

Have you ever visited the Epilepsy Foundation of America's website?

Open Original Shared Link

There are people on the site who have been told that they have pseudoseizures and found out that they have epilepsy with further testing. However, if you do have pseudoseizures and not epilepsy, it is actually a good thing...because they are easily "fixed." A pseudoseizure is simply a kind of "panic attack" and millions of americans have panic attacks...there are medications out there that can help.

Good luck to you! I hope you are feeling better soon. :) -Julie

pogirl1786 Apprentice

i'm a little late coming onto this, but i've had the same problem trying to find easy things to eat. it seems like ever since i gave up gluten, eating became such a chore. with work and school, it is hard to find time to eat, especially eating healthy and gluten free. for me, i've found what works is packing some gluten-free crackers and a gluten-free energy bar that i found at a health food store. also, craft makes some individually packaged squares of cheese that have 6g of protein in them, which are really good for something quick. i've also found what works is taking half a day occasionally and making up a bunch of food to freeze, so when you get home all you have to do is stick it in the microwave. i make up a big batch of taco soup to freeze, and that and chips make a good meal. also, if you want something from the drive-thru that's healthy and extremely easy to eat, chick-fil-a has a good charcoal grilled chicken salad. i'm not much of a salad person from anywhere, but this one is actually good. they give croutons with the salad in a separate plastic bag, so there's less worry about having to deal with cross-contamination. also, if you have time occasionally, my family will bar-b-q a bunch of chicken and meat to freeze and eat whenever we want something easy.

going gluten-free is difficult, but adding school and work and everything else in life makes it really frustrating! good luck and hang in there!

amyfeistel Newbie
Hey everybody!

Thank you so much for your input. I need to take this weekend and get organized to be gluten-free again....my kitchen is full of gluten. At one time, I had my house gluten-free. I need to look through my crockpot cookbook and see if I can come up with some quick and good recipes that I can modify to be gluten-free. Also, if I take fruit instead of candybars to work, I bet my energy level won't spike and dip so easily. Thanks ya'll, all ideas are appreciated! -Julie ;)

Julie,

You can also invest in buying gluten-free frozen lunches for on the run at work/school. I do this because I often eat at my desk during the workday. Each week I grocery shop for the lunches I want to eat. Amy's Frozen Foods are gluten-free, healthy, organic, and absolutely delicious. You can read more here: Open Original Shared Link

You have to keep your kitchen gluten-free. My partner does want gluten stuff sometimes so he celebrates (in a way) by going out to eat with his friends. Otherwise, he eats gluten-free with me. It's nearly impossible to have restraint if there are gluten-foods sitting around the house tempting you all the time.

You have to plan but you can do it. I know, because I travel a lot and I take my gluten-free food with me, too. Here are some planning/time-management tips:

1. make a list of what you want to eat that week.

2. from your list of what you want to eat, write another list of all the ingredients--this is your shopping list

3. plan to grocery shop one night each week and dedicate that time to shopping (it will take a while to read labels, etc.)

I usually cook 4 nights out of the week and eat leftovers the other 3 nights.

Plan to cook on your least busy nights (mine are Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun). If you don't have storage containers on hand, buy some so you can store the leftovers.

You can do it! :)

cheers, Amy

Archived