This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2 Months And Still Constipated

glutengal

glutengal Contributor

I have been gluten free for 2 months now and am still very constipated. It is very strange because I do not have any bloating or abdominal pain and do not strain when going to the bathroom. I am lucky to have a couple of pellet size bm's once in a while, maybe every 4-10 days. I am only eating at this time meat (chicken and turkey), veggies, a few fruits, and spinach salad. I have tried everything from magnesium, prune juice and prunes , lemon water, ground flaxseed, sweet potatoes and at the beginning even ate more grains but that did not help so I eliminated them and dairy and still not any better. I went to my GP last Thursday and she suggested trying Miralax and even after a week that is not working either. I am just not sure what is going on or if it is something serious as I am having no pain at all. Also GP did blood work including thyroid as I am hypothyroid and that all came back fine. So am I worried for nothing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast
I have been gluten free for 2 months now and am still very constipated. It is very strange because I do not have any bloating or abdominal pain and do not strain when going to the bathroom. I am lucky to have a couple of pellet size bm's once in a while, maybe every 4-10 days. I am only eating at this time meat (chicken and turkey), veggies, a few fruits, and spinach salad. I have tried everything from magnesium, prune juice and prunes , lemon water, ground flaxseed, sweet potatoes and atz gl the beginning even ate more grains but that did not help so I eliminated them and dairy and still not any better. I went to my GP last Thursday and she suggested trying Miralax and even after a week that is not working either. I am just not sure what is going on or if it is something serious as I am having no pain at all. Also GP did blood work including thyroid as I am hypothyroid and that all came back fine. So am I worried for nothing?
!

Are you drinking plenty of water? Those who tend to run C need more water. Try the old "8 8oz glasses a day" routine. Also, I found that probiotics really helped me a lot! 2 caps in the am, one 1 in the afternoon did the trick. Hope that helps!

glutengal Contributor
!

Are you drinking plenty of water? Those who tend to run C need more water. Try the old "8 8oz glasses a day" routine. Also, I found that probiotics really helped me a lot! 2 caps in the am, one 1 in the afternoon did the trick. Hope that helps!

Yes I drink tons of water and I am doing probiotics but nothing.

twe0708 Community Regular
Yes I drink tons of water and I am doing probiotics but nothing.

Constipated? I wish I had that problem! Tired of being loose! LOL Try a smoothie in the morning. Fresh blueberries - 1/2 cup, 1 banana and some strawberries in a blender with half of cup of crushed ice. You can also just do the blueberries and banana with ice. I usually have one every morning and need to stop for about a week to see if it firms me up. :P Good luck!

glutengal Contributor
Constipated? I wish I had that problem! Tired of being loose! LOL Try a smoothie in the morning. Fresh blueberries - 1/2 cup, 1 banana and some strawberries in a blender with half of cup of crushed ice. You can also just do the blueberries and banana with ice. I usually have one every morning and need to stop for about a week to see if it firms me up. :P Good luck!

Thanks I have tried that too.

burdee Enthusiast

I struggled with constipation for YEARS, even after eliminating gluten, dairy and several other food allergies from my diet. Probiotics helped somewhat, because they increased my 'gut motility' (things moved more quickly through my bowel). All the fiber and water in the world wouldn't help me if the stool stayed in my intestines too long. Lots of fiber and low motility just gave me large, hard impacted stools a couple of times.

If you have eliminated gluten and dairy (also causes constipation), consider getting a stool test for intestinal bacterial dysbiosis (too many bad bugs and not enough good bugs in your gut). If there are too many bad bacteria (or fungus or parasites) in your intestines, the bad bugs overwhelm the probiotics you take. You may have to kill off some of the bad bugs to allow the good bacteria from probiotics to proliferate. Also make sure your probiotics are viable (live, refrigerated, or freeze dried) and potent (at least 8-12 billion viable bacteria per capsule) enough to make a difference.

SUE

I have been gluten free for 2 months now and am still very constipated. It is very strange because I do not have any bloating or abdominal pain and do not strain when going to the bathroom. I am lucky to have a couple of pellet size bm's once in a while, maybe every 4-10 days. I am only eating at this time meat (chicken and turkey), veggies, a few fruits, and spinach salad. I have tried everything from magnesium, prune juice and prunes , lemon water, ground flaxseed, sweet potatoes and at the beginning even ate more grains but that did not help so I eliminated them and dairy and still not any better. I went to my GP last Thursday and she suggested trying Miralax and even after a week that is not working either. I am just not sure what is going on or if it is something serious as I am having no pain at all. Also GP did blood work including thyroid as I am hypothyroid and that all came back fine. So am I worried for nothing?
summerteeth Enthusiast

Have you tried exercising? I still get major bouts of C - I still get them at 1 year gluten-free - I make sure to work out and it seems to really help - but again, make sure to drink enough water.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kellylynn Rookie

I had nothing but tiny pellets every few days for months....it was unbelievably miserable. I tried water, exercise, fiber smoothies, colon-cleansing pills, and drinking prune juice mixed with aloe vera gel and NOTHING worked. I was at my wits end. My doctor recommend this product called Next to Nature Aloe, it worked wonders. I took too much at first, but having D was actually a welcome change. After just 2 weeks, I'm not taking it anymore and am back to normal. It's amazing and quite cheap. I had tired a different and more expensive aloe pill before, so I def. recommend this particular brand. They have a website. Hope this helps!

glutengal Contributor
I had nothing but tiny pellets every few days for months....it was unbelievably miserable. I tried water, exercise, fiber smoothies, colon-cleansing pills, and drinking prune juice mixed with aloe vera gel and NOTHING worked. I was at my wits end. My doctor recommend this product called Next to Nature Aloe, it worked wonders. I took too much at first, but having D was actually a welcome change. After just 2 weeks, I'm not taking it anymore and am back to normal. It's amazing and quite cheap. I had tired a different and more expensive aloe pill before, so I def. recommend this particular brand. They have a website. Hope this helps!

Thank you I will check into this.

Green Eyes Rookie

I have one additional suggestion. Cleansing the system and then starting a regimen may be recommended. Cleansing the system allows anything you are taking to work better and not playing the "catch up" game.

Using an enema to clean out the bowels may be needed before you begin taking something else. You can use something over the counter of simple water and soap.

I take miralax daily. If I have a good bm day then I remain on the same dosage. If I have constipation I will double and even triple the dose for the day (suggested by my doctor). I have to pay attention to my body but it is working!!!

I just love this board. What other group of people can you share such intimate information with!!! LOL

glutengal Contributor
I have one additional suggestion. Cleansing the system and then starting a regimen may be recommended. Cleansing the system allows anything you are taking to work better and not playing the "catch up" game.

Using an enema to clean out the bowels may be needed before you begin taking something else. You can use something over the counter of simple water and soap.

I take miralax daily. If I have a good bm day then I remain on the same dosage. If I have constipation I will double and even triple the dose for the day (suggested by my doctor). I have to pay attention to my body but it is working!!!

I just love this board. What other group of people can you share such intimate information with!!! LOL

I appreciate your suggestion as well as everyone elses. I did have a bm today that was pencil thin after a week of the miralax and am not sure about it being so thin but I will see how it goes in the next few days.

Archived